Current YES tour (Steve Howe & Company)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rufus t firefly, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I felt the same way when I saw Yes with Toto. Yes just sounded so weak and uninspired. They did do a nice tribute to Squire before the show but I pretty much said that I'm done with that version of Yes from now on unless it's free. ARW I'm more interested in seeing now.

warewolf95 and Scottb like this.
  2. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I made a mistake reading this thread even though I knew what to expect because I love the band so much. It was a BIG mistake. I feel really sorry for some of you people. You don't even realize how ridiculous your endless bitching, groundless accusations against legendary musicians, your absurd conspiracy theories and your kitchen-sink psychology are.
    Guys, don't you have ANY respect for some of your favourite musicians? They are around 70 now. In a few years they will all be dead. There won't be any more concerts featuring the masterful Steve Howe and the wonderful voice of Jon Anderson will be silent forever. I have seen Yes many times live (including ABWH and ARW) and I have enjoyed almost every minute of the shows. No, the current lineups (both of them) don't come close to the magic of the original Yes anymore. That's life. Get over it. Stay at home and better yet, stay away from Yes threads to repeat the crap that has been written a thousand times before.
    I should stop reading all the Yes threads here altogether and just enjoy the music and the concerts of both Yes and ARW.
    I should but I know I won't. Because I still hope to sometimes read something from a fellow Yes fan here who loves the music AND the band like I do. I know a few here feel like I do but it's VERY few.

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I really don't get it and it's so simple. Steve Howe's version of YES doesn't have one original member and ARW has Anderson who is an original founding member. That means that if anything Howe's band is a tribute band. It's so simple but you can't seem to grasp the concept. It's obvious your devotion to Howe which is fine but you can't say ARW is a YES tribute band when it has one of the founding members and Howe's band has none. Logic would be that Howe's version is the cover band.

vinylphile, Shak Cohen and AndyNicks like this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

I'm not begrudging Steve Howe for continuing to tour at all. Music is his life and he'll do it until he dies, as it should be. I'm just bowing out of seeing his version anymore as my choice. I'm glad there are still fans who will go and hopefully enjoy it. I've been seeing Yes pretty consistently since the classic lineup in 2002 and have seen multiple versions of the band. I'm just more interested in following Jon Anderson's version from now on. I do hope Howe and Anderson can put their differences aside and pull it together one more time. I'm doubtful it'll happen though unfortunately.

5. ModernDayWarrior

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think you're splitting hairs a little here. Yeah Howe isn't an original member but he was there through the classic years. Also White is still involved (although barely) . There's still a sort of legitimacy in Howe's version. Not much but there's still a little.
    At this point they should make a hybrid of Yes and Asia and get Palmer on board as their drummer. Just make it the best of both worlds.

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I love Palmer but I can't see him playing YES' stuff. As great a drummer he is he has trouble keeping time and with ELP that worked fine. I would love to see ARW and Howe's YES get together. That would be awesome.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

And get Geddy Lee on bass. Haha that would rule (I'm being a fanboy here LoL)

8. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

I saw the Squire / Howe version twice within the last 5 or 6 years and while it was good, I will not go again since after Chris Squier passed.
    I did see ARW last fall in Akron and was a great show, so much as I will see them again in their return this Sept......they still have it.

Scottb likes this.
  9. varispeed

varispeed what if?

At the moment, yeah, Steve travels around in basically a cover band. He's allowed to do that under the tour corporation that he owns in tandem with Chris' estate and Alan. He also solely owns the right to use Roger Dean art.... which is of questionable importance in some minds, but hey, Steve does have the contract for that on his own. He's allowed to use the "Yes" name because he currently can with blessing of Chris' estate AND JON. Jon and Chris' estate own the Yes trademark.

You get into a day to day thing with humans on a non-star level and you have this..... Jon is certainly not wanting to stop Steve from earning his living by gigging under the Yes name. They DO still get along and have a history. Plus, Jon receives a fee from Steve touring under the Yes name..... like the way Mike pays fees into his own partly owned fund to use the Beach Boys name when touring. Jon makes a little money, Steve makes a little money, Chris' estate makes a little money, Alan makes a little money.

