Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Technics has some promotional videos about hiring many of its old turntable engineers. Some of them started their own shop after being fired from Technics and were brought on as consultants.

snorker and Tim Müller like this.
  2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

It's still only a turntable, not a Mars lander. I think a good engineer could work out a good design using lessons learned from the original and a bigger budget. I don't think they did anything fundamentally different than the MK2 in any case. (Don't beat me up over this opinion, I'm not disputing that the 1200 G is a step up from the MK2.)

Aftermath and Tim Müller like this.
  3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

If you weren't on the design team, how would you know?

jeff

4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

if it wasn't 9 thousand dollars, i might have bitten. totally overpriced to the top 10% of humanity.......which leaves me out.

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Uh, it's not "9-thousand", it's 17-hundred, a slight difference...:agree:

snorker likes this.
  6. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That's why I used the word "fundamentally," it's still DD. I've read the various Technics descriptions and I don't see anything that is a big departure from the MK2. They certainly beefed things up and seemed to improve the vibration control but to my mine a "fundamental" change would be going to belt drive. But that's just my opinion. BTW, part of engineering training is to look at something and figure out how it works. It's science, not magic, and doesn't require being on the team to understand how something works. While the execution of neutral vinyl playback may be difficult and potentially expensive, the principle is simple.

rebellovw likes this.
  7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Well the dealer didn't have a 2M Bronze in stock (it's coming Tuesday) so I'm stuck in mono mode:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Lucca90, Shawn and 8 others like this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Congratulations. How do you like it?

9. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

What a beauty! You were able to level that Ortofon SH-4 headshell with the available VTA?

I'm curious about your mono cart. Is that needed/recommended for modern mono recordings, for example, Jefferson Airplane and the Beatles mono records?

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

So far so good! Build quality is great and it sounds excellent.

As for the SH-4, when mounted to the Technics overhang gauge the underside where the cartridge mounts is 3mm higher compared to the Technics headshell. The Mooo Mat measures 2.7mm so when used in conjunction with the included rubber mat the arm sits level (or very, very close to it) at the zero setting.

I haven't honestly spun enough yet to comment on whether a mono cart makes enough of a diffference on newly cut mono albums but the few original monos I've spun so far sound noticeably better.

I do remember reading on Ortofon's site that their SE version of the 2M Mono had a different cut to the diamond to get the most out of the mono Beatles box. The version I have is a nude spherical with a smaller profile than old mono styluses had but not as small as the SE version which I believe is closer to a micro line profile.

EDIT: the 2M Mono SE has a Nude Shibata diamond.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    snorker likes this.
  11. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

ok, only 2K with tax etc. still a far cry from the 500 for the MKII's I've purchased.

after 15 years if they prove their reliability, i will buy one :) sarcasm

12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

@Bathory I paid $1,699 and not a penny more - no tax, no shipping, no etc. My guess is that by the holidays as dealer inventories build you'll be able to snag them for $1,500 without much effort.

I get the skepticism around the new deck being much better than where they left off in 2010, particularly the GR, it was bound to happen since Technics revived the 1200 series rather than coming out with an asthetically differentiated model. For me it came down to taking a chance on a DJ used/abused original 1200 or pay nearly the same price for NOS. It was a no-brained in that regard to go new and get a warranty.

13. If after loosening the screw you are able to twist the headshell along its horizontal axis and then retighten the screw to secure the headshell, then it does allow for azimuth adjustment. This should be very easy to test. Anybody?

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I haven't tested it because I can get azimuth correct with the play the bayonet mount allows.

I suppose it could just be a screw for no particular reason...but why? It is otherwise identical to the original headshell that does not have a screw there. Nor did the M5G version.

EDIT: @wgb113, does the GR have the same headshell with a screw?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The GR is a completely different motor design under the surface. The old 1200 would be a similar price if it had continued in production. Some used prices aren't far off the GR price in any case. So you are getting a better new product for not much more money. No doubt when this becomes established there will be some discounting. The Old 1200 was heavily discounted and became far cheaper in real terms over time.

snorker likes this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It does.

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Loosening the set screw DOES allow you to twist the headshell enough to correct for any azimuth issues you might have. I confirmed it this morning on the headshell included with my SL-1200GR.

bluemooze and snorker like this.
  19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thank you! I figured they wouldn't add that screw for no reason.

20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I wonder if that headshell is or will be available on it's own? Seems worth having one.

21. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Looks great with the Mooo Mat

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What play? There should be no play when the headshell is tightened with the collar. Is this your first 1200?

How do you explain the absolute no reference in the manual about azimuth correction, while it explains every other adjustment on the tonearm? I'd be careful with that until an official statement from the manufacturer.

23. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The screw is used to change azimuth. It's on multiple types of headshells. I use the same thing on my Yamamoto headshells as well. Just because it's not in the manual, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

snorker likes this.
  24. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Maybe, this particular adjustment is not that easy for the average customer, so they decided to adjust it in the factory, and have the customer not tinker with it.
    However, it works. But was intended for adjustment by service personell only.
    Just guessing.

Regarding the price, the original SL1200 MKII sold for only around 400 Euros in the last year of production, befor the stop of production was announced.
    The new SL1200 GR sells for around 1500 Euros.

I cannot imagine, that the price of the original SL1200 MKII would have raised by 300% between 2009 and 2017, had they not stopped the production, but would have replaced worn tools by new ones, and continued the production.

However, how many people bought the original SL1200 MKII in the last years of production?

Some of the DJs switched to the cheaper China/Hanpin sourced TTs, some of the audiophiles switched to the belt-driven Projects, Regas, or so.

Even I thought the price was a bit ambitous back then...

I think, the stop of production made people aware of this iconic turntable. And, as a consequence, gave Panasonic/Technics the chance to increase the sales price.

Best regards

Wngnt90 likes this.
  25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It is, though not cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.