Artists who've released everything in their vaults

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colinjpush, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing Thread Starter

I wonder, and correct me if there's already been a post about this (and feel free to direct that post here), but are there any artists who've run their vaults completely dry with releasing all available rarities? I know many are very close to being bone dry (Led Zeppelin, Beatles) some whose vaults are relatively untouched, not counting bootlegs, but with stuff that exists and has never been released or reissued (Rolling Stones, Elton John), some who have a seemingly endless vault (Hendrix, Prince, Zappa, Dylan) and some who keep milking their "rarities" (at one time) over and over and over again (Doors, Who). My focus is on the latter group. Are there any that you know of that have released almost everything or pretty darn close or literally have nothing left in their vaults? I'd be curious to know. It's bound to happen eventually, sorry to say, but are there any who have already experienced this?

RangerXT likes this.
  2. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

How would we know?

(I don't believe Zep is close to dry. Page just doesn't want to share.)

RangerXT, Roberto899, Jimijam and 4 others like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

According to the press release, my precious RESIDENTS are about to unleash THIER vaults, too!
    Announcing ‘The Residents….. pREServed?!’

A brand new Residents reissue series digging deeper than anybody dared dig before…… 2CD sets showcasing the albums, singles, b-sides, related odds and ends, live evolutions, outtakes, never-before-heard material and anything else that puts itself in our path. Beginning at the beginning, with ‘Meet The Residents’ in late 2017…..

"Following the recent acquisition of over one hundred boxes packed full of their own, long-forgotten pasts, The Residents have been spending their summer exhuming their own archive. In the process, countless reels of tape containing long-forgotten and unreleased artefacts The Residents consider worthy of preservation have come to light and, as we speak, are being treated to ancient analogue restoration processes in the depths of Inuit country. What they contain, nobody really knows, but if the handwritten notes and semi-legible scrawls accompanying each tape are to be believed, treasures abound."

Watch this space and bug your local Rez retailer.

[​IMG]

4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Bird himself had nothing to do with it, and probably wouldn't have dug it, but there can't be much Charlie Parker left unissued at this point, I mean besides the stuff with Brownie that Clifford's widow supposedly had...

AlienRendel and DTK like this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Robert Johnson

stef1205, keef00, jaxpads and 14 others like this.
  6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

If ever there was an artist whose "vault" was drained dry it's Buddy Holly.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Devil made 'im do it. ;)

jaxpads likes this.
  8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Lol..., more than The Beach Boys?

Erik B. likes this.
  9. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

We must be pretty close with Sandy Denny. We've had three boxed sets of her work (4LP, 5CD and the gargantuan 19CD effort), at least two boxed sets from Fairport Convention and a Fotheringay box. Add in "Live At The BBC" boxes for both herself and Fairport, double-CD deluxe editions of almost every album she made, several live retrospective albums and even a release of an early rehearsal at friends' premises and the well must be just about dry.

10. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

not even close; there are so many good bootlegs that haven't been released officially

11. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Let's see if The Band ever releases "Even If It's a Pig" before yet another icon passes.

HominyRhodes, Fullbug and RockRoom like this.
  12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Floyd has to be reaching that point.

RangerXT and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Al Capone...what a treasure trove!

14. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

ABBA claim there is nothing else.

15. I have three words for Benny and Björn:

Just Like That

Once they've finally released this song (in its full, unedited form), I genuinely don't care what they do with the rest of the ABBA vault...

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And so many things that have never been heard, save for a few people.

mbrownp1, MRamble, supermd and 2 others like this.
  17. From the "Brian's Back" period alone, I can think of at least five potential archival packages that could still be released, including the New Album assembly of late 1976, Adult Child, a collection of the Love You piano demos, the best of their '76-7 era concerts and even the standalone aborted '77 Christmas LP, which has already seen the light of day as part of the Ultimate Christmas set. Also, there's an absolute wealth of outtakes from the Sunflower and Surf's Up sessions, plus Dennis Wilson's first attempt at a solo project, also recorded during the early 1970s. Throw in Brian's infamous Sweet Insanity or the tracks he recorded with Andy Paley in the mid '90s, and there's still a lot of potential in the BRI vaults. Roll on next year's somewhat inevitable copyright extension collection...

18. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Is this definitely in its entirety? Why is it locked away?

19. Just Like That definitely exists in several completed mixes, but was vetoed off the Undeleted medley in favour of a heavily edited version (specifically the saxophone variation) due to B&B wanting the later reworking by Gemini to stand as the finished track. *sigh*

bleachershane likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

What do you mean by this? You say the Beatles are almost bone-dry, yet there are many, many takes that have of course never been released.

22. I'd still love to see Carnival Of Light and Revolution (Take 20) released together on a single for Record Store Day, or maybe these could form the majority of an album along with the similarly mythical full-length jam version of Helter Skelter? Whatever the case, Apple's vault has plenty left, and it's a shame we'll probably never get to hear a fraction of its treasures - especially at the glacial rate we currently receive new products! There's a whole box of potential that could be dedicated to just the Get Back/Let It Be sessions, for example...

RangerXT, Chrome_Head and warewolf95 like this.
  23. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Not really. There is still a nice pile of early stuff that they can't be bothered with finding/obtaining/releasing, and some of what they have released was taken from bootlegs instead of properly researched.

RangerXT and Laservampire like this.
  24. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

There are also some full versions of the other snippets from the "ABBA UNDELETED" medley. I like most of them, maybe all, and at least five or six of them could be released. I have heard unofficial releases of "JUST A NOTION" and "GIVIN´ A LITTLE BIT MORE", "RED RUBBER BALL/UNDER MY SUN", "BURNING BRIDGES", "RICKY ROCK´N´ROLLER", "HERE COMES REUBEN JAMES", "CRYIN´ OVER YOU" - just to mention a few. I would love to have these on CD!

(Or SACD. One can dream, can´t one?)

Just to whet our appetites: (Yes, I know that not all of these are full recordings. But I do think some of them are.)
    List of unreleased songs recorded by ABBA - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    bob60, Pizza, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. Though there was an album of Verve outtakes released just last year.

John Coltrane too. There must be very few unreleased studio recordings in the vault by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.