Ant-Man And The Wasp (July 6, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. As much as I loved Paul Rudd in the title role, I really do hope we get to see more of Michael Douglas in this upcoming sequel - he stole the show for me last time around, and I honestly didn't expect that to happen! I'm not sure how much of what I enjoyed about the original Ant-Man was leftover from when Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish were still writers on the project, but that film remains up there for me with Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy as a highlight of Phase Two in Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

Zoot Marimba and bru87tr like this.
  3. 5th-beatle

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I thought his 3 buddies made the movie.

5. 5th-beatle

6. Cool. Hopefully I will be employed when that comes out so I can see it.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Marvel is consistently over-achieving. Hope this one lives up to the expectations. The first was a pleasant surprise. Michelle Pfeiffer would make a welcome addition.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

"Just back it up. Just back it up. Just back it up."

John K.

FVDnz and jpelg like this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I just blind-bought the first Ant-Man blu-ray the other day but haven't watched it yet. I'm way behind when it comes to the MCU, but I'm trying to rectify it. I'm not sure I can take a film with Paul Rudd as lead seriously but will give it a shot. I love Michael Douglas so that helps.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I blind bought the blu-ray as well. Ant Man was made for viewers with your exact attitude about Rudd and Douglas, where they basically play a loser who is being mentored by a winner. You'll be pleas-ant-ly surprised.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is this a new movie or the latest in bio- engineered pest control from Monsanto?

melstapler likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

You're thinking of Rootworm Man.

melstapler and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Evangeline Lilly will be able to make huge money for the next 4 or 5 decades at sci-fi conventions: after long stints on Lost and The Hobbit and now Ant Man, she's set for life.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And still very hawt! :whistle:

melstapler and Lonson like this.
  15. 5th-beatle

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Watched the first hour or so last night and was....somewhat underwhelmed. Had trouble keeping my eyes open at times. Maybe I was just too tired. I enjoyed the action sequences and special effects but I didn't care too much about Ant-Man himself. Even Michael Douglas, who I love, left me a bit cold. And the fight with The Falcon (other Avengers on their day off?) was so forced and pointless. I did enjoy the Garrett Morris cameo, though! I'll finish it tonight. Gonna have to be a hell of a third act!

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. Maybe it was too campy but I thought the Michael Douglas portrayal of Dr. Pym was a good counterbalance. I thought the fight with Falcon was not forced and fit in the flow of the story as a good 1st mission before the main event. I've become a sucker for stories about a single dad and daughter, and that was much of the appeal for me.

FVDnz and Daniel Plainview like this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

When I think of goons, I think of hockey goons. Namely, I think of the Hanson brothers from Slap Shot.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. 5th-beatle

According to the ad, "you should have a tough, bully, or thug look as you would terrorize someone".

21. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Listen, the original, the first, the best... Garrett Morris... "paging Jane Cutin!!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Oh man, that is an AWESOME homage! As for the movie, this not only is a pleas-ANT surprise but also happens to be one of my favourite MCU films so far.

Also confirmed - Laurence Fishburne joins Ant-Man and the Wasp as Bill Foster aka Goliath. I would imagine he too would have existed during Hank and Janet's heyday as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents. Wonder if Fishburne will continue to play Perry White in future Superman/DCEU films though.

melstapler and beccabear67 like this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I had some of the very early Ant Man comic books, with the Wasp and before her... I wonder what they'd be worth now? I remember they were around $12-18 each when I either sold or traded them off. One was about an evil beatnik jazz trumpeter. I think one of the ants got killed and Ant Man cried! I don't remember as much about the rest, I think I had five all together before he turned into Giant Man. There was this tiny bookshop that had piles of old '60s-early '70s comics at $1 or three for $2.50 in the late '70s and early '80s (until he discovered there was a price guide book I suppose). I asked the old guy who ran the place about them once and he said he had boxes more in his basement; it was his father's stock from a shop that was around in the '50s-'60s. Often they were in perfect condition, and it seemed weird to see something from 1964 looking totally brand new, but I'm thinking 1964 to me then was like 1997 would be to us now! I traded boxes of comics in for some science fiction magazines and paperbacks, and also some '40s comics, and later sold those to a bookshop for a few hundred to a thousand or so, so I guess I got more than my money back and all that junk to read for awhile.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thank heavens. I'vw always been concerned about the plight of the cute babe actress who can't act but the camera loves her.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.