My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Cool. Not to hijack but....Was just in North Myrtle Beach on vacation, and rented jet skis in Murrells Inlet. Kids had a blast even though it was a pretty choppy day. That ride out to the open water in the inlet is amazing, what a beautiful spot. And lunch at Drunken Jacks. I snuck out to visit Kilgore Trouts record store in myrtle, a lot of selection, cds and lps but just couldnt find a fit with what I was looking for. My rental car had no cd player to get back on topic.

Methodical likes this.
  2. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Nissan is the Chrysler of Japanese cars. :agree:

misterdecibel and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Wow, that's mean.:laugh:

jeff

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

That's because they put all their creative resources into Infiniti. I owned a G37 for a time and that thing was a rocket ship.

5. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Never knew folks felt this way about Nissan. Didn't they used to be the bomb at one point in time - 300z, 350z etc.?

6. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Hmm, at one time, yes. But really not since the Datsun 510....the "poor man's BMW".

Datsun 510 - Wikipedia

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

And GTR, yes hard to beat them there but somehow this is also the same company that manage to manufacture plain vanilla cars that are so boring that they are used as the company car for the invisible man.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

May I ask what worked? I've had a Coldplay one stuck for about two months!

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  9. Many people would love to have their Coldplay CDs stuck in a player.

:tiphat:

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

But how many want to hear Coldplay every single time they drive somewhere? :laugh:

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I had a 2002 Infiniti Q45 that came with cassette player and a CD changer. Too bad no turntable.

12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

my snappy 2013 honda civic has a CD player.i may have used in a few times.i just use my iPhone for iTunes( i burn any new CD i get to it) or spotify or listen to talk on the radio.really no need for CD player anymore.

13. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I'd scrap the car.

14. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player. I used it exactly once when I picked-up Nirvana's Unplugged in NYC for $5 at Walmart. Then I ripped it to iTunes. All my car listening is from my iPhone Bluetoothed to my car

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Say, no CD player, but how about gapless USB playback of lossless or AAC/MP3 audio? Any car media players capable of that?

16. Car manufacturers are always looking to cost expenses and unnecessary weight on most models. As younger consumers move almost entirely to using their phones as music listening portals, I could see the day very soon where lower end models almost entirely do away with music devices.

They'll remain on luxury models where extra options are needed to help sell the cars.

17. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Who wants to waste time on this pointless chore?

Blank Frank likes this.
  18. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I recently discovered that the Miata I've had for several months does in fact have a CD player. It's mounted between the glove box in back of the seats just behind the removable cup holders:

[​IMG]

Obviously, you're not going to get a CD in there if the cup holders are occupied. The other problem is that you are probably going to need to keep your spare CDs in the trunk. Well, if you take out the manual there is room for two or three in the glove box.

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I own a CRV a couple years older than the OP and I just plug in my Iphone before I leave the driveway select a playlist and hit the road.

It charges my phone and plays my favorite music at the same time. Why bother with CD's?

andybeau likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There's always this

[​IMG]

21. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The 2017 has one too. I absolutely never use it but it's there. Apple CarPlay has made my life quite simple so that I don't even need to think about the lack of a CD player. The sound is incredibly good too.

Ed

Mazzy likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And their automatics are all CVTs. Yecch.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Time certainly does move on.... I bought a new CD player earlier this year and it didn't come with a car :confused:

andybeau, Yost and Cockroach like this.
  24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It's already done so there isn't really much of a chore. I could drag and drop a sizable amount of my collection to a small thumb drive and probably never have to look at the thing again.

Infinitely more pointless chores come into play when said car won't read those files. So now I have to maintain a 2nd audio library and/or waste time converting files? Or now I need an alternative playback device through the aux port? Or now I need a new head unit?

25. Cockroach

Cockroach Well-Known Member

I have my entire music library, minus vinyl, ripped to MP3 and sitting on a server in my living room, which is also running Kodi. I have them also copied to a 64GB microSD card in my phone. So I can listen to my music with a few clicks of a mouse or taps on a screen literally anywhere, even in my car. And I never have to worry about scratching a CD handling them. I don't see it as pointless.

Damien DiAngelo and Sevoflurane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.