Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Here's an interesting overview of some of the travels that have taken place so far in season 7.

Game of Thrones' Confusing Geography Explained

Gray: Jon Snow travels to Dragonstone from Winterfell via White Harbor in a negligible time gap between epsiodes.

Blue: Arya spends two episodes going from The Twins to the Crossroads (short arrow), then the same time going from the Crossroads to Winterfell (long arrow).

Brown: The Unsullied sailed from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock.

Green: At the same time as Euron sailed a similar, path-crossing route from King’s Landing, (both in seemingly no time at all).

Red: During the same period the Lannisters evacuate and Jaime attacks Highgarden.

Yellow: Dany somehow ferries hordes of Dothraki from Dragonstone to Tumbleton (despite any landing point putting her near King’s Landing) and attacks Jaime on his return.

[​IMG]

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I agree. Her innocent self is long gone now and she definitely does not trust the man. Only reason he hasn't been offed yet is because of the need for the Vale army.

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

If the Vale army is sworn to the King in the North, a more ruthless Sansa would just kill off Littlefinger and have his army anyway.

There's a reason he's still around. He's not done doing sneaky Littlefinger things. My guess is he makes it awfully close to the last episode.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I would also remind everyone at in the book series the distance between Winterfell (The Stark's castle) and King's Landing (the capital city) is written as 10,000 leagues (or about 35,000 miles). A distance that people traveling on horseback can complete in about a week.

And 'The Wall' is 700 vertical feet, yet somehow they engage in arrow- battles with combatants on the ground.

I believe GRRM just has a thing about distancez

5. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The Vale army might be sworn to House Stark (and thus Warden/King in the North), but if someone from House Stark would execute their Lord of the Vale then those knights do not automatically swear their allegiance to their new ruler. See also the situation with Robb in Season 3. When he executed some lords (Karstarks?) after they'd killed some Lannister prisoners (kids even, including one who would reincarnate as Tommen :) ) the troops of those lords left Robb's alliance. Loyalty only goes so far.

6. Chris from Chicago

Perhaps. However... (and forgive me if my details are fuzzy) the Vale was ruled by House Arryn. Jon and Lysa. Jon was killed, leaving crazy Lysa. Whom Littlefinger shacked up with. Littlefinger pushed her out the moon door. Yet the Vale army remains loyal to him.

7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

35,000 miles in a week? Nah.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I get the impression from lurking around on discussion sites about the books that Martin is notoriously sloppy about distances. The most plausible estimates I've heard people give based on the few somewhat consistent and plausible distances mentioned in the books are a lot smaller than those given by SquishySounds above. Martin has apparently said that the wall is 100 leagues long and that one league is 3 miles. So, looking at the maps that people have made, it looks like Winterfell is something like 600 miles from the wall and King's Landing is something like 1200 miles from Winterfell. That seems manageable without stretching credulity too much.

L.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    tommy-thewho and GodShifter like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

They're loyal to him (for the time being) as he married Lysa, didn't he? Being a man and properly married to their lord (lordess?), they follow him. As someone above said, I don't think they would feel much fealty to Sansa if they knew she killed Baelish just to have control of their army. If he died not under suspicious circumstances, then maybe. We don't really know much about the politics and players there. Lysa has a little wimp of a son who should be old enough to rule by now, if he had any ambition and a head for it. Is there someone else who The Vale respects and would follow if they asserted themself?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That's a damn big continent then, since the circumference of the earth at the equator is only 24,874 miles...

If horses can go around the earth almost one and a half times in a week, those are some mighty fast steeds!

psubliminal likes this.
  11. misterdecibel

12. agentalbert

I think Melisandra has traveled the farthest, coming from Ashai, which is off the map to the east of Qarth, if I read correctly. She's maybe got the greatest distance between where she started and where she is, but as Daenerys has gone far east and come back, she might have racked up more total miles. Then again, Euron did the same.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think Tyrion's logging some frequent flyer miles also!;)

14. Chris from Chicago

Okay. If they actually married (an important detail I evidently forgot) then that would change my argument completely.

15. Chris from Chicago

And my two cents...i have no problem with great distances traveled in relatively short time periods.

In a show featuring people dying and getting resurrected, dragons, giants, zombie armies and large ice monsters coming from the top of the world to attack... everybody...i think a little logistical off-ness is completely overlookable.

EwaWoowa, GodShifter and Lonson like this.
  16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is something from the novels that the series has altered and glossed over. The political machinations that gave Baelish authority in the Vale are complicated, and the published novels have not even finished telling that story. The series has simplified them as part of the alterations to the plot that put Sansa at Winterfell earlier in Jeyne Poole's place marrying Ramsay Bolton etc.. At this point in the series, I think, we're simply meant to understand that Baelish can't simply be disposed of without undermining the support of the Vale, which not only has an army, but other key resources.

L.

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree that it's not something worth fussing about, but I don't think it's something you can put in the same basket with the supernatural elements of the story. The time taken to travel, even if the distances are sometimes inconsistently described, is convincing enough in the novels, as it was in the early seasons of the series. In recent seasons, however, the feeling that things are happening too quickly given the distances and the natural logistics is the product of the shorthand, big-moment-to-big-moment style of storytelling they're now using. It has nothing to do with the the fact that we're in a fictional universe that includes dragons and ice zombies.

L.

Bender Rodriguez and agentalbert like this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

I agree with this. The showrunners could show Euron and Jon sailing on the high seas for weeks or months on end getting to where they need to be... but it sure would slow down the momentum of the show.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"Being a man and properly married to their Lady, they follow him."

20. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

The average speed of a horse is around 25 mph and I'm guessing less over that distance unless you ride the horse to death. In which case it would take just about 60 days to reach the other end assuming they never stop riding and realistically about 3 months if they want any horses left. It takes a week to drive 1/10 of that distance on the interstate without really stopping.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

More importantly, Robin follows him...
    Littlefinger's got him wrapped around his finger.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Actually the show did a pretty good job inferring that Baelish's hold on the Vale is a matter of his incessant scheming and complicated political machinations. But the underlying fact is that it all could be undone in one stroke. And that is by exposing Baelish's murder of Lysa. Sansa has the power and I would say the moral obligation to expose this, but she won't. And the longer she doesn't, the more entrenched Baelish can become by consolidating his power and moving on to his next scheme.

23. misterdecibel

Robyn is the Lord of the Vale, isn't Baelish just his adviser? Didn't Baelish have to get Robyn's permission to take their army to Winterfell to save his cousin Sansa?

24. agentalbert

Yeah, I guess that's right. Robin is the official "Lord of The Vale" and Baelish is the acting lord as his stepfather. I suppose as long as Baelish keeps Robin happy, he'll remain in control. If forces in The Vale ever want to become independent from Baelish, its not likely they'll do so by trying to rally behind Robin.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

..and, it's GILLY, with the 'secret' plot-point!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.