Should I get the Zeppelin 2014 Deluxe CDs just for the extra content?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it all boils down to how much you love the band or just a completest...

2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

They are the only ones I considered getting. I wanted a complete live show from 69, but given the fiddling about that Page is notorious for, when it comes to "fixing" live recordings, I might have been better off with the original boot. I'm curious to hear the Bombay Orchestra tracks but not enough to cough up for the 3CD edition as I suspect they just aren't very good and I won't listen to them again.

razerx likes this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Come on now, not even that alternate-vocal "Royal Orleans"?? :laugh:

Mark J likes this.
  4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

For your Life actually has a completely different guitar solo.

Blue Note likes this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think the remastering is great as well

xj32 likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't have the deluxe LZI. Not a big fan of their live stuff.

7. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Know what you're saying, though I think that draawwwn out soloing got worse after they were big.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, the studio albums are perfect.

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

10. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Presence has two new songs. 10 Ribs & all and someone else sings Royal Orleans so that makes Presence a must have.

Mark J likes this.
  11. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

No? No what?

12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

You mean you don't already own them? Unbelievable!!!!!

The Hud likes this.
  13. CODA and III give you some solid bonus material. They are the only 2 I bought for the bonus content. I did download much of the bonus tracks from the other disks, but most are not very interesting.

Mr Class & Quality? likes this.
  14. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

save your money, buy some music you DONT have.

8 extra alternate mixes, there the same, they just want your money, don't give it away. the following year another zip set will be out with an amazing 3 extra demo tracks, ........the year after that, they will release the same box set, with a sticker, keychain, and 2 more demo tracks.
    don't be a sheep to the commercial music industry. :)

15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Coda is the best of the companions, ITTOD is the worst, III is great as is HOTH also the fourth album and Presence, II and PG are OK, I is poor..

16. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

If you don't have a turntable, stick with the original Atlantic CD's (#19126-2 to 19130-2 for the first five albums, and so on).

17. Ben L

Ben L Forum Resident

Definitely prefer the concise studio version - for me, there's nothing more dispiriting than rambling, overblown, 20 minute versions of Dazed and Confused or Whole Lotta Love. Admittedly, extemporisation was all the rage in the 70s but I really don't have the attention span to enjoy noodling.

18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I was not interested in the alternate mixes but did gather up all the unreleased songs. Some of those were quite interesting.

19. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for a vinyl mastering of How the West Was Won. I have the CD, and didn't bother getting the DVD-A, as I never like the format. I think the only DVD-A that I own that plays when you just stick it into the player is the Beatles Love.

20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I'm going to give some love to In Through The Outdoor bonus disc. Yeah it's not that much different and for some unexplicable reason Page left off the extended outro from All My Love, one of the biggest crimes in my view over all the bonus discs, but the the rough mixes seem much more "heavy" for lack of a better word and for me anyway has made ITTOD a much more enjoyable listen.

xj32 likes this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I know a lot of people here are partial to the original 80's CDs, and there were some great blind tests going on in this board, however I must say I think the remastering was done fairly tastefully. I prefer all of the remasters to the original CDs save for Houses of The Holy but even then I love the improved clarity to it. To me they are my go-to digital masterings so I would recommend the CDs for the overall content

Roberto899 likes this.
  22. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Get LZ2/3 and Coda.

The other DE are useless.

23. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I wasn't really impressed, so I only bought the deluxe editions of "Coda" and III.

24. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

With the exception of the live disc with "Led Zeppelin I" and some of the tracks off of "Coda", I don't think the bonus discs are that interesting. And I'm a HUGE Zep fanatic. Especially the different mixes, which to me a lot of them just sounded like you were listening to the tracks you know on friend's system that is EQ'd differently from yours... I'm not sure WHAT they could have put on, but many of these extra tracks were snoozers...

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The first album with the live disc is great and I happen to love the alternate mix of "Stairway To Heaven" on IV. The rest seem less interesting. I don't have Coda, but that seems to be a favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.