Neil Young Official Release 5-8 & 8.5-12 to get CD release (Pricing & Shipping Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WarEagleRK, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Big Guy likes this.
  2. Bill Pratt

Bill Pratt New Member

I received an email from Amazon US just today saying the release date is now August 18.

Oyster Boy, Musicisthebest and tenor1 like this.
  3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

The boxes still aren't showing on the official online store, but Hitchhiker is which I find strange. Looks also like there is going to be a massive online archive (see note on Neil's official site) but thats probably on another thread

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

both boxes have august 18 release dates.........can it be true?

they moved them UP!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I sent my Decade remaster back and kept the original release, which sounds fine, now has a couple of unique edits, and is legible. I am resigned to keeping the new boxes as I figure the original albums didn't have such elaborate liner notes as Decade, so miniaturization shouldn't present such a problem.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Wait I thought there was no audio differences between the old Decade CD and the remastered CD?

7. Veni Vidi Vici

I heard a difference, although I found both to sound fine. My decision to return was based solely on the packaging. If the new disc sounded better I would have kept it.

8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Are you sure?

I thought the whole point of the new Decade was that it presented a significant upgrade.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Edits? Or just remastering difference? Obviously the mastering is different for sure. I am keeping the Decade jewel case myself and getting rid of the paper mache case or whatever that is supposed to be- "Piece of Crap" paper sleeve.

10. Veni Vidi Vici

I'm sure I can hear a difference, yes. I found it quite audible upon a cursory comparison with cheap headphones. There's nothing much wrong with the old CD, in my opinion. The new CD sounds a little more compressed but not in any way unpleasantly so. No way to say which is "better" or more true to the original LP/master tape/Neil's vision/who knows? My goal in buying the remasters is to get an official CD release of "Time Fades Away" and an unedited "Live Rust". Sound quality is important to me but it's just one factor I consider, not the overriding one. Catalogue completeness often takes precedence.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  11. Veni Vidi Vici

The old CD has edits of "The Old Lady" and "Down by the River" where the new CD has the complete tracks as per their original album releases. So the new CD makes even less sense to own than the old, if you have all the albums. That together with the lack of improvement in sound quality (to my ears) and the inferior packaging made me decide, on balance, that I could happily live without the remaster. YMMV.

bobcat and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. Veni Vidi Vici

That wasn't something I considered doing as I infinitely prefer to keep releases intact, not least for any resale value (which nowadays is marginal but... the Disc May Rise Again!)

13. Bill Pratt

Bill Pratt New Member

Also.. I neglected to say re packaging that Amazon US said they they would be housed in card sleeves. Could they be the limited edition gold cds?
    Perhaps the price tag is suggestive of this.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

could i possibly ask you where you saw this information. please?

i feared the dreaded cardboard sleeves, especially after the horribly packaged decade "remaster", that seriously would make me not buy these, and if they are not HDCD, i'm out, i'll wait for an individual reissue of 'time fades away" (if that ever happens)

bobcat and Oyster Boy like this.
  15. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I can remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the Live Rust CD had been edited to get it on 1 disc. Is this the case? If so, would the increased playing time of CDs since Live Rust was mastered be enough to get it all on 1 CD?

16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the original live rust CD was edited, the new release should be the full LP length.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  17. Veni Vidi Vici

That's an interesting question. Looking at the track times of the original 2LP, the total running time is 72 minutes, going by the stated times on the records as entered into Discogs. The total running time of the original CD release is 74 minutes. Accompanying this release is a note by the Discogs submitter saying that 90 seconds of "Cortez", 30 seconds of "Hey Hey, My My", and some applause was cut to accommodate CD limitations. And indeed, those two tracks are shorter on the CD than the 2LP, although a number of other tracks are in fact longer. Then we come to the Pono release in 2015, which seems to restore what was cut from the 2LP and lengthen slightly some different tracks, for a total running time of 75 minutes... I am assuming (hoping) that the new CD mastering will be based on the Pono release.

18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I don't know that this is the case here, but track lengths on live releases seem to be especially flexible because there's the open question of where, amid the inter-track applause, to officially insert a new chapter break. I'm probably mangling my terminology. Oh well! Anyway, the basic question is: does this little bit of applause belong to the song just finished? or to the song they're tuning up for? and where's the best dividing line? Different people will make different calls there, leading to different track-timings, when the content may be exactly the same. Alternately, it may be the case that the applause itself gets trimmed, which is (usually!) no great loss.

19. Veni Vidi Vici

I've always been of the opinion that, certainly in the digital age when it is so easy to "seek" (skip to) a track, applause would be best included at the end of a track, so that you don't have to listen to applause before a track's music begins to play. I think most live albums I have do this.

The ideal solution for CDs would be to put the applause in the zero'th index of the track, so it would be heard if the disc is played through but not if individual tracks are skipped to (I believe that is how it would work; I may be wrong). I don't think I have any live CDs where that has been, probably because most CD players didn't fully support indexing. I do have a release of the Heartbreakers L.A.M.F. where a rehearsal included on a second disc has between-song studio banter indexed in this way. I'm not sure how CD indexing would translate when converted to ripped files; the audio file formats out there do an inadequate job representing all the slightly strange things that have been done on physical releases, eg. there is no way with CD-DA or the file/streaming formats to represent the gimmick of a locked run-out groove.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  20. Bill Pratt

Bill Pratt New Member

I emailed Amazon US a week ago in relation to my order. They got back to me within a couple of hours.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks......oh boy oh boy.....why neil, why would you cheapen these?

22. The first part of this info is from Wikipedia:

Cortez The Killer was 7:25 but edited to 6:19 for the initial CD release of Live Rust
    Like A Hurricane was 7:49 but cut to 6:19 for the initial CD release of Live Rust
    Hey Hey My (Into The Black) was originally 5:08 but cut to 4.37 for its initial release.

The album Live Rust was re-released with all these edits taken away on the Pono Music store. Having said that, the whole album without any edits is 75 minutes long. It might be possible to put that amount on a CD as they say that a CD can hold up to 80 minutes. Either that or it will be a 2-CD release.

I can't see them releasing another CD release of this album with these same edits as on the first CD release.

23. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I just received the August 18 "new release date" notice from amazon for ORS 5-8 and after years of bootlegs and needledrops, I'm finally going to have a remastered, official CD of my favorite NY album, Time Fades Away! Wow. Thank you Neil.

24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Well, it's looking like these are really coming out! Although they're not shipping yet, the product listing for each of the sets on Bull Moose's website shows that some of their stores have already received their shipments of each box!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  25. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Sorry to divert ... but can anyone tell me if the new reissue of Decade has a HDCD layer ? Going for £9.99 in HMV at the moment so might be interested in re-purchase ...cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.