If Jon decides to use the "Yes" name out there (which I think he's starting to do now, right?), then yeah, it sorta screws the Steve-cover band yes gigs (which Jon also gets a cut of), but then.... Jon does have the right to do it if he wants. I'm sure he somewhat weighs how much that may impact Steve.... cuz like I say... Jon certainly wants Steve to make a living from his Yes history. Plus, I guestimate that Jon regularly considers how much/little he wants to/can tour with or without Rick. Steve, on the other hand, appears hellbent on touring until his last moment on earth.

No matter what, Jon, Chris' estate, Alan, and Steve share a huge chunk of common income per year between the trademark, touring llc, recording royalties (well Jon gets more of the increasingly smaller pie as fans die) and other inter-related stuff. Everyone in the increasingly small inner circle has a good gig in some way via Yes

If some traction takes place in "their" market (and I'm not sure this will happen a3rd, 4th, 5th time for Yes), it's easy to see Steve folding over into the Jon, Rick thing after Rabin gets tired of the road and has some movie gigs to do.

Other than everyone being happy and making a little money, I dunno what's important about fans trying to distinguish if one group is more real than another.

Now, the Shirelles..... that gets difficult.

ps... did you really buy my story about the harmonica?

10. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

No I figured out the harmonica thing!! Someone should tell Steve to shave that thing off as it's frightening. I get what you are saying though I still think that Steve has a lot of resentment against Jon. In recent interviews Jon will go on and on about how great it was working with Steve but I don't think Steve feels the same way. You can see at the Rock&Roll HOF Steve really distanced himself from the ARW guys. I guess at some point Trevor will want to get back into soundtracks as he has made a ton of money from them. Even Jon has said that Trevor has a great gig writing film scores. However these guys are not getting any younger and it would be nice to see Jon and Steve on the same stage. I do hope if that happens that Wakeman is in as well as I like Downes a lot for his keyboard work in ASIA but he has a problem with playing a lot of Ricks stuff and he's gone on record saying so. Rick also brings much needed laughter when he's in the band and I think Steve Howe could use some humor to lighten things up for sure. I think ARW is already booked up for 2018 and Steve has talked about special things for their 50th anniversary. I really would love to see Anderson back for their 50th as I really don't like Davison's voice at all. He's probably a great guy but he has a mediocre voice at best. Fingers crossed that Jon and Steve will work things out while they both can still tour.

gja586, Blimpboy and Shak Cohen like this.
  11. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

It's really sad. Especially since Anderson still sounds great at 72 years old and yet Howe can't bring himself to really look at the whole YES situation and see how bad they have become. Like you said no one on that stage was involved with creating anything on the set list except Howe and Downes for one song from Drama.

12. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Anderson Rabin Wakeman was great
    Lots of energy and vital

Shak Cohen, abescan and Scottb like this.
  13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I've enjoyed every YES studio album ever released, including some of the spinoff and solo projects... but, dear god, their drama over the years has been ridiculous. All the factions should have an intertwined reality show on Bravo. Just think of all the new female fans it could attract!

Scottb likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm not even sure I'd go if it was free. It honestly just made me sad. The tribute to Squire at the start was lovely, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who teared up a little, but it unintentionally had the side effect of emphasizing even more how much was lacking, both in sound and soul, from the set that followed.

Lownote30, darvit, MoonPool and 2 others like this.
  15. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

From our point of view, it is so obvious that they should do this for the 50th anniversary and then maybe retire the Yes name for good. However, the people involved are all real people with real feelings, relationship issues etc, which we are not fully privy to, so it probably won't. :shake:

PS The marketing men would presumably love it too, though I imagine they want the Yes name to continue in some form (or forms) for as long as possible.

