Beatles: Is the 2009 Special-Edition USB Drive Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2141

2141 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always wondered how much better (if any) this version of the 2009 Stereo Remasters is. The USB drive contains all of the studio albums, including both FLAC format and a 320 kbps mp3s. The FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit files are supposedly better than CD quality. But can you really hear the difference? It this the top of the top for the remasters?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Heckto35 likes this.
  2. 2141

3. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

Once I got the Apple USB I never listened to the 2009 CD's again. Unfortunately, the mono mixes aren't included.

4. 2141

So it's very noticeably better sounding than the CDs? Or just more convenient, or...?

5. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I mean, technically, yes. The only difference is 24 bit instead of 16, but it is technically better than the remasters.

6. 2141

It's the sound I care about most. "Technically" doesn't mean that much to me; it's all about how good they sound. That's what I'm really curious about.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you don't have it, and everybody around here does, then yes it is essential. If on the other hand, you did score one, and you paid more than $22.50 for it, no, you got hosed.

[HoffmanBeatleAudioAuthorities]This is how we do it, baby...[/HoffmanBeatleAudioAuthorities]

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There's absolutely no audible difference from the 2009 stereo CDs, unless your CD player is likely to do funky things to their dynamics/tonality that your digital frontend is not. Same tape transfers, same sample rate conversion, same digital NR, same EQ application, same limiting, only difference is inaudible dither and a slight level shift (barely perceptible, which vanishes when you turn the USB files down by 0.2dB or whatever it is).

9. 2141

But the bit rate is 24, as opposed to 16. Does that higher sampling rate not matter in what you hear?

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The sample rate is 44.1kHz on both formats. The bit DEPTH is higher, sure, but that doesn't make any practical difference because they both use the same dynamic range, give or take 0.2 dBFS which is a really small, as I say barely perceptible, level shift. Seriously, other than that, the only real difference is dither noise on the CDs, and that is way, way below the threshold that you'll ever hear.

Heckto35 and Michael P like this.
  11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I couldn't personally hear any audible difference between the flac files and the CDs. It's cute packaging though.
    :shrug:

12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yes because its hi-res. And its cool and rare.

Lewisboogie, gregorya and Laser Red like this.
  13. 2141

Thanks for the correction. I don't know too much about the technicalities (as you can probably tell) but the real question is, how does this format sound? So far it seems like it may not really be an improvement. Is that a fair statement?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

All things being equal, it should sound just the same as the stereo 2009 CDs, even though there is a technical improvement in terms of data delivery. They use the exact same mastering, ie. the things I mentioned including EQ/limiting and so forth, which really determine how it sounds over and above numbers and resolution figures

If you prefer digital front end playback over a traditional CD player, my recommendation is to get the USB stick. Takes up less space and includes all the same content as the stereo box set, and you don't need to spend hours ripping all those discs to a digital library. If CD is your preferred format then don't bother

marklamb likes this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That is one of my 2 pet peeves about the USB. They were too lazy by including Past Masters instead of actually inserting the Singles & EPs. (Long Tall Sally & MMT) in chronicle order within the LPs.

Not worth it in my eyes/ears!!!!!

16. GLYNSTYLER

The Apple USB is my most prized audio possession. On my OPPO BDP-95, the 24-bit files sound markedly better than the CD's. I have a couple of friends who bought the USB after hearing a comparison at my house. Maybe we're all crazy.

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Did you like the 2009 mastering job? I think that's the first question you should ask yourself. I didn't, so it doesn't matter how hi-rez the audio files are. I still won't like the EQ and limiting.

mpayan, ricks and rxcory like this.
  18. 2141

I like the stereo remasters pretty well. I like the mono remasters even more! Unfortunately, the mono is not included in the USB stick. But, if this USB stereo sounds noticeably better, than I'm interested. :agree:

Lownote30 likes this.
  19. 2141

Hmmm.... That's very interesting! So when you do an A/B comparison, can you say what stands out as most improved?

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nobody would call you crazy. There can be a certain perfectly natural amount of confirmation bias in such tests, which I assume you didn't set up as a blind ABX between ripped FLAC from the CDs and the 24bit versions

21. GLYNSTYLER

I assume you didn't set up a blind ABX between ripped FLAC from the CDs and the 24bit versions

Your assumption is correct. I played selections from the 2009 CD's, then followed with the same tracks from the USB. And it was eight years ago. Mostly what I remember is the tears welling up in my eyes after hearing the USB, which didn't happen when I listened to the 2009 CD's. I was skeptical when I realized the USB files were 44.1/24, but felt that there was enough difference (clarity, separation) to justify the re-purchase of the stereo remasters.

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Maybe some samples for comparison will help. Here's samples of "Baby You're A Rich Man", one is from the 2009 stereo CD, the other from the USB (but not necessarily in that order):

Dropbox - byarm-a.flac
    Dropbox - byarm-b.flac

ispace and Billy Infinity like this.
  23. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Here is the spectrum of the quantization error (a null-test delta) between a 24/44 USB & a 16/44 RBCD 2009 versions of Honey Don't track (at equal perceived loudness, lined up time-wise):

[​IMG]

Stephen J and PhantomStranger like this.
  24. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I would say it comes down to price paid.

If you are going to pay over $200, stick with the CDs. If you are going to pay over $300, take a couple of days off and reflect on your potential choice. If you are going to pay over $400, you should probably seek professional help.

However, if you are going to spend the equivalent of an 8 or 16 GB flash drive, get the USB.

My $0.02.

SoundDoctor and kwadguy like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Laughing out loud at that y-axis... the loudest signal in the audible range is -130 dB?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.