Vice: Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert C, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Was the first one I played when they turned up and you're not wrong! Such a well recorded album.

Robert C and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And people under 30.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

TBH, I think you could find all these titles in a charity shop over the course of one year. That's not to say these albums are not worth your attention, but if you wanted something more esoteric, then you would have to pay more or wait a lot longer.

Mintsauce likes this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish it was possible to get good-sounding Manics stuff outside of ripping my vinyl LP's. They're one of the saddest victims of the loudness wars.

Mintsauce likes this.
  5. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I know exactly what you're saying but I was shocked how cheap they were as I'd not really looked at cds for a number of years. I still kept hundreds of them after I turned them first to MP3 and then flac and finally back on the shelves.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe in their physical store, That's Entertainment, but online there are plenty in excess of this price. They pay upto £2.50 per CD, but you could probably sell anything over £2 for more yourself.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Oh yes, a lot of CDs are really cheap. I picked up a copy of FYC's The Raw & the Cooked. Not a rare title, but this version was a unusual US version in mint condition for 49p, so I thought why not. Then there are the three I picked up from Air Ambulance for £1 (two 80s Tom Petty albums and Belinda Carlisle's Heaven on Earth. There was also the Elaine Paige target for £1, but that's a separate issue (last seen on ebay, but I wasn't paying £17 for it).

Mintsauce likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of them was a Sharon Tandy CD on Ace which has always been full price. That one was £6.99. The other was Peggy Lee - Classics and Collectibles which is now deleted and hard to find. They didn't look good when I received them but they refunded both and let me keep them. I managed to remove the stickers and ink from the discs and the stickers from the booklets without too much damage. They both now look acceptable.

9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Of course!!

Just bought 7 'excellent titles' (to me)yesterday...
    all M- , like new, @ the SA. $6.00.

One is an Italian classical music CD box set in cover (3 CDs in case) which sells for $40-$50 used. :) I had no idea... it just ' looked ' special - & a thick booklet.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  10. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

At the thrift nearby CDs are now 5/$1.00!

Tjazz, Sax-son and bluesky like this.
  11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Wow.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That situation kinda sucks, especially as they mention artwork/disc not being defaced when selling to them. Obscure OOP discs are the hardest to track down. Sometimes you have to wait years to see it in the bins.

13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Now that's what I'm talking about!

bluesky likes this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I imagine when prices get that low, the store is quickly left with just junk. Even the VHS tapes that charity shops in the UK priced at 10p were mostly exercise videos.

Chooke likes this.
  15. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Well, I managed to spend $3 there last visit.

timind likes this.
  16. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For a total of £20.00 this morning from my local shop....long live the death of c.d's!! Also got "Another side of Bob Dylan" in the price paid,but can only post five images:)

17. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Sorry - should have clarified - I buy all mine from Amazon UK Marketplace and as far as I can see, Music Magpie (formerly Zoverstocks) never charge more than £6.99 a CD there.

18. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I just bought three on eBay today, and the Billy Joel Greatest Hits MFSL SACD. Sorry but I just find a CD sounds better than lossy downloads.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Try again in another 34 years.

weekendtoy likes this.
  20. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Yeah, I also bought one bad disc in all those years. The other 1509 were nice, thought. :righton:

billnunan, e.s. and timind like this.
  21. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

It wasn't the disc that was defective it was the format.

22. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

TonyCzar, Gaslight, e.s. and 5 others like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

But it's getting better... It took 34 pages for this post to appear.:D

Robert C, TonyCzar, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

yes i do. i like psychical media. If only those *** ***** ***** *** morons would stop charging such asinine prices for a new LP these days. dislike the gouging they do.

would rather have the LP's last a lifetime x2 if cared for.

25. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Srange how you think something which will last 2 lifetimes should be so cheap.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.