Are there any movies better on DVD than Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Alvin and the Chipmunks looks wonderful on DVD.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Kickboxer looks better on DVD than on Blu-Ray.

3. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I almost gave the DVD to a co-worker - glad that I did not!

chacha likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would agree with you, as my thoughts on the subject were the same. What's the point? I might even think that over sharpening to where you call more attention to detail, might work against you. It's like, we have watched grainy movies all of your lives and are used to it.

Several years back, I walked into a Circuit City and the had a demo of Star Wars playing on a 40-50 inch screen, no film grain sparp and detailed and sterile looking. It looked like when you take a single frame of an animated movie and look at it, it looks lifeless.

People clamor for Blu-ray versions of B&W classic movies, Why? It is just an old B&W movie. Why a Blu-Ray over a DVD? B&W film has a finer grain structure than color film. Why does it need to be enhanced?

I have seen Blu-ray versions of older low budget 35mm films, where the originals were not know for their technical quality and I have to say that I am amazed how the technology exists to restore them better than the originals. This is something that I would have never expected.

Woodstock was shot on 16mm film and a 40th anniversary edition was released on Blu-ray.

Woodstock 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Revisited (BD) [Blu-ray]

[​IMG]

I have not seen this, but I bet that it is better than the DVD that I have. Out of curiosity, I might purchase it to compare.

Today, they can restore film to better than the original. I don't think the original format matters much. Though, I'm not sure that it is always a good idea, creatively speaking.

Maybe, now that Disney owns the Star Wars franchise, they will re-release an un-restored version.

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Blu-rays of Executive Decision (1996) and Tourist Trap (1979) are both edited.... footage is missing that was present in the DVD edition.

Totally inexcusable... how a screw-up of that magnitude even happens in the first place is beyond me.

6. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Ditto, Evil Dead on Blu Ray Rocks!

driverdrummer likes this.
  7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My James Bond Collection looks awesome on Blu Ray. Better on DVD? Not a chance..... :hide: :D

[​IMG]

8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, specifically because the Director's Cut is not available on Blu-ray.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well one thing DVD has in its favour is variety over Blu Ray. Also, not freezing over some firmware update.

jsayers likes this.
  10. DVDs can still freeze if there are scratches (Blu ray is much more scratch resistant) and, to the best of my knowledge, most of the firmware update issues only occur on older players or if the firm ware was never updated in the first place. DVD may have a bit more variety but the image quality increase makes it worthwhile to me.

alexpop likes this.
  11. I have to wonder if this will ever happen. All of the visuals were rendered in lower Rez but, evidently, files do exist that could be updated or, at the very least, they could be rerendered in high Rez for motivation n picture showing a, 4K, etc. it all comes down to if CBS is willing to spend the coin. They haven't been willing to do so yet for DS9 although there was a proof of concept done for the show by one of the visual effects folks (Ron Moore as I recall) and they demonstrated that the existing files could be rerendered with less work than that for TNG simply because most of,the effects were from film and just rescanned and fixed up.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Well Wayne I've got about 1000 DVDs ( paltry some to most members here) no probs with DVDs...maybe one or two. More probs with used blu ray. But I've never had my firmware updated. I've read folk have more problems when the firmware is updated. Player must be 3 years old.

13. It really depends on the player and the disc. I've only had one BD disc that had problems (and Fox replaced it with an updated encode). I have had problems with DVDs that have skipped because of issues with double sided dual layered discs, problems with scratched discs that were received, had pixelation issues, etc. neither format is perfect,of course but I've had more issues over time with some DVDs. I've always kept my firmware updated and few older machines have really needed it in our household.

I know once they started manufacturing DVDs in Mexico that there were issues as well. As far as BD goes, haven't had a problem with those manufactured in Mexico. QC seemed to be a problem at,one time for Universal as well for DVD.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Time Is On My Side

So there was some past talk on this subject on other threads. I believe someone stated that Paramount wanted to see how well Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut) BD did before they released Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut) on BD.

But yes I would think that the special effects all being done in 480P would end it right there.

15. I don't know how many people here will share my opinion (or passion for the overall series), but I didn't believe the Christopher Reeve era Superman films were changed for the better in their transition from DVD to Blu-ray... Sure, the higher resolution transfers do look fantastic in terms of improved detail and sound quality, yet they're not as good when it comes to the overall colour timing choices that were made. For some reason, the powers that be at WB thought it would be a good idea to ramp up the primaries especially, and while there were a handful of occasions where this was done to fix processing effect shots where Superman's costume had to be adjusted so he didn't vanish into the blue screen used for the backgrounds prior to compositing taking place, these definitely aren't the movies I remember growing up with. Saying that, I've got both the Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD and the Motion Picture Anthology BD sets, mainly because the latter included a few additional extras, such as the "Return to Krypton" scene that was originally intended to open Superman Returns. I'm hoping we'll eventually get a more definitive collection, preferably featuring a further recut of Superman II with the best of its two directors' visions, plus the international broadcast variations of all four classic movies, if not Supergirl thrown in as well due to this technically being part of the same continuity.

16. Time Is On My Side

Lethal Weapon & Lethal Weapon 2 Director's Cut. The extra scenes add to the movie. It's also odd that my DVD of Lethal Weapon DC has 384 AC3 5.1 / 1509 DTS 5.1 (probably a carry-over from Laserdisc), but then the Blu-ray only has 640 AC3 5.1 for the audio tracks. Lethal Weapon 2 at least has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There's not really a great selection of Dramas on blu-ray.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

??? There are thousands of dramas on BD. What prominent titles are missing?

19. alexpop

I have loads more DVDs than Blu rays, just can't find titles I want or too pricey.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I really can't understand that at all. I'm constantly astonished at how cheap BluRays are. Pre-recorded videocassettes were about $80-$100 when they first came out, then the price dropped. LaserDiscs were about $50-$80 when they first came out, then the price dropped. DVDs were about $40 when they first came out, then the price dropped. And BluRays entered the marketplace at about $25.

21. alexpop

You can't understand new DVD titles are cheaper than new title
    Blu Rays ?

22. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

I have not seen a DVD yet that has come close to BR but i have seen some pretty bad BR's for (Disney i am talking about you :doh:) PQ.

The likes of Criterion and Arrow have been turning out some fantastic remasters ( Cinema Paradiso from Arrow is stunning). Look out for special editions of The Thing and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage also.

23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Lethal Weapon Collection Blu-ray

24. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

It seems the Blu-ray editions (I-III) have the additional scenes as bonus features only and are not included in the body of the film itself. The Director's cut DVD of Lethal Weapon I clocks in at 117 minutes while the Blu-ray is 110 minutes.

25. Time Is On My Side

Correct. These are not the Director's Cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.