Television settings...(settings as in "where the shows are set")*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmasters9, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are some of your favorite settings from television history (settings as in where the shows are set)?

Some of mine:

From comedies:
    --The Detectives' Squad Room at the 12th Precinct in NYC (Barney Miller, ABC 1975-82)

--Barney's office within that Detectives' Squad Room ("Capt. B. Miller" on the door)

--Dr. Bob Hartley's office in Chicago ("Robert Hartley, Ph.D, Psychologist" on the door); The Bob Newhart Show on CBS, 1972-78

From dramas and other shows:

--Anthony Petrocelli's law office (Petrocelli w/Barry Newman, 1974-76 on NBC)

--Perry Mason's law office (Perry Mason w/the late, great Raymond Burr, 1957-66 on CBS)

--M Squad offices (M Squad, 1957-60 NBC police series w/the late Lee Marvin)

--Hart mansion (Hart to Hart w/Robert Wagner, Stefanie Powers, and Lionel Stander, 1979-84 on ABC)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I like the setting of Tom Arnold's post-Roseanne sitcom: the Writer's Room of the show Arnold's character hosts. The two main characters are writers, trying to negotiate love-at-first-site...as well as dodge the rain of clueless lane-changing and last-minute rewrites that Arnold's character seems to drop like bolts from the sky on a whim. "Alan Brady" on The Dick Van Dyke Show could have used more of this disruptive influence on those workplace-comedy characters.

I can't help think Kellyanne Conway would have a lot of empathy for the dynamics of this short-lived show.

3. Dillydipper

Also clever: unspecified (and occasionally-morphing) true setting of the Kristin Bell/Ted Danson show, The Good Place. Bonus points because...the setting actually changes location through revelations brought out in the script!

Like Lost, only, y'know...they still have a chance to not BLOW this one!

4. bmasters9

Thanks for the responses! Two more of mine: the USS Enterprise on original-recipe NBC Star Trek from 1966-69, and the Hotel Carlton on Have Gun, Will Travel on CBS from 1957-63.

5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

WKRP In Cincinnati- Les Nessmann's "office". :D

....actually the entire floor of the Flynn building.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If I had to pick one set, it would be the entire White House set for The West Wing, which I thought was incredibly cool. Even more so when you find out that it was spread out over two stages at Warner Bros., so sometimes when they were in the middle of a conversation and turned a corner, when there was a cut the hallway actually continued in a different stage about 200 feet away. Those who have been to the "real" West Wing in Washington say the one on TV is a lot cleaner, less run-down, and much more impressive.

[​IMG]

7. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The Adam West bat cave.
    The entry to the mansion in Dark Shadows.

MikaelaArsenault, Culpa and bmasters9 like this.
  8. bmasters9

I'll say about the Bat Cave on 60s ABC Batman, especially since I've been seeing it on DVD with incredible picture quality!

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  9. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Bigger budget.

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Cheers - The most iconic TV set IMO.

Frasier - I would love to live in that apartment. (Nitpick: placing the bathroom right next to the front door...huh?)

The Brady Bunch - Another place I'd love to live in. (Just don't throw basketballs inside!).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The library. Hanging out with Giles just seemed like a comfortable retreat, when you're dealing with vampires and demons.

11. Dillydipper

Oh I'm sure Martin must've had some sort of facility mere steps from his bedroom. And, knowing how Fraz' would react to Dad carrying a bag of terrier guano all the way back to dump in a commode, I'm willing to bet that front loo earned its' keep.

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I liked Taxi!

And the UK Being Human as it was filmed round the corner from me at the time, I'd walk past the house often.

13. bmasters9

One more of mine: the St. Gregory in San Francisco as it was on Hotel from 1983-88 on ABC (in the book on which Hotel was based, the St. Gregory was in New Orleans)

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The Longbranch Saloon[Gunsmoke]...Starship Enterprise[the bridge-original series]...Mannix office...Kitchen[The Cosby Show]...The Ponderosa[Bonanza].

15. bmasters9

Five-O HQ at the Iolani Palace in Honolulu (original-recipe Five-O, 1968-80 on CBS)

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Magnum PI...Robin Masters estate....my all time favorite.

The Bunkers living room on All in the Family. Get out.of the chair Meathead.

Leave it to Beavers house...the second one.

Jim Rockford trailer on the beach.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Munsters house of course!

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Doctor Who - The TARDIS Console Room (in all its forms).

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The Monkees' beach house seemed like a cool place.

Main Mission (from the first season of Space:1999) was also an impressive set.

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Colombo's car.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think a place that size in Venice Beach today would be about $8000/month. :eek:

This is kind of like the problem with the "Friends" apartment in NYC.

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

Wisteria lane!

23. Michael

I can't even imagine that!

24. Michael

yea, the BR is wonderful as well...

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind working at the first Sterling Cooper office on Mad Men. The Brady Bunch house looks like a cozy place to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.