Should I get the Zeppelin 2014 Deluxe CDs just for the extra content?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident Thread Starter

For both LP and CD, I'm covered for the albums proper. Is it worth essentially paying premium for all the 'goodies' such as alt. mixes? (yawn)

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would be selective and buy the deluxe editions for your favorite albums to start out. Then decide if you want the others.

This is what I did and only bought a couple of deluxe editions. The rest were not worth it to me. Even though I and II are my favorite albums the bonus discs were a waste IMO. The live disc with I is crap IMO.

I did buy the deluxe for III, IV and HOTH. I had to have the alternates for Since I've Been Loving you, Stairway and No Quarter. The deluxe for Coda is also worth it for the bonus tracks.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

3. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

Can a Zep collector weigh in on anything Page left in the vaults that SHOULD have been included? I bought II and Coda but wondered why the others had a lot of alternate mixes and so few uncovered tracks? Is the Zep vault drained?

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If the alternate mixes make you yawn, then don't waste your money (except for Coda). I happen to love them so they were worth it.

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I got all the deluxes but I've never had any interest in the bonus content. When I wanted to buy the first album, the deluxe was the only copy available, and I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive so I had to get the deluxes of everything else.

Coda has a ton of bonus content (although it can easily fit on one disc - I think it's only spread over two to match the LP) but I've not listened to much of it. I haven't listened to the actual album yet, for that matter.

I was tempted to sell off my deluxe sets and buy the single-disc versions, but the sticking point for me is that the deluxe booklets have more content than the standard ones. Not a ton, only like three or four photos per booklet, but that trade off wasn't worth it to me.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Zeppelin 1 Vinyl - has a second album which is live Paris I believe - which is awesome! The others are boring so far.

Munros1969 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have the Classic vinyl for all, but II & HoH, which are 'RL' s, so I never reach for any of the CDs, yet I do have the 2014s of I, II, III, and In Through The Outhouse Door.

I don't know why.

:shrug:

8. You've answered your own question, it seems.

Personally I thought they were definitely worth it overall. The second disc for III is fantastic, for instance. The instrumental versions and alternates for HOTH, also. The different mixes for Stairway and Kashmir. I could go on. For people who have every note of the original catalog imprinted in their psyche, yes, even the subtly different versions are fascinating.

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I wasn't impressed by the bonus material.

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Same here. Just Coda was worthwhile

eric777 likes this.
  11. The BBC Sessions are a lot fun if you don't have it already.

footlooseman likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Both Tidal and Spotify Premium have 'em all, from I through Coda, incl. bonus tracks. If you haven't burned through a free trial membership for both, now might be the time....

I enjoyed all of them in their own way to some extent (listened to them all through streaming), but I only bought three hi-res titles in the end. I agree with those who have said "Coda" is the best (from the bonus content standpoint).

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I think if I did this again, I would go for the new versions of Coda and the BBC set, and get the single disc versions for the rest. The bonuses aren't really terrific, IMHO. Also, the negative image of the front cover on the back of the expanded 2CD editions leaves a bit to be desired art-wise.

14. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I love the bonus material and listen to it more often lately than the albums proper.

DK Pete likes this.
  15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

16. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yep, that's the only one I went for too.

Veni Vidi Vici and rebellovw like this.
  17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is great - I'm not sure why others are so critical of it - Zep live - are you kidding me?? A surprise I certainly wasn't expecting.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  18. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I like it also. People bitched when they put out lame studio bonus tracks, wanted more live material. So they release live material on the Zep I and they bitch also.

Bill, WhoTapes1 and rebellovw like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Pretty weak bonus material.

20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Personally I liked the bonus discs for the most part. That said probably Coda, LZ1 & LZIII are the best. I'm glad I got them, and listen to them frequently myself.

21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I think the deluxe editions are fabulous. So much so that I even splurged on the deluxe boxes. In my opinion they are more than worth it. But then again I'm a Zeppelin nut to begin with. They are one of only two or three bands that I can never get enough of. Page could release a "companion" to the companion albums next week and I'd be first in line to buy them. :)

That said, I've discovered that many were looking for something different with the outtakes (unused songs or actual demos etc) and thus many were under-whelmed by the releases. As a result, if being honest, I probably wouldn't recommend them to someone who merely enjoys the albums or who seeks something elaborate in terms of outtakes.

My favorite companion disc is that for Led Zeppelin IV. I find the backing track to "Going To California" gorgeous, and the Sunset Sound mix of "Stairway To Heaven" is slowly becoming my preferred mix. The U.K. Mix of "When The Levee Breaks" is also worthwhile, with additional panning in places and a slightly more "psychedelic" texture to it.

Again, I love this kind of stuff. I can sit for days and appreciate the nuances in the alternate licks of "Achilles Last Stand", or the alternate instrumentation brought forward in "Carouselambra", or the lush remix of "The Rain Song", or the alternate "Heartbreaker" solo. None of the above are drastic differences nor would they allure most non or casual Zeppelin fans. Which is why I probably wouldn't recommend them to someone in a general sense. Especially if you already own the catalog by prior means. But if you're anything like me and enjoy breaking down the often slight differences between the album mix of "Stairway To Heaven" and the Sunset Sound mix passage by passage, then there are treats that await on all of these deluxe editions.

Best wishes and happy listening! :)

boboquisp, The Hud, mattright and 3 others like this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The extras on Coda are worth it.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You said (yawn) so I think you answered your own question.

24. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

Some of the rough mixes are neat, but generally the bonus discs don't add much to the original albums, in my opinion.
    Now, if Physical Graffiti had just been a single album with the '74 tracks, the bonus content for I, II, III, IV, and Houses Of The Holy would have been much more interesting! :p

25. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

I don't understand needing every scrap of music including demos and live performances for a group. Usually what's left off the original album is left off for a good reason. The Diament's are the best sounding, but even if they weren't I still would see if their was a single CD option available.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.