The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

At least Ringo loves the remix. That has to count for something :)

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  2. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Paul as well.

bherbert likes this.
  3. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

Sgt Pepper, how can anyone visit Abbey Road Studios? No information about it on their website.

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The nice thing about this whole deal is that the listener still has a choice in what Pepper to listen to. The original stereo and mono mixes are widely available for those who want their Pepper "airy" with more breathing room. The remix is now available for those who like their Pepper crunchy. Sometimes I'm in the mood for crunchy so this remix certainly does the trick. Personal taste, of course, and YMMV.

5. Sgt Pepper

This was 1983 and I got my tickets through The Beatles magazine.

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Worth repeating: "Also, it's disingenuous for anyone to assert that the mono version of Pepper was the Beatles "original vision." They were very involved with many of the stereo mixes too, and not so involved with some of the mono mixes. Suffice to say, the Beatles got involved in the mixes when they were inclined to put forth the effort. And one look at Lewisohn shows that the stereo mixes weren't all done as an after-thought in a few quick sessions."

7. mrzpliff

mrzpliff Forum Resident

andybeau likes this.
  8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Lots of songs are being played as naiseum

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Every now and again someone will do an event there and you can buy tickets. I was there 2/3 years ago when Ken Scott was a speaker. So keep checking. It was a wonderful experience.

Peace and love✌
    Dave

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ringo throws a peace sign at everything that hypes the Beatles.

bherbert and boggs like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id say the bad thing about all of this is they had one shot to do a great remix and muffed it up. Now those who are disappointed in it will never have the choice.

Lownote30, lukpac, gja586 and 3 others like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And Paul will pretty much give the thumbs up to anything they do concerning the Beatles also.

Do you guys really think Paul and Ringo understand what really good sq is? Or a proper mix?

Oh wait, maybe they do. And thats even worse.

If it keeps the Beatle machine rolling, they are thumbs up. Theyve been at that for years. Kind of cliches of themselves actually.

13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

But he's only a Beatle who played on 11 songs out of 13. What the hell would he know? ;)

14. Sgt Pepper

In your opinion.:blah:

After all this time probably more than someone on an internet forum does, after all, and just in case you have forgotten.........they have been creating records for over fifty years, or so I am led to believe.:uhhuh:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Bartleby and Rockinrob like this.
  15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

What's your agenda? Sgt Pepper and Mrgroove01 both report that they heard stunning audio at the Abbey Road event in 1983. Since you weren't there, how can you claim that their descriptions are subject to hyperbole?

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm feeling a bit as naiseum.

17. Sgt Pepper

Giles Martin also said when he heard the tapes of The Beatles stored at Abbey Road it was like they were with him in the studio, they were that good.:)

If you search Giles Martin on FB there is a fantastic interview Matt Everitt does with Giles explaining this and much more. ( he mentions him and his father being blown away by A Day In The Life, more than likely the same recording we heard or at least first generation)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

It's the opposite. The Studer j 37 had the ability to record sound from 30hz to 15khz.

Digital recording systems do 20hz to 20khz

You might be thinking that analog was a bit more forgiving when you overloaded the signal. It kind of distorted, and in a musical way.

Push the signal too hard in the digital world and the distortion is nasty and unforgiving. A hard ceiling is a good term

A well respected man likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, yeah usually when I say something its considered from me and my opinion.

Of course youre the guy earlier that was yammering on about how you were impressed with the master tapes just like you are with the remix lol.

Oh, yeah, I understand you werent clear lol.

Theyre stars and for the most part have been out of touch with the real world for most of their lives. Artists MANY times are the worst objective judges concerning the reissuing of their albums. They are just people, the days of "our rock gods have spoken" have long past.

Well, for some of us.....

gja586 and Gila like this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I'm not talking about the quality of what they remember hearing. I'm saying describing it as having listened to "the master tapes" is not accurate.

Gila likes this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

Judging by the outtakes on the Pepper set, the tapes do sound good as they are. They don't sound as good though after all the processing done on the album remix.

22. Sgt Pepper

Again you're refusing to listen so there is no point really, but here goes again, I heard what was probably first generation tapes if not the master tapes in Abbey Road which were unreal and sound far beyond anything you can imagine.

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Emphasis on "not the master tapes"

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

It was the 'master tape' compiled for the show, which in itself was copies of other tapes.

lukpac likes this.
  25. Sgt Pepper

If it was not and that I am unsure of it was the first generation which far and away better than anything you have heard and comparable with my experience with the new remix of pepper. So let's not get to hang up on minor technicalities, as you were not there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.