Finally my Garrard 301 is finished

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident Thread Starter

Davey, H8SLKC, qwerty and 20 others like this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Very nice, I really need to get my 301 restored before the end of the year, then it's just deciding on and affording a plinth as the arm and cart are waiting to go.

3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Looks great.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Beautiful!

5. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Gorgeousity.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Must be a long tonearm! (I only say this because when I first glanced at the photo it appeared as if it was too far from the platter.)

Beautiful 'table. What else is in the system it'll be driving? :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. 575maranello

8. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Terrific looking setup and I have heard that combination of table and arm and really liked that setup. The Ortofon RS 309D arm is extremely good and not crazily priced. I don't know why it is listed as not available in the US; my local dealer buys them from Japan.

9. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I thought from the thread title that it was on the way out! ;)

boboquisp and tubesandvinyl like this.
  10. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Beautiful 301, congrats! Great choice in tonearm. I have the 9" version, the rs-212d on my Thorens TD-124, definitely an under appreciated tonearm.

So what do you think of it?

11. 575maranello

Not sure yet, possibly some vintage Macintosh gear. I have a C20 and a C22 ready to go. Need to find some speakers also.

bhazen likes this.
  12. 575maranello

hahaha good point!

13. Brian308GTS

Brian308GTS Forum Resident

Very nice!

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Vinylista plinths are pretty affordable, but I guess I'm lucky as I prefer the aesthetics over the more expensive CNC-cut styles like the Woodsong.

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That's a beauty!

16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Inconceivable!

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well, I'd say "just about" affordable:laugh:, I want an extra large one with something like Zebra wood:cool:, but yes the Vinylista is top of my shortlist, the trouble is I'm finding it very hard to decide on the plinth, unlike arms and carts it's something very hard to get any direct experience of or even objective opinions about and also aesthetics play such a big part as well as performance, if I could see and hear one in the flesh I might well jump, but I don't know anyone who has taken the Vinylista route, or my other shortlist contenders come to that.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh, nothing in the bespoke idler game is actually affordable by any sane metric, just relative to other ones.

I use a Vinylista plinth with my 301, but its the only plinth I've used so I can't comment on the differences. There are folks on the forum who have used both the Vinylista and the Woodsong, but their names escape me sadly.

SandAndGlass and Dubmart like this.
  19. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Finished! Finished I tell you!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I have used a Vinylista and Woodsong plinth for my 301. I don't think the Vinylista can be beat for its price, a relative bargain. There's a level of craftsmenship to Woodsong plinths that I greatly admire, and it gets you a fuller, maybe more "modern" sound, but I can't say it's objectively better sounding. I'm actually expecting a delivery of my third plinth soon, made by Thomas Schick. Should be fun! Schick Plinth (12” arm) – Ana Mighty Sound

SandAndGlass, Rolltide and Dubmart like this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, they, especially the Garrards, are total money pits, I have friends who tell me, cut your losses and just sell the deck as is, make some money and let someone else put the resources into it, but as it took me thirty years to find my 301 another year or two to get it right won't hurt and let's face it I'm never going to turn up another 1954 grey grease bearing 301 at a price I can afford again, plus threads like this remind me why I'm doing it.:righton:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That looks very interesting, although not cheap, I'll be very interested in how you rate it compared to your other plinths.

Jtycho likes this.
  23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's definitely worth it. You'll never desire another table. The enjoyment one gets from a table they spec'd themselves is unbeatable imo.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Ha, I think the other tables I already have may be a problem, though the 301 will be dedicated to mono so I can safely justify all of them to myself, I may still desire a TD-124 though, they are just so pretty.

SandAndGlass and Steve0 like this.
  25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Embedded it for you OP.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.