The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Gave this a spin earlier tonight

[​IMG]

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Wooden Joe Nicholas

[​IMG]

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Good album. I love the arrangement of the title tune, but there are places where Elvin seems to stumble a bit. I've always heard a certain clumsiness at times in his playing & been charmed by it, but on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" I wonder if more takes were in order. (Not something I often think about a BN recording.)

4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Lee Morgan: Tom Cat

Lee Morgan – trumpet
    Curtis Fuller – trombone
    Jackie McLean – alto saxophone
    McCoy Tyner – piano
    Bob Cranshaw – bass
    Art Blakey – drums

Recorded at Rudy's on this day, August 11, 1964 but not released until 1981 with different cover art from this Audio Wave version. This was shelved due to the popularity of Morgan's "The Sidewinder" as Alfred and Blue Note searched for another hit. (Speaking of "Search", that was delayed as well, just not as long.) We always decry the "majors" for hit seeking but no one was immune. A ripping session with great sonics on this version. Surprisingly still available, don't miss it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. AxiomAcoustics

When I first saw your quotage I thought it was going to be about the Doom :laugh:

I did the same thing for years with this one and one day I heard a track on a local terrestrial radio station and really dug it so went in search immediately. Granted (spontaneous pun) it's not "advanced" but it's an enjoyable and engaging listen.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Agreed. My personal favorite Morgan set as well as one of the best of the Yoshida XRCD series. :thumbsup:

Erik B. and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed. Elvin frequently had tempo flubs and missed changes, far more frequently than most drummers of the era, almost as though he was not paying attention. There are times when you can actually hear him trying to force the band into his 'thing' when it doesn't quite gel then comes back around to the ensemble groove. He's one of the titans of the kit, no question, and one of my favorites and I speculate that had these 'charms' not been present he would not be the Elvin we love.

vanhooserd likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Hey, you and @vanhooserd look too much alike anymore, can't keep you straight. :winkgrin:

vanhooserd and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

Definitely check out "Jazz Advance" and "Looking Ahead" if you get a chance. Classics.

Marzz and J.A.W. like this.
  10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Rahsaan Roland Kirk & The Vibration Society – Rahsaan Rahsaan (Atlantic Records – Warner Japan/EU)
    — With Howard Johnson, Dick Griffin, Leroy Jenkins, Ron Burton, Sonelius Smith, Vernon Martin, James Madison, Alvern Bunn, Joe Texidor

[​IMG]

rxcory, Sneaky Pete, Soulpope and 4 others like this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

Elvin Jones & Richard Davis: Heavy Sounds

Elvin Jones - drums, guitar
    Richard Davis - bass
    Frank Foster - tenor saxophone
    Billy Greene - piano

Recorded at RCA Studios NYC on June 19 & 20, 1967. I was in the mood for some "Raunchy Rita", the 12' opening strut.

[​IMG]

And how can we forget "Elvin's Guitar Blues"?

12. AxiomAcoustics

Wanted to mention I've been listening to the new Vijay Iyer Sextet recording and it sounds really nice with some varied moods from groove to energetic in'out excursions. A little like a Tim Berne ECM if that connects. Plus, it features two musicians that I had lost touch with over the recent years in Mark Shim and Graham Haybes. Coming August 25th. Also featuring Tyshawn Sorey, Steve Lehman and Stefan Crump.

[​IMG]

13. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

BraamDeJoodeVatcher - "Quartet" (rec. 2009)

[​IMG]

Michiel Braam's trio (with a guest, hence the title) in one of the strongest "academic" jazz(?) outings in recent memory. This 2-disc collection of live recordings from various dates across 2009 brings back the sweet memory of HatHut's 80s/90s heyday, when jazz commoners got offered a master key for deciphering pictographic notations of some seriously serious music.

This time, with a few new layers of post-modernity firmly plastered over the jazz façade, the pianist resorts to his own "Q-book" scripts to navigate the listener (and the guest players) through rich sediments of music history. A hugely entertaining journey, with all visited music styles sounding as lively as they must have sounded back then, even though many supposedly faraway items get mixed in the presentation.

Marzz, alankin1 and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

Interesting roster of guests. Is this similar (albeit smaller groupings) to Bik Bent, with whom I'm most familiar as far as Braam's work is concerned?

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tom Abbs & Frequency Response – Conscription (CIMP)
    — Tom Abbs - bass, tuba; Brian Settles - tenor saxophone, flute; Okkyung Lee - cello; Chad Taylor - drums, vibes

[​IMG]

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

:cool: The fish-eye button on my little camera makes that classical LP look like a 45.

