Should I get the Zeppelin 2014 Deluxe CDs just for the extra content?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Lotta people saying this. I don't yet have LZI or Coda...is the live album with LZI really that bad?

2. There are no live tracks among the bonus material outside of the LZI bonus disc, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, no demos per se. It's all different studio versions, different mixes, and various stages of mixes in-progress. If you're interested in that window into the recording of this body of work, great. If not, that's fine too.

quicksrt and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  3. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

I was speaking in general. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to hear that stuff, but it's just something I'd listen to once or twice and that would be it, not worth the hefty price hike of most deluxe edition CD's.

Blue Note likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I will be getting single CDs because of beautiful mini lp package and mastering that sounds as good as diaments, maybe with slightly more punch.

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Coda to me is essential...... Owning tons of Zep boots a lot of the bonus stuff wasn't revelatory in the least. Coda's bonus track are kind of like a new studio album, at least to me.
    For a hardcore Zeppelin fan I think all the discs are must have....Coda is the best, unless you havn't heard a lot of early live stuff, which might mean Zep1 to some.

Off PG "In the morning" would be pretty essential, except a lot of us have had versions of it for a long time.

6. JayB

JayB Senior Member

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love the backing track-only mixes of songs like Battle Of Evermore, Song Remains The Same, Thank You...Black Dog has different guitar parts which come through on the alternate mix version..the alternate guitar break in Heartbreaker....and then there's Whole Lotta Love which is QUITE different...I live for this stuff but i can understand people not being thrilled with it for their own reasons.

8. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I bought all of the 2014 "deluxe" releases on CD essentially for the extra content. I pulled the trigger on all of them as I found them on sale on Amazon for about $12 each IIRC so I bought them. Sound quality is good and the extra content is decenti if your a LZ fan. I'm not sorry I bought them and I do list to them on a fairly regular basis.

9. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

1 has a great live concert, but edited with poor sound. 2 has some nice true alternates (Whole Lotta Love is closer to the original Muddy Waters You Need Love, Heartbreaker has a real different guitar part and Ramble On is a nice variation with a long ending) and a good new instrumental LaLa. 3 has 2 nice new tracks, instrumental Jennings Farm Blues and Key to the Highway/Trouble In Mind and a notably different Since I've Been Loving You. 4 and Houses of the Holy have some tracks minus vocals along with alternates that can't be distinguished from the released versions, not worth the expense IMHO. Physical Graffiti has great early versions of Sick again and In The Light with different lyrics. Presence and In Through the Out Door have alternates that can't be distinguished from the originals, no reason to get those either. CODA is the best with two discs of real alternate versions, some new things and Hey Hey What Can I Do. So for me it's 1,2,3, Physical Graffiti and CODA.

quicksrt and John Porcellino like this.
  10. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The bonus tracks are the only reason to have the 2014s.

Blue Note likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wouldn't say that at all; the first four albums in particular have never sounded better. Even the "in-the-red" portions of II sound great. HOTH and PG aren't *that* much of an improvement to my ears and these are my first copies of Presence and Coda so I can't compare (I didn't buy the ITTOD re-issue). But those first four...beautifully done, IMO.

xj32 and puelche like this.
  12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

CODA is the only album I haven't bought - it is definitely on my list. Ok pulled the trigger on the delux vinyl.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Except for Coda, the bonus discs were incredibly disappointing IMO. They're all available on streaming services for the curious, you really aren't going to listen to 90% of the tracks more than once.

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The recent deluxe versions, don't cost that much more than the non-deluxe versions.
    I figure that at least the bonus material are on separate discs, so why not buy those versions?

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There's a pretty good discussion of the companion discs here:
    The Myth of the "Useless" Led Zep Reissue Companion Discs

People hate on them a lot around here, and I admit they can be spotty, but there's some good stuff on them too. The Coda companion discs are borderline essential, the live stuff on Zep 1, and the alternate/bonus stuff on Zep III is also a fun listen. La La on Zep II is amazing and so is Ten Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod from the Presence disc.

