The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Picked up a two titles from the Jazz bargains section in a local store.

[​IMG]

Crosswinds - Billy Cobham (Atlantic) CD
    with
    Billy Cobham (drums, orchestration), Michael Brecker (woodwinds), Randy Bracker (trumpet), Garnett Brown (trombome), John Abercrombie (guitars), George Duke (keyboards), Lee Pastora (latin percussion), John Williams (acoustic & electric bass)

Recorded 1974

[​IMG]

[​IMG]-

Sonny Meets Hawk - Sonny Rollins & Coleman Hawkins (RCA Victor/Legacy) CD

Recorded 1963

2016 CD re-issue - Sony Jazz Connoisseur series.

Voltaire, smilin ed, Lonson and 5 others like this.
  2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk Quartet with Johnny Griffin – In Action: Recorded Live at the Five Spot Café, NYC [CD 8b from the Complete Riverside Recordings session 19a] (Riverside Records)
    — Thelonious Monk — piano; Johnny Griffin — tenor saxophone; Ahmed Abdul-Malik — bass; Roy Haynes — drums

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Forgot how much I like "Return to Forever". Just picked up and playing now:

[​IMG]

4. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Fred Hersch Open Book

Six String likes this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Thanks to you both.

Would either of you say the same for the Blue Note and Prestige titles on hybrid SACD? (These are Kevin Gray mastered too, no?)

For example, I really like the Yoshida Blue Note masterings on XRCD for Audio Wave, but that line appears dead in the water and the run of titles was pretty small. If all of the redbook layers on those AP SACDs improve over prior CD issues, then I'll be seeking those out too.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Analogue Productions Blue Notes were mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, the Prestiges by Kevin Gray. The Prestiges I have are excellent, and lots of people like the Blue Notes.

7. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Sarah Vaughan / Clifford Brown
    on disc 7 Of Brownie : The Complete EmArcy Recordings of Clifford Brown
    Sarah Vaughan, vocals; Clifford Brown, trumpet; Herbie Mann, flute;
    Paul Quinichette, tenor sax; Jimmy Jones, piano; Joe Benjamin, bass;
    Roy Haines, drums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Erik B., vanhooserd, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jazz At The Philharmonic 1949 - Charlie Parker (Verve) CD

Another selection (without the above sleeve) from the budget 10CD Bird / The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve.

Talk about a killer historic concert! Sound quality is good too.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Noël AkchotéJ'en Doute Encore (Stupeur & Trompette!)
    — With Noël Akchoté: Guitar, Vocals, Objects; Pakito Bolino: Guitar, Vocals; Gilles Campaux: Drums, Vocals; Yves Miara: Guitar, Vocals;Jo Thirion: Vocals, Farfisa Organ; Maki: Guitar, Vocals; Didier Roth: Guitar, Percussion, Vocals

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Joe Harriott Quintet: Jazz For Moderns

Joe Harriott: Alto Saxophone
    Shake Keane: Flugelhorn, Trumpet
    Pat Smythe: Piano
    Coleridge Goode: Double Bass
    Bobby Orr: Drums

Recorded at St. Hilda's Studios, Maida Vale, London, 1962. Original session produced by Terry Henebery for the BBC and never before released until this Gearbox 45RPM limited edition of 500. A great sounding date and pressing containing two Harriott originals and two killer Dizzy Reece covers: Shepherd's Serenade and Variations On Monk.

Paired with a Bourbon barrel-aged Double IPA @ a robust 12.4%.

[​IMG]

11. AxiomAcoustics

Nice coincidence, while I was digging the Free Slave I was checking out his discog and found out about this (relatively) new duets release. Played some samples and it sounds excellent. I like the spoken intoros on some of the tracks as well. Unfortunately new copies are quite pricey. Need to do some digging.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My copy is a cd from CDJapan. It kept coming up in my Weston searches there and I decided to take a chance even though with the great artists involved it wasn't that risky. ;) The beginnng of side one features Weston with a spoken intro and side two has Don Pullen doing the same where he talks about his time with Brooks in the Mingus band. The music is really excellent imo. The recordings were made over several years in the 1980s fyi.

WP Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away (Blue Note) 47 W63rd dg mono

NP Charlie Parker - The Genius Of Charlie Parker (Savoy) silver on red dg mono

rxcory, Jackie P, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  13. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for the CDJ mention, new copies via Amz are $60. Is it the same Enja release or is it a Japanese reissue? Too bad there's no Geri Allen spoken intro. :sigh:

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

[​IMG]

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's a Japanese Enja.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm not really a CT fan but I do sort of enjoy the BN albums. How's that for a qualified endorsement?

btf1980 likes this.
  17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Fat Cat Big BandMeditations On the War For Whose Great God is the Most High (Smalls Records)
    — Jade Synstelien: guitar, compositions, vocals; Phil Stewart: drums; Ben Meigners: bass; Jack Glottman: piano; Sharel Cassity: alto saxophone; Stacy Dillard: tenor saxophone; Geoff Vidal: tenor saxophone; Tatum Greenblatt: trumpet; Brandon Lee: trumpet; Jonathan Voltzok: trombone; Max Seigel: bass trombone

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to James P. Johnson - Harlem Stride Piano 1921-1929 - Hot'n Sweet (France)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AxiomAcoustics

Grant Green: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Grant Green - guitar
    Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone
    Larry Young - organ
    Elvin Jones - drums

Recorded at Rudy's March 31, 1965. Everything about this album, from the title to the track listing to the cover smacks of Grant Green-lite but don't be fooled, just look at that lineup, which is more telling than anything else. Excellent exploratory readings and hot playing abound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  20. AxiomAcoustics

No love for that early Transition/Contemporary/Candid material eh? Some of his most grounded and 'traditional' work.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've listened several times to this CD and, while I acknowledge JPJ's importance, every time it fails to hold my attention; there's also some (to my ears) mediocre stuff on the CD. I'm still not sure whether or not to get the JPJ Mosaic.

22. AxiomAcoustics

Mark Dresser: Unveil

Mark Dresser: Solo Double Bass

A little 'low end theory' .........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Marzz and scompton like this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wadada Leo Smith's Mbira – Dark Lady of the Sonnets (TUM Records)
    — Wadada Leo Smith (trumpet, flugelhorn), Min Xiao-Fen (pipa, voice), Pheeroan akLaff (drums)

[​IMG]

24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Interesting. I've never really listened to that album, figuring that it would be too much "Grant Green Lite" as you put it. I actually never even noticed the lineup. I'll check that out.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I must admit I have only heard the record with Coltrane of the earlier stuff.