Vice: Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert C, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

I find their descriptions are often inaccurate although I have had good purchases from them.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've bought a lot from Music Magpie, estocks and their That's Entertainment shops and have had very few problems. On the rare occasion I have I've been able to get refunds and keep the disc too. I've had some difficult to find discs from them as well as absolute bargains. I got all the Bowie 'Sound and Vision' discs for pennies.

Dave S and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't usually pay any attention to their descriptions.:D The barcode they always offer typed into Discogs mostly tells me all I need to know.

Robert C likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Prefer vinyl, but cds (if mastered well, or at least not brick walled,) are o.k.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'll never stop buying CD's or any other shiny disc variant, in the past ten years I must have bought a couple of thousand of 'em, if I had the cash I'd have bought more..

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Body Wishes is meant to be hard to find, but I think the biggest issue is that it wasn't released worldwide. Atlantic Crossing is much harder to find imo.

I stand corrected in my earlier statement regarding barcodes. Barcodes are quite common, but often they are the earlier versions where you have to add the extra digit.

7. Everyone should dump their CD collections to the local charity shop - and tip me off so that I can pick them up for peanuts.

Spazaru, dalem5467, Yost and 8 others like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I bought Rod's Camouflage Target the other week. Not from MusicMagpie. This had a barcode too. However, you are right. Many of the early versions don't.

9. More and more I am noticing record stores having to dump overpriced new vinyl of new/current artists at dramatically discounted prices. There is not much margin or incentive for stores to carry much new vinyl as it is, so then having to dump it at a loss will ensure less and less willingness to carry more. Stores exist because of the margin on used, new may be simply something Amazon will be able to sell.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Haven't bought a CD in years though did notice some bargains in the charity shops (50p a CD!). But not for me really, much prefer vinyl. Think the last CD I bought was Let it Be (2009) remaster the year it came out.

As a side note there is a charity shop near me, DVDs are 20p!! (Didn't buy those either).

11. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the choice for me is often the vinyl edition for $32 or the CD for $11.99. As much as I want to get everything on vinyl, I'm not always in the position to do so.

OldSoul, patel kismet and eddiel like this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I buy them when I do for two reasons:

(1) As a way to "vote" for my favorite artists to keep making new music. Note that I said new. Meaning that I refrain from voting when it comes to rereleasing, repackaging, etc. old stuff.

(2) When I can't find the music any other way. In this case, I rip the CD, upload it for streaming, and then put it aside without listening to the actual CD.

Robert C likes this.
  13. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I'm pretty picky with my vinyl, lots on 70's funk and jazz I need. Oddly I'd rather stream or wait for a cheaper vinyl reissue than buy the CD...I'm odd like that.

14. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

You can't afford to buy everything you want on record so yeh I'm still gonna be buying CDs.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Pampered Menial

Pampered Menial Forum Resident

I like CD's. I like the security of them. I rip all of my CD's and store them, but I like to know they're around, should I need them, whether it's to use when my archive is unavailable, or to repopulate it if it gets lost. I do back my CD rips up, but that's still not enough of a guarantee for me to feel comfortable with relying solely on volatile memory.

16. Aren't CD's still the No. 1 format? When physical formats go, so will my enthusiasm to pay for any music or films. If it isn't free, I won't have it. Plain as.
    With 4K BD now, physical formats must surely keep going for another 10 years plus?

Hotdog and klockwerk like this.
  17. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

You wouldn't think so after reading some of these posts but yes, it is the no 1 format and by a significant margin. The CD is in it's sunset though, as with all physical media.

JimmyCool likes this.
  18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Well I sold one the other day so yes.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  19. Yes, I agree about "all physical media", including the much chirped about vinyl!

Robert C likes this.
  20. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I'll never understand what difference it makes to the next person on how you listen to music. I listen to CDs, vinyl, and stream through the Sirius XM app. If I want to continue to buy physical media, then I will do so but sometimes it seems there is something wrong with the person who does not fully embrace streaming and downloads. Meaning, I'm the old fogie because I still like physical media?

21. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I bought Beatles For Sale on CD last week. Other than that I have been shifting toward CD quality or hi def downloads.

22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I love CDs. My favorite format ever. I'll buy them as long as they're making them.

23. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

:righton: I can't understand the whole CD-hatred trip some people engage on...

24. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Heck ya. I comb through eBay and other websites along with used CD stores obsessively. I will never stop buying them. Loving that everyone is dumping their used Cd's for pennies.

Grand_Ennui, dalem5467 and JimmyCool like this.
  25. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member

I mean grading - 'very good' when it's worse, or replacing black jewel case trays with clear ones (that annoys me, I know it's a bit anal!). They don't quibble if I ask for a return though and often just say I can keep it. It can be frustrating trying to find some titles in 'EX' condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.