Anyone regret getting rid of your 80s Beatles cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought mine in 1992 and had them for nearly 25 years.
    They were with me through every relocation and always reminded me when I saw them setting there on display, just how hard I worked to get them all and how very complete I felt having all The Beatles albums on compact disc.
    In those days to me mixes and mastering didn't mean much.
    Last Xmas I gave them all to my nephew as a Xmas present.
    I knew he would appreciate the gift, as he grew up seeing them displayed and hearing me play them.
    He never bought his own because he had mine burned.
    After me getting both the 09 mono and stereo boxes I didn't plan on parting with them due to sentimental reasons.
    But Xmas is about love and giving and he did genuinely appreciate them.
    That's the only way I could have ever unloaded them, giving them to a loved one who appreciated them and how long they were with me.
    So I don't regret getting rid of them.
    Technically they're still in the family.
    But I do miss them.
    It's weird.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No regrets that I kept all of them! :D

3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Gave away a few, no regrets, I prefer the 2009s.

EricSwan, zenarus, Exotiki and 6 others like this.
  4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

No, none at all.

GowG and CBackley like this.
  5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I never did. Still got 'em.

turnersmemo and dalem5467 like this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, it was a wonderful gift and I would bet that he appreciates them and will treasure the CDs and the music that much more because they came from you.

Now, you have to hunt them all down on eBay or used stores or whatever and buy them all over again... when Christmas comes
    around you may need another gift for someone... better buy two copies of each to be safe... :)

7. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

The 2009's sound so much better, couldn't wait to turn the 1992's into coasters. Especially A Hard Day's Night which I had to suffer with in mono for 17 long years. Good riddance.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Rebought PEPPER a couple of months ago.

Library Eye, Darienzo and audiomixer like this.
  9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Still have them, but was ALWAYS pissed about the first 4 being mono when they were on stereo on LP when I was a kid.
    And the 2009s DO sound much better.

10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Your nephew is a lucky kid to have a generous uncle like you!
    (You didn't mention, just how old is he...?)
    However, just keep a close watch on him!

You'd hate yourself and have a bigger regret, if he said,
    "Hey Unc,
    Thanks again so much for those Beatles CDs you gave me last year! I really enjoyed 'em....
    By the way, do you remember I mentioned meeting an amazing girl at school this year ...?
    Well, you'd like her a lot! She's really into The Beatles, too! So I lent her the CDs....

Ohhh, but the CDs, umm- they got lost..."

:help: :faint: :help: :faint: :help:

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I only listen on vinyl these days so I gave my 2009 box set to my daughter as a gift. Still have the earlier CD's in those oversized HMV boxes.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The gradual EQ brightening of the muddy title track doesn't bother you?

Exotiki and Dave like this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Lol he's 29 and I'm 47 so he was a kid and teen a lot of those years in the 90s and 2000s.

14. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I gave them to a younger relative who doesn't exactly respect physical media. They're in a pile in the basement somewhere. Wish I still had Pepper, White, Abbey.

15. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Gave mine to my bandmate who isn't much of a Beatles fan, but was interested in hearing them on his own terms. So kind of in the family, so to speak.

I have the mono 2014 vinyl box and the 2009 USB stick. Had the USB mp3s on in the car yesterday - Beatles For Sale specifically - and have no regrets in letting the '80s disc go to my friend. BFS in the 2009s was a revelation.

Carlox and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Didn't our host say he thought the '87 SPLHCB was the best sounding? Still have that and all the others from Rubber Soul on.

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Just like the old Genesis CDs from the 80s, my old Beatles discs have served me well through the years, so I never double dipped or had the compulsion to. They're still what I use when I listen to The Beatles

So no. You can't miss what's never been gone. :righton:

18. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

No, the ones I gave away ended up with people that like them.

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

No, despite the recent rise in popularity in these neighbourhoods they're still shrill and bad-sounding (especially the Rubber Soul, Revolver and Pepper's). It took a vinyl-comeback and the ''discovery'' of the mono-mix of Revolver and Pepper's to re-appreciate The Beatles and their fantastic music.

bherbert and SteveS1 like this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

I wish I would have kept the boxes from when I bought them.
    I cut them up and made a pretty cool scrapbook though

21. Price.pittsburgh

That's a good thing.
    I could have never just sold them off to a used store.

22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I still have them all, but don't really play them.

It will be interesting to see how the 1987 SPLHCB sounds, after I've got so used to the remix...which I love.

FJFP and Drifter like this.
  23. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I still have them. Bought them about 15 years ago I think. Also got the 2009 masters, the US albums box, the Capitol Albums stuff, the stereo vinyl box, but I'm not giving away/selling anything from my collection anymore. I still regret the few items I did sell in the past.

24. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

If all I had was the CD versions - the '87 CDs I had no trouble binning the first four albums. I have no problem listening to Help, RS, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, MMT, TB, Abbey Road and LIB. The Mono Box sorted the first issue for me and I find the 2009 Stereo Albums an improvement for me except for TB, Abbey Road and LIB. Having the 2014 Mono vinyl reissues and selected stereo vinyl makes it moot for me. They remain my favourite versions including the latest Sgt. Pepper which I think is great.

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

No, I don't regret that. I also never had the first four they were terrible sounding to me. I didn't have Sgt. Pepper on CD either, bought some other version later on but before 2009. I kept my copy of Abbey Road (it wasn't worth upgrading to me. Hmm, maybe I didn't have Let It Be on CD? Hard to remember...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.