Arcade Fire - Everything Now (2017 album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LarsO, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Anger? Interesting? In the SH Forums? I'd call it ordinary, instead ;P

Regine's singing is definitely flawed, but she has a special passion that redeems it. Sprawl II on SNL is what made me love them (a short love, cause I found out that song is not representative of their general output) and shows it all.
    I think part of the weirdness of the recorded voice is the possibly severe amount of autotune it is passed through. Childlike, yes, but almost unrealistically perfectly pitched.

I do. And the Pitchfork one sums up my idea of the album quite well.
    But it took me month to "get" Reflektor. So...
    But it took me much less to get bored by it. So...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

The same essential discussion is circling a few other forums I use - I'm siding with Pitchfork (ugh, I don't like typing that!) on this one, but I have followed Arcade Fire since the beginning and I'll admit some of what the Pitchfork review leans on, is "expectation", what they "should" be doing, some of which is tripe.

The record simply doesn't move me, except into turning it off. It doesn't hit much of what I used to love the band for, nor does the material outside that perhaps narrow box hit the spot for me.

I could dress that up into 2 thousand words, but that's as plainly and honestly as I can put it :)

GentleSenator and The_Windmill like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Why would it not being representative of their general output make you love it less? Merely curious. :)

Or do you mean your love of Arcade Fire was short lived?

4. The_Windmill

The second one ;)

I still like them but that song gave me expectations they didn't fulfill.
    I was just imagining another band.
    Oh boy, it's the same with people, isn't it?

5. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Never been a fan of AF though they made at least 10 super good tunes. Outstanding maybe. Also I am still amused how they became that big in the world (of course not that big as were U2 in their prime, even not that big as U2 now). I checked new album once. Flow is great, interesting ideas here and there. Never go deep in their lyrics especially.

6. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Same thing happened here. I fell in love with Sprawl II and then quickly realized that Win sings pretty much everything else and sounds like a Bono wannabe without the pipes.

The_Windmill likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I don't really care about reviews but looking at Metacritic there's zero denying that "Everything Now" is getting substantially less love than the albums that came before it.

"Reflektor" holds an 80% score - which is respectable for a fourth album - but "EN" only has 66%. It's weird because I really think the album is well done but apparently not many people seem to agree.

Let's see how "Everything Now" will be regarded once it's successor comes out.

8. The_Windmill

If (and it's a big if) I read them, is just to see if someone else thinks the same as me :)
    I've seen praise and hate but yes, overall I have your same feeling.
    Generally it seems to be disappointing. Either for musical reasons or for a general direction the band is taking.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Bland, boring, uninspired and unoriginal.

Arcade Fire define what I have disliked about almost every new band/artist I have heard for the past 20 years or so. They all sound to me like they're musically regurgitating something that was done better in the past by someone artistically superior to them.

To me Arcade Fire = all style and not much substance.

10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Oh c'mon man, don't sugarcoat it!... :):)

Mazzy and erikdavid5000 like this.
  11. The_Windmill

To each his own, but I think that's a little excessive.

But I agree about the uniformation of new music acts.
    Especially indie: so much people seem to be repeating the same clichés.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

You don't like The Strokes?:whistle:

13. Neonbeam

So in U2 metaphors, we are we now? Is "Everything Now" their "Pop"? The flawed but somewhat OK last stand before succumbing to your own classicism?

fredhammersmith likes this.
  14. erikdavid5000

Unfair to U2 to put Arcade Fire anywhere near them. U2 has an actual singer

15. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

This is one of the most disappointing albums I've ever heard. I can't believe that a band that meant this much to me would put out this garbage. "Everything Now" is awesome, but the rest, for the most part is embarrassing. I really can't understand how the band thought "this is good music!"

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. Ever heard most of McCartneys solo records ? Some great music a lot of terrible lyrics.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I have the same question, that seems to have gone unanswered... I'm also curious if its public whether the album was recorded on tape or digital, or a mixture.

18. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I'm the same way. I give an album a chance before reading the reviews, because I feel like I get unfairly biased before listening for myself.

So I have EN a chance. I own every single AF album to this point. But for some reason, I had this reservation before buying the new one.

Hurray for Amazon Music! Streamed it all. Twice. And just think it's a weaker, lighter, boring-er version of Reflektor.

Then I read the reviews and they were right on. Pitchfork totally guts the album, and I agree.

WHERE. IS. THE. MUSICIANSHIP?

19. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

What about Creature Comfort? That sounds like a good Arcade Fire cut to my ears.

hishou likes this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Win Butler is no Bono, for sure, but he can sing. He has a bit a rough quality that can be a bit hard to take, but I think he does a good job given his obvious limitations.

I like most of the album a lot, but your sentiment is dead-on in regards to Peter Pan. I can't believe no one in the band or working with them in the studio didn't have the sense to realize what crap that song is.

I would easily put Creature Comfort in my Arcade Fire top 10 now. Love that song.

21. Neonbeam

So Bono is regarded as good singer? Never thought of it like that:angel:

22. erikdavid5000

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has the instrument for sure.

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. erikdavid5000

Yeah, I should maybe rephrase it to that (in my opinion) he just isn't quite good enough or distinct enough of s singer for them to ever really be the sort of mega U2 level band they want to be or we just assume they want to be. Regine isn't the greatest singer either but she's far more distinctive and has better presence and her voice cuts in a way that Win's doesn't, so it's unfortunate for some of us that he's the main singer.

The_Windmill likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

The Pitchfork review totally is everything (now:unhunh:) it accuses this album of. It's really joyless. The NME got it much better. Maybe it's an American/ European thing? I'll stick by it, "Everything Now" is a very good album.

.... and regarding your quest for "MUSICIANSHIP"; why not get your old Dave Matthews cds out??

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  25. The_Windmill

I read an interesting comment on youtube.
    Totally conspiration theory, but a fun idea.
    Peter Pan and Chemistry are deliberately crappy songs to baffle the pretentious critics and see how far they can go to before they get busted.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.