Great Prog bands who weren't one of "the Big Five"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

Can is its own thing, sui generis. While I can almost understand the impulse, I can't put them in the same category as bands like ELP and Genesis. And I agree with your broader point there as well. I love the German bands a lot but while obviously experimental, they were operating in more of a minimalist vein with a very a different feel from what we think of as symphonic prog, less manicured, more visceral (barring some exceptions like Eloy and Novalis). I think maybe ADII comes a little bit closer to prog territory (circa Tanz der Lemminge) at times but more like Canterbury psych. Of course, these categorization labels are imprecise at best, so I don't get too hung up on it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Svetonio and jay.dee like this.
  2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The fab letter "N"

Necronomicon
    Nektar
    Neu!
    Night Sun
    Nosferatu
    November

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Happy The Man

tdgrnwld, seed_drill and Dok like this.
  4. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I've never really thought of Barclay James Harvest as a prog band.

Svetonio likes this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Don't see why Pink Floyd wouldn't be in that list of top 5.
    Fit perfectly in that list of the "biggies".

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Definitely one of the most important originators of the burgeoning form defined as "prog"
    Lots of folks, (hello Rolling Stone mag. and its roster on the board of that Rock hall of fame... ) seem to forget. Or overlook this....

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

While I agree that they should be included, lest the term becomes too restrictive, many argue that neither have the complexity to be true prog bands. They pretty much stick to 4/4. Gilmore had to play the fretless bass parts as Waters didn't have that level of skill. And even on Money, one of their few odd meter songs, they switch from 5/4 to 4/4 when it comes time for Gilmore's solo.

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Can were an extremely agile group live, capable of transforming disparate music ideas and unleash monster improvisations on the fly. Probably only Henry Cow could come really close on an rare all-out improv night, but even then it was never such a captivating magic carpet ride like Can's.

Surely, Soft Machine were great at their repetitive free-psychedelic-jazz jamming, Zappa and Fripp might let their bands loose for a longer while, Magma had their shaman group improvs and chanting (at times not far away from AACM/AEoC's modus operandi), Focus could soldier on improvising for 40 minutes with gusto and bravado, but it all still sounded like a semi-controlled environment. And Can, once unleashed, could just go anywhere and never return, producing surprising twists off the cuff, and that wonderful freedom never felt like an anarchy.

I love the crazy feeling of "anything can happen" on Can live recordings. Their lightness and sheer brilliance of touch I can sometimes find in the music of AreA, Samla Mammas Manna and Maneige, but these three usually followed the script, except for some occasional AreA's outward bound trips. However, it was only Can which had their unique alchemical receipt for an instant transmutation of ideas into improvisations, actually compositions in statu nascendi.

What a band! :)

9. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

Triumvirat

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Totally agree with the Gentle Giant part. I think they're the best prog band ever. Honorable mention to Camel.

Dok likes this.
  11. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

The Alan Parsons Project
    Supertramp
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Rush

linclink likes this.
  12. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Caravan. And the much ignored Egg....a taster for those not familiar...

Svetonio, apesfan and thematinggame like this.
  13. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I agree on the band but not the album , it is a great album but suffers from poor sound, I much prefer the following albums Second and Phantasmagoria, my favourite, however, is the rockier and less progressive Aircut.

14. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Seventh Wave. Eccentric English band that made two albums, "Things to Come" and "Psi-Fi". Dense keyboard/synthesizer arrangements. Vocals which weren't everyone's cup of tea.

Dok likes this.
  15. thematinggame

Not sure if they have been mentioned but in France Ange used to be absolutely huge - my favourite album is Emile Jacotey (1975), one of their albums (Par les fils de Mandrin, 1976) was also released with English vocals but I prefer the original French version - if you haven't heard them yet , check them out , another great French band is Atoll , this is their debut from 1974

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    izgoblin and NorthNY Mark like this.
  16. thematinggame

I am a big fan of Home but only The Alchemist can be considered a prog album, and one of the best too

[​IMG]

a band that I haven't seen mentioned yet and certainly one of my favourites is Beggar's Opera

frimleygreener likes this.
  17. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

It's the only Aphrodite's Child album I've heard, but I really like 666.

anduandi likes this.
  18. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Interesting. Airconditioning, to me, is a classic album, but I agree the album could have been produced a lot better.

Air Cut, I like, but some of the lyrics are a bit lame, and a couple of songs really grate.

I took my favourites from Air Cut & Love Child, and made an album I really like.

19. libertycaps

Now the letter "K" :
    Kahvas Jute
    Kalacakra
    Kuni Kawachi & Friends
    Kebnekaise
    King Ping Meh
    Kollektiv
    Krokodil

chrisblower likes this.
  20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Lots of great bands mentioned here. Aside from the usual UK suspects (VGDD, Gentle Giant, Camel, Caravan), there are many great Euro bands like Ange & Magma from France, Le Orme, PFM and Banco from Italy that have plentiful and worthwhile back catalogues. As far as today is concerned, I'm not nearly so enthusiastic. I think Radiohead is as close as it gets for my taste. I know it's cool to call them overrated nowadays, but I'll take any Radiohead LP over the myriad bands recycling Genesis moves. Those guys have amassed a back catalog as impressive as Genesis, Yes or ELP, IMO.

21. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

For the most part, yes. They pre-date every band referred to in the "Big 5," yet never get the props they deserve. It's a joke.

22. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Caravan.
    Wigwam.
    Aphrodites Child.
    Gentle Giant.
    Strawbs.
    Hudson-Ford.

Noisefreq1 likes this.
  23. libertycaps

"M"