Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Very interesting story about another era.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

One of my favorite scenes of the original series is the episode where Spock is playing a traditional Vulcan instrument and Uhura is singing along!

Stu02, dzhason and Tribute like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My dad was drafted but rejected due to flat feet. Most of the guys in his group did not make it back home. It does feel a bit like the lottery that I'm even here.

vanhooserd and jlrchrds like this.
  4. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

I have a ton of the mosaic sets. I'm kind of a completist, but honestly with the mosaic sets it's more about the sound quality and the books. My Lord I love those books. Those books are like A treasure trove of lost lore. I realize you can buy most of them from Mosaic for $20. I've ordered a few of them, without having the CD collections or LPs. That might seem weird but to me they are just fantastic

Lonson likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And there were hundreds of turns of chance (or fate) in each of our parents' lives that led to us posting on this forum. My Mom sometimes talks about the World War II mixer dance when her employer brought 100 young ladies to a Navy dance. She told her girlfriend, "I'll take the dark-haired one". He became my Dad.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"My Brother the Wind Vol. 1" the new, expanded, reissue on Cosmic Myth out this week.

I was away from home all day yesterday traveling to and from and visiting one of my sister-in-laws in Narwalk, OH and this package was left on my porch by UPS before a heavy downpour of rain occurred. Though the digipak was sealed. . . it was soaked and falling apart. Even the underside of the cd was soaked. So I ordered a new copy and am listening to the CD but can't read the notes or discographic info.

This is very different from Vol. 2 which I have on Evidence. . .very free jazz and freaky Moog. Sound is very good, which is what I expect going forward with these new reissues from the Sun Ra archives.

dzhason and ZenMango like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just dug this box out of storage. Forgot I had this love the extras and the blue vinyl sounds great.

Kind of Blue 50th Anniversary
    Collector's Edition
    Audio CD | LP (12" album, 33 rpm), Extra Tracks, Box Set

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

NP: Kenny Dorham - Matador

Liberty Japan 2010 CD. I really dig this title even more with every listen. The Dorham / McLean horn combo is a great match.

[​IMG]

9. Lonson

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What era is that one? I missed it. Japan?

11. Lonson

Japan, 1982. Also on cd from Japan.

Helen Merrill - Affinity

Right now
    [​IMG]

12. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

There is a point about 26-27 minutes into "Dark Star" on Dick's Picks 36 where the spirit of electric Miles becomes almost incarnate -- one could be forgiven for assuming Chick Corea had come and kicked Keith off the keyboard stool. A great moment.

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Loudon Wainwright IIISo Damn Happy — Live (Sanctuary Records)
    — With Van Dyke Parks, Richard Thompson, Martha Wainwright, David Mansfield, a.o.; recorded live at Largo in West Hollywood, CA & Mystic Theater, Petaluma, CA in 2002.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and Lonson like this.
  14. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

NP: RVG 1999 CD of this 1965 title - Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Though I'm more partial to Morgan / Shorter dates, this is another great horn match: Morgan / Henderson.

[​IMG]

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Kirk Knuffke & Jesse StackenMockingbird: The Music Of Thelonious Monk & Duke Ellington (Steeplechase Records)
    — trumpet & piano duets; recorded live at Bloomingdale School of Music, NYC.

[​IMG]

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

One of the things I find interesting about this thread is the patterns I see in it. For instance I find most of us will sometimes get lost in an artist perhaps not even fully aware of it such as Lonson's charming inability to move on from his current Merrill fix , and it's all here to see. ( I relate to this well as this is generally how I listen to music) Or how like a flock of sheep one topic leads to a flurry of posts on a topic but then the topic gets dissected and turned over in a multitude of perspectives.
    Pardon my indulgence here but I've been mulling over why this thread is more interesting then most others for me.

Blue Note, Aura, JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

So speaking of getting lost in an artist. I shamefully only started really listening to Lester Young a few years ago , yes really... I'm sorry :hide:
    For me he is All consuming. His understated passion just wallops you but unexpectedly ( as if from behind ) over and over again. No showboating , just the pain of living put in front of you in a simple 'matter of fact it's like this' kind of way.
    I always admire restraint in any form of art. I remember seeing a play when I was young -The Crusible- wherein the husband of the persecuted woman barely said a word or moved his body yet he embodied rage in a frightening way ... somehow... it was all so subtle yet so real. Like Lester.
    What started out for me as an occasional listen has turned into a - I can't get him off the stereo - habit
    NP this
    [​IMG]

rxcory, markp, ZenMango and 2 others like this.
  18. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    NP. I put this on again after "Virgo" came up on my Ipod while I was out for a run. I love Shorter, and this is one of my favorites. Earlier, I received a shipment in the mail and enjoyed this one:
    [​IMG]
    I'd never heard this album before, but I've been on a bit of a Grant Green run lately and wanted to hear him with Larry Young since Unity is a favorite of mine. I was not disappointed. I really like the relaxed vibe of this album and the sympathetic interplay of the band members (and I always love Bobby Hutcherson). This one will be getting a lot of play. I just ordered Talkin' About, so look forward to hearing that one too.

rxcory, Aura, alankin1 and 6 others like this.
  19. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I was of the same attitude, but talked myself into getting it. I love Miles Smiles, so couldn't resist. It's interesting hearing the tunes evolve and learning how the band interacted. I loved hearing Miles struggle with "Freedom Jazz Dance," and the other guys encouraging him to keep at it.

rxcory, Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

A local radio station that has a great blues and jazz show on Saturdays was celebrating Monk's 100th birthday that's coming up later this year . Thought I would join them afterwards with the Monk and Trane Riverside sessions. As much as I know this music even I tend to take it for granted and it's nicer to get reminded again how great the Monk's Music record was.

[​IMG]

rxcory, alankin1, Lonson and 4 others like this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    [​IMG]
    Highlighted by the final meeting of Prez and Billie.

rxcory, markp, alankin1 and 7 others like this.
  22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Talkin' About J.C is a barn burner on Takin' About, you should enjoy that one. Check out Larry Young's Into Something with Sam Rivers and Grant Green if you don't have it yet.

rxcory, Aura, alamo54us and 3 others like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't know if I memtioned it already but I'm not a big fan of Miles' late period albums but that live album made me rethink my position. It also opened my eyes to Kenny Garrett.

Edit: forgot, NP Charles Tolliver - Music Inc - Live At Slugs Volume II (Strata East) black and white stereo label.

Soulpope, David Ellis and dzhason like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That must have ben some serious rain! What a drag.

dzhason likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Art Taylor - AT's Delight (Blue Note) mono 47W 63rd pressing.
    Killer band.

rxcory, David Ellis and vanhooserd like this.