Lindisfarne.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt Pepper, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone here listening to or have an interest in Lindisfarne from the UK, Fog On The Tyne is superb.

2. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

I like.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Their first album, Nicely Out of Tune, is perfect and deserves to be more widely known. Fog on the Tyne is nearly as good. At their best, with the first line up, Lindisfarne were a great band. They are much loved in the north east of England where I'm from.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I love Meet Me On The Corner.

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

"Lady Eleanor" is a total classic, (from another homeboy.)

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Saw them live in 1974, sandwiched between Little Feat and Traffic. I remember liking them third best. Would be curious about their studio recordings and which to start with.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Start at the beginning. The first two albums were best. By 1974 they were past their peak.

8. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

One of my favorites. I have all their studio & live stuff plus a few extras up thru Here Comes the Neighborhood. So hard to pick favorites, but The News, Back & Fourth & Sleepless Nights are at the top.

carlwm likes this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Nicely Out Of Tune 1970
    Fog On The Tyne 1971
    Dingly Dell 1972

Really like these three, but that's as far as I go.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I had their first two in the 1970s but it's Alan Hull's first two solo albums I'm still crazy about. What's weird is I preferred the non-Hull tracks on those Lindisfarne albums (Meet Me On the Corner, Road to Kingdom Come etc)
    [​IMG]

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If you like their folkier side, be sure to check out Jack the Lad.

12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I used to love this song back in the summer of 1972, "Lady Eleanor" got good airplay on FM radio here in the States where I was living at the time (San Diego). One of my favorite songs from that year.

Rufus rag, carlwm and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Here in Norway, they are one of the "secret" bands of the 70s. Few people have heard of even "FOG ON THE TYNE", "MEET ME ON THE CORNER" or "LADY ELEANOR". I was lucky enough to stumble upon the latter on a compilation of 70s hits, and immediately loved it.

Still do. :righton:

14. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I remember the first time I heard it on Radio 1 in 1972.

Johnnie Walker played Rocket Man followed by Lady Eleanor, pure magic.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a lot of their early LP's but haven't listened to for a few years....due for a visit. A guy traded me a whole box of UK LP's for some paper ephemera. Lindisfarne,Fairport,Pentangle,Sandy Denny,Swarb,Martin Carthy,etc....good stuff!

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

My interest in late 60s/early 70s British folk/rock (dunno what else to call it) has been ripening, and I added this album to my small collection of Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Bert Jansch, Steeleye Span, etc.

17. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would go with Fog On The Tyne as a start:

[​IMG]

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's always surprised me that Bob Johnston produced Fog On The Tyne. How did that happen?!?

The first three albums are all good, I'd say, but they are definitely in descending order of quality. I've not heard the fourth album (Roll On Rosey?) or the post-reformation stuff (though Run For Home is a good pop single).

Alan Hull had a very short songwriting career, a bit like Tim Hardin's: most of his songs were written in an eighteen month period. His first solo album Pipedream should be regarded as part of the Lindisfarne canon, as it features all the band members (and is superb, anyway).

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I must pick up Pipedream. I've never heard it.

20. You will not be disappointed.

Best Wishes,
    David

21. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

A great band, and luckily, off an uncle who bought them on release , I've got the 1st 4 albums on vinyl. The 1st album is IMHO a masterpiece, great from beginning to end. January song off fog on the Tyne is brilliant. Off a later album, I'd have to check which, Run for Home is great.

Slim Zooms and Almost Simon like this.
  22. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I need to get into their albums. The best of is great and the later Run for Home too.

One thing to checkout is youtube. There's quite a bit of BBC Old Grey Whistle test performances of the band and also Alun Hull to check out.

Maltman and Sgt Pepper like this.
  23. Almost Simon

24. Almost Simon

I knows its solo and not Lindisfarne but why not......

adriatikfan and Sgt Pepper like this.
  25. Almost Simon