Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Enjoyed this today while sitting outside in the beautiful weather in the Bay Area today. Perfect lazy Saturday listening.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    [​IMG]
    Buck Clayton w Ruby Braff orig 10 inch from early 50s.
    Buck played w both Lester and Billie and this little sounding lp has a parlour room feel to it
    With lovely swinging guitar really pulling it all together by Steve Jordan who I know nothing about but he sure plays sweetly here

Lonson and David Ellis like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm for sure interested in checking it out, I just doubt I'd listen to it much after the initial listen.

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That's a bummer, during the summer, I fear this will happen when I have something being delivered on a day when I'm away at work in the office. With the frequent and sudden summer thunderstorms, our front porch gets quite wet when the rain really starts coming down.

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Listening to Lester and his friends I wonder about how I could have listened to the Basie Decca era as a young man and loved that sound and yet not realized Prez and Buck were such a major part of that sound. The folly of youth.
    I guess the seeds were planted back then but it took me decades to really dial in and focus
    Rock pop blues and folk music derailed me for much of that time but sometimes I wish I had jumped into jazz more whole heartedly when I was younger

dzhason likes this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I got this 3-CD set a week ago. Two sets recorded by the Sonet label on 2/18/83. Stan is in fine late-career form. Chet's trumpet playing is pretty good, but his vocals are wretched. I say this as a qualified admirer of his singing in the 50s. The excellent rhythm section is Jim McNeely (p), George Mraz (b) & Victor Lewis (d). A nice aspect is the playing of a pair of early Miles Davis tunes, "Sippin' At Bell's" & "Milestones" (not the same as the later modal Davis composition). They also do Sonny Rollins' "Airegin" & Benny Golson's "Stablemates". This Verve reissue is from 1998.

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

When Prez reigned..( and thanks to whoever mentioned this set a while ago as I had not played it in a while) 3cd set
    [​IMG]

rxcory, Six String and vanhooserd like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was working all day from home until a couple hours ago, but it gave me a chance to listen to a lot of jazz on the home stereo, and catch up on a lot of recent acquisitions (mostly) while doing so.

Lee Morgan, Sixth Sense
    Miroslav Vitous, Infinite Search (first listen, he has a great band on this one including Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Jack Dejonnete and Joe Henderson)
    The recent Hudson album with DeJohnette, John Scofield and John Medeskib- really like this one and wish I could have caught them at SF Jazz a couple months or so ago
    Lee Morgan, the Procrastinators
    John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (mono/stereo versions both on one SACD)
    Alice Coltrane, Journey to Sachinanda
    Larry Coryell, Spaces

Now listening to Billy Bragg and Wilco, Mermaid Ave Vol II because it unfortunately seemed like the time to play All You Fascists.

rxcory, johnnypaddock, Aura and 6 others like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Duke Ellington - Side By Side (Verve) stereophonic pressing. :)

NP Don Friedman VIP Trio - Timeless (Eighty Eight's) BSCD2
    W/John Pattituci and Omar Hakim.

This Japanese label specializes in piano jazz as one can tell by the name and it's the owner's nick name. Someone mentioned Partituci the other day. He's on several cds from this label. It's a great label imo if you like piano jazz and good sound. :agree: I have several of Friedman's and Hank Jones and they are all very well done from production to playing.

rxcory, Lonson and David Ellis like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm still absorbing thosing later volumes after playing the first to death. I just haven't put in the time I guess. It's been a while since I played III. I should be jumping on it but I'm not. ;)

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I listened to II quite a bit when it came out, but have to admit that I have barely listened to III at all. As I was listening to Vol. II tonight, I was thinking the same thing as you about III.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Pres was such a complete artist. . . there is something compelling about the combined impact of his sound, ideas and rhythmic ease. . . I too often fall under his spell. An amazing man whose work I have to collect--any time something new surfaces I scramble to get it.

ZenMango and Stu02 like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you wish, you can look up and have a chat with Lester Young Jr. He is a brilliant man, and I always found him to be quite engaging when talking about his father. If you have an interest in education, he is a widely acknowledged leader in that field.

Stu02 likes this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well I will have to think about that , I tend to get intimidated by these sorts of things .....

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well said ....
    Somehow his music doesn't seem to be as 'hip' as the modal masters and the more avant garde artists of the 60s and while I do love them as well, I would hate to see Lester get marginalized as a historical artifact rather then a still relevant artist whose sound can still transfix decades after being recorded....

Lonson likes this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jessica Williams - Fantasias and Adagios (Red & Blue)
    Solo piano music that strattles the classical/jazz labels.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Lester was generally credited as the "Father of Hip" in jazz. It's hard to say he has been marginalized when his approach to improvisation still resounds in a large percentage of jazz musicians.

Lester Young is no Rudy Wiedoeft, who was one of Lester's favorite inspirations in his career.

If Rudy's sax looks small, that's because it ain't a tenor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I never order vinyl in the summer here, not because of the rain, but the heat/humidity issue.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The nice thing is that if you live close to Boston there are still some great places to buy jazz vinyl in the summer. I myself live in the "North Country". I never consider it hot and humid. I run an air conditioner on maybe one day during an entire summer.

Maybe your body gets overheated and all sweaty when you listen to jazz?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Fender Relic and JeffMo like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

It's possible to live here without A/C, which I did for the first 12 years of my life. I also lived the same length of time in Georgia, most of it without A/C. To stand that you need a box fan in every room & as little clothing as possible. Since I returned to Nashville in 1990 & moved in with my soon-to-be-wife, I have led the air-conditioned life.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Stu02 likes this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ray DaviesAmericana (Legacy / Sony Music)

[​IMG]

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just got back from a trip to a kids museum in Philly and unwinding a little with this awesome album again:

Donald Byrd - Royal Flush

[​IMG]

One of these days I'm going to have to pick up the Music Matters reissue of this instead of just streaming it.

rxcory, NorCal, johnnypaddock and 6 others like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Regarding D. Byrd's Royal Flush, I've never really heard anyone speak of this album, I'd seen it while looking through albums on Music Matter's site and then posted here. However, after this second listening, I felt like it should be regarded as a classic jazz album of the likes of Kind of Blue. I was really excited by the tunes and the playing on it in the way I remember being, and still get, excited about KoB on the occasions when I break it out.

Now Playing, because I didn't get to finish the entire album the other day:

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child

[​IMG]

One of the nicest album covers ever, I'd like to have a print of this, without the lettering preferably, to hang in my office at home.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    rxcory, johnnypaddock, Stu02 and 5 others like this.
  25. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - 80's OJC

[​IMG]

rxcory, Six String and Crispy Rob like this.