Scottb likes this.
  16. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

This is not totally true, because Anderson already had serious respiratory issues during the 2004 tour (he said in an interview some years ago that sometimes he had to wear oxygen mask just before going on stage). He was totally exhausted at the end of 2004 and wanted to have a break from touring, to be able to recover his health. In a Yes documentary from that era (I think it was the YesSpeak DVD), Wakeman explains that if the band continues to tour, Anderson and himself could die on stage (Wakeman suffered several heart attacks in his life). So it is a fact that Anderson was already in bad condition at the end of 2004.

So Wakeman left after the 2004 tour.
    And Squire/Howe/White patiently waited for Anderson to recover in order to be able to continue doing what is basically their job as musicians: play music.
    Anderson made them wait 4 long years before agreeing to tour again (in the meantime Squire spent some time reforming The Syn for a great album and short tour).
    And in May 2008, Anderson had his famous asthma attack that almost killed him.
    I cannot blame the others to have decided to tour with a new singer. Let's face it, it had been 4 years they were "inactive", waiting for Jon to recover.

Now, as I said earlier, each Yes band has his pros and cons. Setlists from the Howe/White Yes shows is amazing, and the performance usually correct. ARW is a fresh version but too oriented towards the obvious hits.

gja586, zen and ledsox like this.
  17. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

they should change the band name from YES, to MAYBE

boggs and patel kismet like this.
  18. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Or follow the example of Don Was: YES NOT YES.

patel kismet likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There aren't really any marketing men in the mix right now. ARW have Brian Lane, Howes Yes basically have themselves. Both hire independent publicists for their tours. Live Nation doesn't appear too interested in either band, as they weren't before Jon A left.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yep it's sad. I would love to see a reunion with Jon and Rick back with Steve for one final tour. That might get more interest in promoters.

21. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I suggest YES BUT...

GoodKitty and Billy Infinity like this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's pretty much promoter, singular. And LN tends to handle classic-rock bands the same whether they have original members or not; Foreigner still headlines their sheds every summer. Yes (with Benoit David) played the same places with Procol Harum a few years back, but they'd probably only do Yes if some compatible band with a draw (ie Moody Blues, Jethro Tull) was available for a summer package.

Scottb likes this.
  23. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Wow, Brian is back? I missed that piece of news. Last I remember seeing him was in those not-meant-to-be-hilarious Yes "Going For the One" doc videos where the band was discussing stage clothing for the upcoming 1977 tour. Or maybe that was Roger in those Spinal Tap type scenes.

That's cool in a cool nostalgic way that Brian is back in the picture. I never considered him as pushy as a Peter Grant, but man, he was effective in the peak run.

With this new piece of education I've received, my totally irrelevant crystal ball shows ......

a new July 25 2019 Yes album arriving to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the release of the first Yes album in July 1969. All long form and tracked by Eddie Offord on a bunch of stuff he's piecemealing together as I type. Tracking will occur between January 2018-January 2019. Brian is figuring out tour venues and emailing Steve to ask if he can play faster next year.

The album will incorporate Jon, Steve, Rick, Bill, and I dunno, I guess I'll play bass. Or that other guy. Or Kenny Rogers if he's been practicing enough. No one else will be allowed on the album.

Alan won't be on the album Tony Kaye won't be on the album. Trevor (none of them) will be on the album. If your name is Tom and you ever appeared with Yes, you won't be on the album. If you have ever been in a Yes or Journey tribute band as a singer, you won't be on the album. Don't argue with me, it's already been decided.

Bill will be on the album because he already has a clever and funny speech composed as to why he will be back. Plus, Jon, Steve, and Rick r-e-a-l-l-y want to do an album with Bill even though he's basically the Neil Young of the band.

boboquisp, Bolero and MoonPool like this.
  24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Brian Lane was also involved with ABWH as well and currently manages Wakeman also.

25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Call it Yaysia! (Get it? I'll show myself out...)

:D

Shak Cohen, boggs and rufus t firefly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.