The Weakest Link- John Lennon, IMAGINE-Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

Wayyyy behind 'Mind Games'

applebonkerz and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

At least it isn't a Turtles album. Each round would have to be 1 week for them.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

1. How?
    2. Oh Yoko!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Used to be a fan of "How Do You Sleep"... just seems a bit misguided and unfair to me now.

"Dear Boy" and "Too Many People" were just little digs at John and Yoko... "How Do You Sleep" was bitchy.

Paulwalrus, Bern and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Looks like I'll have to keep voting for the title track right to the last round.

Anyway, the world, she is tough, and "How" is next go.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Oh Yoko! is wonderful.

Doubt it would rejected like this if John was singing Oh Cynthia.

andybeau and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

How?
    How can I vote for another song when this one is clearly the weakest? Dum dum, dum dum, duuuuuum.... :laugh:

It's sort of like half a song punctuated by muzak-like strings. Although Lennon was usually pretty good about addressing stuff he was concerned about in his music, he seems to go nowhere with this. How can he go forward when he doesn't know where to turn? Well, what issue is he talking about exactly? Add to that his lackluster voice in this, and it's almost like he's talking in his sleep about someone else's parking ticket. Oh noooooo... "I'm concerned I guess but I don't know if I'm sure about what exactly or if I should even be bothered." Dum dum, dum dum, duuuum....

I'd rate this and POB probably as Lennon's top two solo albums. Sadly there was not a lot as he took about half of the 1970s off to be a dad and do other stuff, and the remainder of his 70s solo stuff was hit and miss.

Bern and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The most interesting thing for me so far this WL is how much worse "How Do You Sleep?" is doing than 10 years ago. It's not even all that safe so far this round!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

:laugh:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I can't stand "How." The tempo just drags, and I find the song boring. The strings make it sound even more flaccid and I find the self-pitying lyrics to be whiny.

I like everything else on this album, so it will be hard to pick the next worst song.

I think the Imagine album is John's second best, but a distant runner-up to POB.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Oh Yoko/How Do You Sleep....

Good album. One of his better ones.
    Still well behind POB.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

alas, it was how he felt, and quite possibly it was the whole truth.

andybeau and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Oh Yoko and Crippled.
    I used to rank it #2 behind, POB. Now I would rather hear Mind Games, Walls and Bridges and Double Fantasy.

Skywheel and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

The truth... about how he felt you mean. Bitter and resentful.

I don't think I give him even that much credit about it though.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bitter and resentful....or....at peace with his existance

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

How now!

"How?" and "How Do You Sleep?" to go.

DQ: Middle of the pack. I never play the album but do like most of the songs. (Guess I just don't want to volunteer to hear "Imagine" the song for the millionth time.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Brian Kelly and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Easy first choice: the abysmal "How Do You Sleep". Childish and not very clever lyrics (sounds like something a sulky middle school kid would write) with music that drags and John doesn't even sing it well. George's slide solo is the only good thing about this piece of crap.
    I went with "How" as my 2nd choice because all of the other songs are excellent and "How" is merely "pretty good".

DQ: Probably #3 among John's solo work. IMAGINE is tough to rate because it has 6 songs I love (Imagine, Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, Crippled Inside, Oh My Love, Oh Yoko) and 2 I like pretty well (How, It's So Hard), but then contains two I really dislike (Soldier and How Do You Sleep). I now always skip How Do You Sleep because it just depresses me so much. PLASTIC ONO BAND does not have as many songs I love, but is more consistent so I have to rate it ahead of IMAGINE. I also really like John's songs on DOUBLE FANTASY (and a few of Yoko's are OK so I would probably put that ahead of IMAGINE as well. I'd give IMAGINE a slight edge over MILK AND HONEY and a slightly bigger edge over MIND GAMES.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Dear Boy wasn't even about John, it was about Linda's ex. Too Many People is marginally about John but really about exactly what it sounds like. "Too much noise," from everyone.

I say bye to Imagine and How?

Paulwalrus and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Crippled Inside.

Paulwalrus, JDeanB and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That's why I said Too Many People was a little dig. Regardless John seemed to think both songs were aimed at him even if they weren't.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I voted off "How?" and "Oh My Love". Both introspective numbers that are, IMO, pleasant enough, but don't offer particularly strong insights.

DQ: I'm not much for ranking albums. There's something to appreciate (for me) on all of them.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I took 'Gimme Some Truth' here. It's not a bad song, it even has some history in the last days of the Beatles, but in the Imagine album I didn't like 'Soldier' and this one so much.
    Btw, 'How' or 'Jealous Guy' should win the last round. The most beautiful tracks John ever wrote.
    DQ: Way up high in the same range as John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Both are some of my favorite John albums.

There's a fictional album I compiled together a long time ago: Lennon Bermuda, which contains only John's tracks from these two albums. Can agree it all sound good together in that way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Zoot Marimba and Wiserforthetime like this.
  23. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Oh Yoko, How are you still here. :shake:

As the years pass I think less and less of Lennon's solo albums. All of them don't have more than a couple songs each that give me any listening pleasure. George's instrumental contributions are the only thing that still attract me to the Imagine album at all. POB, Imagine, W&B, DF have nothing included on my regular Spotify playlist, actually only Mind Games and RnR do. I'll rate it third or fourth place.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I voted for Crippled Inside. The song is great but it's between that one and Oh Yoko! and I think Oh Yoko is slightly better.

I can't believe there are so many votes for How. I love that song.

Lennon's best album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I would have thought that Imagine would have zero votes or close to it.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.