Sprinkled throughout is a bunch of filler and both ITTOD and Physical Graffiti have pretty lacking bonus stuff, but overall I enjoy having alternate versions of these albums. And once in awhile the alternate track has better sonics than the normal ones.

I bought these deluxe remasters for a couple bucks more than the cost of the singles, so its hard for me to be too critical of them. Plus, I enjoy 'em. :shrug:

enro99, mrcond, puelche and 2 others like this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Only alt. song I listen to is: Everybody Makes It Through (In The Light) (Early Version / In Transit) From Physical Graffiti. (Disc 3)

17. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I like the live disc from Led Zeppelin I. I had already heard it from the unofficial recording that had been available before, and I was kind of hoping the official one would sound better, but it was at least nice to have "Moby Dick," which was not available unofficially.

I don't know what there is left as far as studio stuff, but there's definitely some live stuff that should be made available. For me, the grail of this would be the '71 Japan tapes. Supposedly Page considered using them for a companion to How the West Was Won. These were multitracked, so I imagine, especially with today's technology, they would sound markedly better than the Paris '69 disc from LZ1.

Not to go too off topic, but if the Yardbirds '68 Anderson Theater box does come to fruition, one might be able to consider it a test run for a Japan '71 release. As many of us know, the Anderson Theater tapes have never sounded super great. My thought is if Page can remix them to the point that he thinks it's suitable for release, there's no way he wouldn't be able to do that for Japan '71, no matter how bad the tapes allegedly sound. Just thinking out loud here so don't take this as fact!

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

That's what I always figure as well. Even the stand-alone albums typically run $10-12 new (for a CD) or $18-25 for a sealed vinyl. The deluxe editions seem to be only modestly more expensive (depending on which store or seller you come across). If I remember right, I think I bought the deluxe CDs for II and III on the day the first three albums were released for like 13.99 or 14.99 each (I ended up picking up the debut a week or so later). But considering that you get a great-sounding remaster either way, Page is essentially throwing in a companion disc as a literal bonus. Well, just three more bucks anyway. Even if one only ends up liking a few of the alternate mixes, you are essentially being handed them at just a minimal additional cost.

The super deluxe boxes are really the only format that are exorbitant (by nature). They are truly "fan enamored" purchases that are definitely way more than what many listeners probably want. Or desire to spend. Of course I thought even those were worth every penny, but I'm probably far removed from practical or rational at this point when it comes to Zeppelin... :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    O Don Piano likes this.
  19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I really like the live bonus disc for I. I had never heard that show before, so maybe that helps.

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I don't think so. It doesn't sound that great, but I can look past that and enjoy an officially released 1969 live Zeppelin show.

I have heard some (but not all) of the bonus material, and even as a huge Led Zeppelin fan, the only titles I felt compelled to pick up so far have been the debut album & "Coda", although I
    Would like to eventually pick up "LED Zeppelin III" eventually, as well.

21. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I'd say yes, for the reasons stated above. Fairly cheap and very well done remasters. I already have the studio albums on LP so I bought the deluxe CDs for the companions. I'm very happy with them, they sound and look great IMO.

22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

The first ones I would recommend would be Zeppelin I for the live Paris show and Coda for the extra content. You get 2 extra discs with Coda which I thought was cool.

23. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I bought all the deluxe editions and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with the extra disk bonus contents. I found the bonus disks for Zep 3 and Coda to provide decent extra content. All the other deluxe editions mainly provided instrumentals and alternate mixes which I don't consider essential unless you are a hardcore fan. I would not recommend the bonus disc for Zep 1 because the recording of the live show was of poor quality.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    rockclassics likes this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

On vinyl the quality is awesome - I'm very pleased with it and it doesn't even register as a poor quality record.

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I understand the first and Coda are the ones to get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.