Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Would the written description include any mathematical theory? Use of colors? German language?

Maybe a CD megabox set to the winner?

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

No. Just the music as I heard it, as well as I could describe it, which would include some chords, general feeling, and perhaps some instrumentation.

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Listening to Mahler Symphony No. 5 conducted by James Levine with the Philadelphia Orchestra. 1978 on RCA. Excellent sonics and powerful performance on the old original CD release!

ToddBD likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Is anyone familiar with this Haitink recording of Brahms and Dvorak? I like what I have heard from both composers but have never listened to the Hungarian Dances or Slavonic Dances so I ordered this CD pretty cheap to try them out. Hopefully the performances and sound quality are good as I expect they will be from the Concertgebouw Orchestra on Philips.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, dale 88 and RiRiIII like this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It an amazing set of recordings of the dances, especially the Brahms' ones. Limited release on LP.

dale 88 likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Both sets of works were originally for piano, four hands and then orchestrated later--unless I'm much mistaken, not always by the composer himself. No time to consult resources like Wikipedia at the moment, but if I'm not much mistaken Dvorak had a hand in doing some of the Brahms ones and maybe vice versa. In all events, I'd strongly recommend hearing them in their keyboard form as well. There's no shortage of recordings out there (albeit not nearly as many as of the orchestrations), but in CD format for the Dvorak I can commend the Labeque sisters for predictably lively, spirited performances. In the Brahms, I also have the Labeques on LP (haven't played it in a long time, but dimly recall it may not have been quite up to their Dvorak) and also Brendel and Klein; by contrast, my two or three accounts on CDs are perfectly enjoyable but in no way "distinguished" enough to go far out of your way to get. Veri and Jamanis on the old PriceLes$ cheapie label is as good as any of them, I guess. I'd be astonished if the Labeques and Brendel & Klien hadn't made it onto a CD at some point. I can give a "negative" recommendation: stay away from any recording that puts "four hands" (two players, one piano) music on two pianos, four hands. You might not think so, but four hands music does not sound at all the same when so transferred.

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic
    Shostakovich: Symphonies No. 1 & 5
    Supraphon, 2005
    [​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  8. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Jean-Yves Ossonce
    New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
    Massanet: Orchestral Suites
    Scenes pittoresques
    Scenes napolitaines
    Scenes de feerie
    Scenes alsaciennes

Naxos, 1995

excellent natural sound

9. dale 88

[​IMG]

I pulled this to listen to the Stravinsky: 3 movements from Petrouchka, as I read an article by Jed Distler & Patrick Rucker in Gramophone revisiting this 1972 DGG recording.

10. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Listened to this on LP from the reprint :
    [​IMG]
    Orchestral Suite No. 2 is the best here with Hans-Martin Linde on flute.
    Bach: Orchestral Suites
    Collegium Aureum

ToddBD likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

My first set of the Brandenburg Concerti was by these forces, released on the BASF label. Back in those days I had the silly idea that one should own one "best" version of any work and no more, so when I received the Smithsonian Chamber Players set as a gift, I disposed of the Collegium Aureum one. :rolleyes: :doh: Since then, I've reassembled the series on a mix of Time Life and Victrola pressings.

dale 88 likes this.
  12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Mussorgsky collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

What a coincidence...on the turntable now (mine is a mono dowel rod)
    [​IMG]

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I may have this Angel LP as well ...

15. dale 88

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic
    Martinu: Piano Concerto No. 3/Josef Palenicek, piano
    Martinu: Bouquet of Flowers
    [​IMG]

16. dale 88

Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    The First 70 years box
    disc 5 - Overtures
    01 - (9:15) Weber: Euryanthe, J. 291 Overture - Rudolf Kempe & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    02 - (13:13) Mendelssohn: "A Midsummer Night's Dream", Op.2,overture (Allegro Di Molto) - Witold Rowicki & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    03 - (8:11) Beethoven: Overture "Coriolan", Op.62 - Joseph Keilberth & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    04 - (10:32) Schumann: Manfred, Op.115 Ouvertüre - Fritz Lehmann & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    05 - (7:27) Verdi: La Forza Del Destino Overture (Sinfonia) - Ferdinand Leitner & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    06 - (8:11) Nicolai: Die Lustigen Weiber Von Windsor (The Merry Wives of Windsor) Overture - Wolfgang Sawallisch & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    07 - (9:19) Weber: Oberon, J.306 Overture - Clemens Krauss & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
    08 - (9:18) Beethoven: Music to Goethe's Tragedy "Egmont" Op.84 Overture - Eugen Jochum & Bamberg Symphony Orchestra

17. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I have that!!! :righton:

ToddBD likes this.
  18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

My latest arrival....Bach..can't go wrong...And nice smooth and sonorous playing....

[​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Just recommended this to another member and figured I would give it another spin.

crispi likes this.
  20. dale 88

1962. I think this is Rampal's best version of the Bach Flute Sonatas. The sound is excellent. disc 5 of the first Erato Rampal box set.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    ToddBD likes this.
  21. dale 88

Mussorgsky:
    Pictures at an Exhibition
    A Night on Bald Mountain

Borodin:
    In the Steppes of Central Asia

Rimsky-Korsakov:
    Capriccio Espagnol

Karel Ancerl
    Czech Philharmonic
    Supraphon, 2002

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  22. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Elliott Carter: Interventions, for piano and orchestra
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard, piano
    BBC Symphony Orchestra/Oliver Knussen

[​IMG]

ToddBD and scompton like this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

On Sirius XM today, I heard segments of Schubert's A Major piano sonata (no. 20) performed by one Shai Wosner (as the announcer had it; the SoundHound application on my phone identified it as being by Jeno Jando). I must say, what I heard caught my attention; while the pianist did not capture the force of the more dramatic passages in the way my benchmark Friedrich Wuhrer did, presumptive-Wosner's general sound world was right on the money. Anybody here familiar with his work more generally? I'll confess to having heard nothing else played by him, at least not knowingly.

ToddBD likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Haven't heard him, sorry.

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Eisner has some interesting looking recordings. Shai Wosner, Piano - Recordings