Beatles: Is the 2009 Special-Edition USB Drive Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It certainly won't sound worse than the CD versions and it is a really spiffy object, so if the price is reasonable, go for it.

Not to mention, the MP3 ripping is already done for you... :)

Easy to make a backup copy too if that matters to you.

2. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

To my old ears they both sound the same. I'm not going to sell the USB however.

3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Mind you, spectral analysis of the QE waveform was done using Blackman-Harris window with size 32768.

The QE (or null-test delta) waveform audio stats are as follows:

Code:
    The Beatles - Beatles For Sale [2009 Remaster] (24/44)

Peaks
    =====

Peak Table
    ==========
     1|  0.1

Full Statistics
    ===============
     #|Chan|Peak %|  Peak dB|AvgRms dB|TotRms dB|MinRms dB|MaxRms dB| MinSample| MaxSample| DCOffset
    --+----+------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+----------+----------+---------
     1|   1|   0.1| -64.0872| -74.5640| -74.5590| -75.8932| -73.4272|-0.0006039| 0.0006247|   0.0000
      |   2|   0.1| -63.9523| -74.6818| -74.6765| -76.1179| -73.4230|-0.0006316| 0.0006344|   0.0000

0 dBFS: Sine
    RMS Window Size: 50 milliseconds

It's worth mentioning that 2009 RBCD versions of louder tracks feature a very slight additional limiting applied compared to their 24/44 USB counterparts, f.e. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby null-test delta (zoom=128) looks like that:

[​IMG]

So having a 24/44 USB versions gives a tad of an advantage over RBCD for louder material.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Daytripn and Stephen J like this.
  4. 2141

2141 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, Dinstun! So, I'll take the challenge. After listening to both, I think sample "a" is the USB version. Can you let us know?

5. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

I have the usb stick and think it is well worth the price. It is the best sounding digital copy that i have. Note that i have only bought one of the 2009 cd to compare it to. Since it , to me, sounded better than the cd , i did not buy any more of the cds.

Lonevej likes this.
  6. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Well-Known Member

For me also the USB stick is a noticeably better sound than the equivalent CDs. I always get this same reaction when I do a back to back demo to friends. Both my source players are fairly high end if that is a factor.

Heckto35, Lonevej and Larry Geller like this.
  7. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

BTW, I did conduct an honest ABX test & failed to reliably discern the difference... ;)

Daytripn, ispace, Tommy SB and 3 others like this.
  8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Yes, that's correct. Did it sound better?

9. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

In my opinion - You would be better served acquiring the Mono Beatles box set if you don't have it.
    That's the finest version of most of those albums you'll ever hear.

Daytripn and pantofis like this.
  10. 2141

That's great! Yes, I thought it did sound noticeably better. It sounds clearer and the individual parts seemed more defined. It makes me think the USB is superior to the CDs, by a decent margin. I might just have to find one to buy. :agree: Thanks for providing those example files!

Heckto35, marklamb and Lonevej like this.
  11. 2141

I already own the mono box set. Yes, I love it, but would like the very best in stereo as well.

Heckto35 likes this.
  12. stax o' wax

Have you considered Japanese vinyl pressings?

Daytripn likes this.
  13. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Check Discogs...I was able to score (2) of the USB last November. It really does sound better! Plus it is really cool and quite heavy. Word of caution be very careful when removing the "stem" of the Apple which is connected to the USB. It is very delicate. I only wish they had done the same USB with the Mono/Beatles....they could have used a Red Apple. If you can get one go for it!

Lonevej and gregorya like this.
  14. 2141

Do you think the Japanese vinyl sounds better than the USB?

15. 2141

Yes, I wish the mono was included in the same stick! But even as is it seems pretty sweet. Thanks for the good advice!

16. stax o' wax

Absolutely.
    There are several Japanese series released over the years.
    Most have been spectacular.

If I want the last word in a audiophile experience with my (stereo) Beatles albums they are my go to.
    The mono vinyl box set is a joy as well.

17. 2141

Good to know. I'm still deciding what to do. Price is also a consideration. I'm not sure what's a good price for USB or the Japanese vinyl you're referring to, but if one is a lot more than the other, that could sway me as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Oh gawd, no. Great pressing quality, sure, but lousy mastering on most of the ones I've heard.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Perfect.

HotHere likes this.
  20. 2141

I'm not sure I understand "how you do it." Can someone please explain. Thanks!

21. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

I also believe the USB sounds better than the CDs. HavenĀ“t done a blind comparison...no audiophile friends

Lonevej likes this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My response exactly !

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

IIRC from another thread, the USB was a little louder than the CDs, and that can also be deceiving to give the impression that they sound better or clearer. Just a difference of 16/24 bits shouldn't be noticeable given you listen to them in the same device and conditions.

Daytripn likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just be glad they didn't name it Pear Records...that thang would've popped off if ya just looked at it!

Heckto35 likes this.
  25. 2141

Give those two samples posted earlier in the thread a listen and judge for yourself. I didn't notice any volume difference, but it really does sound better, imo. Check for yourself. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.