Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

So, among my finds today was a 2 CD set of Sonny Rollins' A Night at the Village Vanguard. This copy is on the Jazz Heritage label, which I'd always assumed to be grey market stuff, but a forum search tells me these are record club items cloned from their original digital sources. This copy says it's a McMaster digital transfer, and it's also in mono. It came in a fat boy case and the artwork is in black and white. I wasn't knocked out by the sound on a very cursory preview (not much bass response), but I don't have a BN pressing with which to compare it. How was the sound quality on the original, generally speaking? I know the performance is legendary, so I grabbed this hoping for the best and figured a minty 2 CD set for $4 was worth the gamble. Are they, in fact, cloned copies?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Final play of the evening. What a band.

rxcory, Stu02, Aura and 6 others like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the drummer Ferit Odman? I ordered his LP Autumn In New York from Acoustic Sounds and was just wondering how the performances are.

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Those are two great finds. Haven't found a Lee Morgan disc I don't like

Aura likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Stefon Harris - Black Action Figure (Blue Note) double lp

Just got back from dinner with an old friend who's into jazz every bit as me if not more. Right after we get seated who walks in? Russ Soloman (Tower's owner) and three of his old lieutenants are seated next to us so we talked a bit. Russ has always been really nice and approachable when I've run into him. Good to see him still out and about. They were celebrating a birthday so the old gang still stays in touch apparently. They were talking music and stereos too, bless their hearts. Same as Richard and me.

rxcory, Erik B., Lonson and 1 other person like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Adding to the Lee Morgan love, The Gigolo (Blue Note) Stereo Liberty pressing.

Such a sassy opener (Yes I Can, No You Can't)

rxcory, Stu02 and Aura like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden (Parlophone) 2012 reissue

Not jazz but this album has something in common with jazz like an appreciation of dynamics. One of my favorite rock/pop albums.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jeff Beck - There & Back (Epic) orig. lp

This was my least favorite of Jeff's first three studio jazz rock albums. For one, it never sounded great and the songs on Wired and Blow By Blow were better. There are some good tracks on the album though and some ferocious playing from Jeff. Simon seems a bit hamstrung, maybe due to production choices and tastes at the time. With the musicians involved it could have been a really good album.

rxcory likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

NP: Thelonious Monk, Solo Monk (ORG Music, Pallas pressed, Grundman mastered).

Great way to start the workday. Next up: Miles Davis, Workin' (RVG mono deep groove).

10. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

I recently listened again to a record very seldom mentioned The gifted ones
    I heard one track on the radio 25 years ago and instantly ordered the record, it is so WOW, especially the first track back to the land.
    Dizzie and Count in a small formation, I must say that I love Dizzie in small formation and not so much in big band.
    You can get this record on all media it's ok, the latest I've got is a Japanese LP but the standard Pablo one was ok.
    I want to share this extraordinary moment :
    [​IMG]

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue (Analogue Productions, Fantasy 100 series, 45)

[​IMG]

I had a little trouble finding a non-OJC image that was neither too big nor blurry. I got this one from acousticsounds a while ago, when I opened it the jacket had come completely unglued; I called acousticsounds and they had some spare jackets and sent me one out right away. Never had any problems with acousticsounds customer service, they've always been super nice and helpful (only one other time I had to call them, for a replacement of a scratched Brilliant Corners album in the Monk Tenor Box).

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Walt Dickerson (New Jazz)
    First lp

NP Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Blue Note) NY mono pressing.

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ahmed Abdul-Malik - East Meets West (RCA) stereo reissue.

The great bass player associated with Monk plays an oud as well.

rxcory, johnnypaddock, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Denny Zeitlin - Live At the Trident (Columbia) two eye stereo pressing.
    With Charlie Haden on bass!

15. Thanks for drawing attention to this @Lonson and others who have recommended it. What an awesome album!

rxcory, Lonson and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I really like late Miles and this goes down really well with me.

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  17. David Ellis

What an album!

rxcory, djost, Lonson and 3 others like this.
  18. David Ellis

[​IMG]
    Listening to this double LP for the first time in a while. I'd forgotten how good it is.

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Cool! I really did like it yesterday, more so than some of the other late Miles recordings I've gotten recently. The first time I listened to Under Arrest, I liked it; the 2nd time I liked it, but a little bit less; the third time, I though something to the effect "I'll give this one more listen some time in the not too distant future and if it doesn't step a notch up, it'll probably be the last for a while". Man with a Horn, I've only put on once since I got it, but it didn't resonate with me, I'll have to try it out again soon. Actually, I have a whole stack of late Miles albums waiting to be listened to for the first time: Amandla, Tutu, Aura, and Decoy (I think I started listening to Decoy once but got interrupted). Until a few months ago I had always avoided the late Miles.

David Ellis likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

WP: Miles Davis, Bags' Groove (AP Prestige mono)

NP:

[​IMG]

Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers - Blue Note 1518 (Music Matters 45)

21. David Ellis

I like all those but then I'm a bit strange:laugh:

dzhason likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Have you heard the Heard Live Around The World? It is incredible for this era of Miles. Kenny Garrett is a monster on these recordings. I'm not a big fan of Miles' later years but there are still me gems and the live album makes a good "sampler" of said tracks.

23. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Another recent acquisition. Solid album throughout, but nothing really blew me away.

rxcory, alankin1, djost and 3 others like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No, I haven't gotten that one yet.

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have streamed Aura once several months ago, I remember that I really liked it. On Under Arrest, I liked the Human Nature and Time After Time covers (10 years ago I never would've imagined those words would ever come out of my mouth). Something overall was not quite gelling for me, I think it may have actually been Miles :eek:. (Omg, what have I said).