Worst failed solo careers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SeepSprite, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I think there's a big difference between a solo career (successful or not) and a side project. I get the feeling most people in this thread don't make the same distinction I do.

2. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I agree , although the OP does not make this distinction , sometimes it is also not easy to tell whether an artistst was still a member of a band at the time of a solo release or not (unless you are a real expert of course, various solo projects by members of Yes or the Moody Blues come to mind )

KevinP likes this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Judged purely in commercial terms, David Crosby has been notably unsuccessful outside the Byrds and CSN(Y).

Artistically, though, his first solo album is arguably better than anything produced by either Stills or Nash (but not Young), or by CSNY as a group.

Man at C&A and DTK like this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I was gonna name Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, but he did have one "solo" hit in '91 with saxophonist Candy Dulfer, the wonderfully moody "Lily Was Here", one of the last Top 20 instrumental hits in the US.

5. thematinggame

The wikipedia entry for If I could only remember my name reads:

"If I Could Only Remember My Name is the debut solo album by David Crosby, released in February 1971 on Atlantic Records. It was one of four high-profile albums released by each member of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping Déjà Vu album (along with Stephen Stills, Songs for Beginners, and After the Gold Rush). It peaked at #12 on the Billboard 200 and earned a RIAA gold certification for selling over 500,000 copies in the United States.Widely regarded as a cult classic,......."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Hey Vinyl Man and Heart of Gold like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Oh Sherrie was a big hit in Australia. That's one more big hit than Journey ever had here.

7. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Speaking about David Gilmour, after The Wall he tried to start a solo career with his album About Face. Probably sales figures would have been all-right for any other artist, but not for 'Pink Floyd'. In Brussels he played in a small venue that wasn't half-filled and several concerts had to be cancelled.

"The fact is, our individual names mean virtually nothing in terms of the great record- and ticket-buying public."

This made him re-think and re-record his next 'solo' album that eventually became Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Binni and DTK like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

All about the brand name...

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

True: and Gilmour seems to have learned from that experience, as he now plays arenas on the strength of his own name and without any 'from Pink Floyd' riders. He has convinced his audience that he is Pink Floyd as much as Roger Waters is.

DTK likes this.
  10. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Slightly off-topic, but - here in Europe - all Waters and Gilmour solo products have stickers on them with 'the genius of Pink Floyd' or 'the voice and guitar of Pink Floyd', same for announcements of live concerts.

Lost In The Flood, DTK and Siegmund like this.
  11. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bruce Foxton?

13. thematinggame

I looked him up, too but one single (Freak) from his first solo album Touch sensitive (not bad actually) made it to #23 in the UK charts, so he doesn't qualify - he recently picked up his solo career and this track from his last album is quite good , although the harmonies remind me very much of an old Style Council song

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I don't know if it was commercially successful or not, but he had some really valid solo stuff. I'd recommend his album "Greetings from the Gutter", very good music. Bowie, Lou Reed influences abound, and he had some nice guests on too.

I also liked his song "Jack Talking" whenever it came on TV. But he was with a band, technically (the Spiritual Cowboys).

Talented guy. I find Annie Lennox a bit grating after a while.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah pretty good.
    If you could bottle it, interesting jam.

16. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

You win!

Shak Cohen and coffeetime like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Florence Ballard of The Supremes ?

zebop and Kadink like this.
  18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Google and Wikipedia don't play music on the radio here.

19. thematinggame

Sorry I do not understand your comment.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I respect your opinion, but I'm sticking with mine; I just don't think that the solo careers of the artists I mentioned measure up to the stature of their previous bands.

21. Bruce Springsteen.

22. thematinggame

Again not what this thread is about , all you need to do is go back to the first post and read it:
    "What artists from hugely successful bands went on to have zero success as solo artists? I'm talking no Top 50 entry's on any major music chart"

Lost In The Flood and jon9091 like this.
  23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And you deride me for saying Paul Weller, when a bunch of other posts cite Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney. But you make a good point, didn't mean to offend, and I'll leave it there.

24. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Just curious - has Paul's 13 solo albums and 39 singles failed in Alberta? I'm based in the U.K. and assumed his 'reach' was bigger. Is he just a U.K artist?

25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

To be honest, he's not heard on the radio over here very much, but he never was. Neither was Style Council or The Jam, actually. Just never made a lot of in-roads over here, where he may have been sacrificed for putting more Canadian content on the airwaves...a mandatory practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.