The Waterboys: OUT OF ALL THIS BLUE - New Album due September 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Long time fan don't really care for this new track and I say that saying the man has got his mojo back the last dozen years so. Still pre-ordered the 3CD version.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

Preorders starting as of yesterday include a download of "If The Answer Is Yeah". Unfortunately, I preordered it before that came into effect, and I didn't have a login, so I don't think I can get the track. Don't know if it's MP3 or lossless or what. I downloaded the single from iTunes yesterday morning.

4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Huh. I do like the new song but I don't dig the horns. The song sounds a bit Karl Wallinger!

5. InStepWithTheStars

I wasn't sure about it the first few listens but it really grew on me. This ain't the Mike Scott of Universal Hall, but I say it's still Mike Scott.

TeddyB likes this.
  6. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Ordered the special 3CD/3LP bundle from the Waterboys site. Rather the money go direct to the band than Amazon and their ilk.

7. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Definitely.

8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Horns were a big part of the Pagan Place era Waterboys......

9. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

After listening to that track my hope for decent SQ is starting to diminish. I had my hopes up because the last album sounded good both musically and sonically.

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Out Of All This Blue will be issued on 2CD, DD, and 2LP sets. To make for a better deal, a 3CD Deluxe Edition, and a 3LP Deluxe Edition will be available as well. In addition to the original album, the Deluxe Edition will deliver eleven bonus tracks including an alternate version of “If The Answer Is Yeah!” There will be a small UK tour to support the album’s release beginning on October 18.

11. InStepWithTheStars

12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, but not so much "funky" horns.

13. InStepWithTheStars

New song!

I'm getting a strong "Always Dancing, Never Getting Tired" vibe off this one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

the melody of verse took me straight to Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

Ha! Good catch! I didn't think of that, but I definitely hear it now.

The guitar lick called "A Pagan Place" to mind, but like I said, the chorus and overall structure reminds me of "Always Dancing". As with "Answer", I wasn't sure about this the first time around, but I'm really digging it now.

16. InStepWithTheStars

My favorite of the singles out so far. Formed that opinion halfway through the song.

17. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

As a fairly keen Waterboys fan I've been listening to all these singles with interest. Much as I'd really like to, I can't get excited about anything I've heard so far. Everything sounds slightly too obvious, in that I can tell where the songs are going to go before they get there, & all the songs vaguely remind me of other, better Waterboys songs. Hopefully there are more interesting songs on the album that haven't yet appeared on Youtube.

18. InStepWithTheStars

My theory is that he's puttig the silly love songs out in advance and leaving the "epics" to be discovered." I believe I posted a live clip of "The Connemara Fox" earlier which had much more bite than the singles so far.

I believe he stated that the album is 96 minutes long - it's completely impossible for all the songs to be the style/length of the released ones.

But we'll see. Just three more weeks!

Musicisthebest likes this.
  19. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I hope you're right.

20. InStepWithTheStars

Even if it ends up being a style you don't really care for, all you have to do is wait for the new album and he'll be doing something completely new. (And apparently it's already finished, or at least well into the process).

21. InStepWithTheStars

Only eight days left. Ian James Ross, who has been designing the single covers and presumably the CD/LP artwork and packaging, posted a picture on Twitter of the 2CD and 3CD sets, and the track listing includes the song lengths:

2:58 Do We Choose Who We Love
    4:11 If I Was Your Boyfriend
    3:57 Santa Fe
    3:33 If The Answer Is Yeah
    6:24 Love Walks In

7:49 New York I Love You
    5:30 The Connemara Fox
    2:57 The Girl In The Window Chair
    8:15 Morning Came Too Soon
    2:28 Hiphopstrumental 4 (Scatman)

4:36 The Hammerhead Bar
    2:04 Mister Charisma
    6:00 Nashville, Tennessee
    3:16 Man, What A Woman
    1:23 Girl In A Kayak
    2:52 Monument
    5:19 Kinky's History Lesson

0:57 Skyclad Lady
    3:06 Rokudenashiko
    5:52 Didn't We Walk On Water
    4:31 The Elegant Companion
    4:55 Yamaben
    3:24 Payo Payo Chin

With only one week left to go, I don't know if he's going to release another single or not. The past two Fridays have yielded new releases; if I were to guess, based on titles and track lengths, I would say the last pre-release single would be "If I Was Your Boyfriend" or "Man, What A Woman". Perhaps the new music video for "If The Answer Is Yeah" will be this week's release - it remains to be seen.

I haven't been this excited for a new album ever before, though. Only one of the singles hit me hard on first listen, but I loved them the more I played them, and the variety of styles so far has me pumped. I'm hoping "The Hammerhead Bar" has more of that sleazy jazz style of "Mister Charisma" as it seems to segue from the song before it. There's also the rougher rock sound of "The Connemara Fox" previewed live on Twitter, and the bizarre write-ups of "New York I Love You" point to that as one of the album's centerpieces.

I can only hope that the mail service tries to get it here on time... :wiggle: :goodie:

JohnB likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

23. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

I can't stop listening to the new songs as far as they've been released so far. Really good.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  24. InStepWithTheStars

Very different to what's come before, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't be Mike Scott!

Just... two... more... days... :drool:

julotto likes this.
  25. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

It's strange. Back in 1983 I bought the "Boy called Johnny" 12" single when it came out, then largely forgot about them, loved the Whole of the Moon single, later liked the Dream Harder album but never stayed with them as a regular listener. But right now I'm quite into them. Just listened to the Modern Blues album. Wow. Now I actually think about seeing them live in Hamburg in November. There are some good tickets left (row 4). Never saw them live before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.