17. AxiomAcoustics

Fusion Friday!

Airto: Fingers

Airto - drums, percussion, vocals
    Hugo Fattoruso - keyboards, harmonica, vocals, composer
    David Amaro - guitar, electric guitar
    Ringo Thielmann - bass, vocals
    Jorge Osvaldo Fattoruso - drums, vocals
    Flora Purim - percussion, vocals

Recorded at Rudy's April 9, 17 and 18, 1973. Excellent Latin-Fusion, early Return To Forever meets Santana . Not sure about that cover though.

[​IMG]

jiffypopinski, rxcory and Marzz like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

So that's what that is? Yep, definitely thought it was a 45 or something similar. When scrolling through the threads it's easier for me to identify folks by their avatar/symbol rather than their name and you two get me all mixed up at times; now who am I replying to? I appreciate your larger font though :thumbsup: Is that something you can "set and forget" or must you increase it after typing manually?

19. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

You know me well!

20. AxiomAcoustics

Great minds drink alike!

johnnypaddock likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have to reset it. I do it for my own benefit, it makes me feel more secure about not mistyping. Glad someone else likes it.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I am not overly familiar with Bik Bent's oeuvre, but I think his trio is more improvisational, looser and... eclectic.

23. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

BARNEY WILEN / THE COMPLETE AT THE CLUB SAINT-GERMAIN 1959 RECORDINGS / RCA / 1997 / BMG FRANCE 2CD BOX SET

PERSONNEL: BARNEY WILEN (
    TENOR SAX, SOPRANO SAX); KENNY DORHAM (TRUMPET); DUKE JORDAN (PIANO); PAUL ROVÈRE (BASS); DANIEL HUMAIR (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: PRODUCED BY MARCEL ROMANO. RECORDED LIVE AT THE CLUB SAINT-GERMAIN, PARIS, ON APRIL 24 AND 25, 1959 BY PIERRE FATOSME ASSISTED BY JEAN-CLAUDE BÉNARD. PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEAN-PIERRE LELOIR. LINER NOTES BY PHILIPPE CARLES. MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES JEAN-PIERRE CHALBOS AT LA SOURCE MASTERING.

[​IMG]

Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  24. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

SAHIB SHIHAB / JAZZ PARTY / DEBUT / 1964 / JAPANESE MUZAK MINI LP CD REISSUE OF DEBUT 141

PERSONNEL: SAHIB SHIHAB (
    ALTO SAX, BARITONE SAX, FLUTE); ALLAN BOTSCHINSKY (FLÜGELHORN); OLE MOLIN (GUITAR); NIELS-HENNING ØRSTED PEDERSEN (BASS); ALEX RIEL (DRUMS); BJARNE ROSTVOLD (SNARE DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: PRODUCED BY ANDERS STEFANSEN. RECORDED BY BIRGER SVAN AT JAZZHUS MONTMARTE, COPENHAGEN, ON OCTOBER 3, 1963. PHOTOGRAPHY BY JAN PERSSON. LINER NOTES BY ERIK WIEDEMANN.

[​IMG]

This is my first and only album by (and as far as I can oversee my first record with) Sahib Shihab. I understand he left the United States pretty early, making him one of the very first american Jazz musicians living in exile. Can't tell exactly what drew me to this album, I guess it's a mix of both reviews I read and the nice cover. The music is neither Avantgarde nor hard to get into, but it's certainly not your average hard-bop (live) album. Shihab plays the flute throughout the first lengthy tunes and switches to both alto and baritone for Conversations, Part 1-3. I like this pianoless combo, Sahib greatly interacts with guitarist Molin and the rhythm section is certainly no slouch either. This CD edition comes with 3 bonis tracks I haven't heard yet (I guess they must have used the same session reels Black Lion used for their late 80's CD release named 'Conversations'). As always with Japanese CDs, I am somewhat cautios toward the sound, having had a number of japanese Mini LPs throwing superlatives and hyperbole at you, claiming to have found and used a revolutionary bit-morphing-transformation-cloning method, so reading "HQ-CD" on the obi made me prepare for the worst. I took the plunge anyway since Amazon.de dropped the price (new and sealed) to €10, so I figured what the hell. And I am more than pleasantly surprised - nice, dynamic and transparent sonic presentation with no added, artifical brightness (at least non that'd be noticeable).

25. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

You had me at n-høp ;)

NP
    Ike Quebec's "Blue and Sentimental" via the bargain blue note vinyl reissue. Sounds quite good to these ears...

AxiomAcoustics likes this.