The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

ah right i get it, whole lotta trolling going on.:unhunh:

2. Sgt Pepper

Ah right, you know this how?

Even if it was first generation, what do you think they would sound like.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

No I'm not trolling. How could it be the first generation master tapes when the show was compiled with narration inbetween songs and a lot of songs that were just excerpts? Roger Scott wasn't actually there playing parts of master tapes, the whole thing was assembled on tape. Therefore they were copies. It's quite simple.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love me mono fabs. :winkgrin:

5. Sgt Pepper

Guys, guys get over you missed the boat on this one and i was sitting in the captains chair so to speak. Envy is a strange thought process but one I can get over very quickly from those who should know better.

6. Sgt Pepper

You can compile a tape using the original master.

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

And how would you crossfade the narration, or fade an excerpt out?

Some tracks were the official mixes. There's no way they chopped them up to insert into the programme tape.

thrivingonariff, lukpac and Onder like this.
  8. Sgt Pepper

I tell you what my friend contact Abbey Road and ask them, easy. Because already I have been backed up by another member here just how incredible it sounded.

You're getting way too hung up on if these were the masters or not, I know what I and many others heard and it was something you will never experience I am afraid. So every point your trying to score is kind moot is it not?

9. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Wow, I could die happy if I could go into the Abbey Road and listen to copies of the original tapes. I've heard of the Abbey Road Show and am aware of someone making boots from a hidden tape recorder, but I've never met someone who was actually there. Even the boots from that sounded good so the quality from the actual tape playing must have been incredible. They should do that again someday. Just a one-off "performance" and at the end they could finally play Carnival of Light so everyone could decide if they love it or hate it. But with cell phones and mini-digital recorders being widely available today it would be super difficult to prevent people from bootlegging it. And you know people would be trying...

TimR, Shaddam IV and Sgt Pepper like this.
  10. Sgt Pepper

Wow thanks for the positive comments, I hope you can make it some day although I believe shortly after we were there the removed much of the old equipment and revamped the studios. But those speakers and tapes we listened to were incredible, it honestly felt as if they were playing and rehearsing right next to you.

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Your opinion only

Rockinrob likes this.
  12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Isn't that true of everyone?

Though it is a fact that the outtakes are presented much 'straighter' than the remix.

No syncing of pre-bounce tapes, no (or very little) added effects, no 'stereo-ising' etc.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed about the wishful thinking part.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's where he's gone overboard in my opinion.

Laservampire, lukpac and Onder like this.
  15. Morton LaBongo

The Sgt Pepper remix this summer was a big event and judging from the (in my opinion) mostly positive reaction from the fans, Apple may be enticed to do something like the Abbey Road Show again in advance of the (fingers crossed) upcoming White Album remix. I have heard that Abbey Road has been for the most part reconfigured in such a way that it makes access to the vintage equipment quite difficult, but they could hold it in another larger public venue like they did for the special Pepper 5.1 remix. I'm not sure why people are being so critical over this, the Abbey Road Show was a well-documented Beatle event and by all accounts the sound was amazing. A significant amount of people went to it (not sure how many though) and it stands to reason that some people who went to it would be part of this forum.

Shaddam IV and Sgt Pepper like this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The dude went to the Abbey Road Show in 1983. Cut him a break!! It is a legitimate claim. The entire show has been bootlegged. Even if the original master tapes weren't played, I'm sure it still sounded amazing to a visitor sitting in Studio Two at Abbey Road.

Time to move on.

zobalob, chacha, Sidewinder43 and 5 others like this.
  17. Sgt Pepper

fogalu likes this.
  18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The access would be easy enough, most of the vintage gear that they've kept is still there and in working order. I personally know of only two folks, not including staff engineers, who went to the "Show" back in the day. I did not attend. My trip was much more recent, but still awhile back. It's not surprising that the audio during the "Show" was excellent. The sounds heard at Abbey Road are truly one-of-kind and life-changing. Phenomenal deep bass and transcendent highs. Vocals seem to float in front of you. The music just doesn't sound the same at home, no matter how nice one's system is.

The negative reviews of the remix both surprise and bother me at times. Yes, everyone is entitled to their respective opinions, but some of the complaints are just beyond the pale, IMO. I wonder if any of the naysayers have tried to remixing stuff; while needing to separate instruments and vocals from locked tracks? Did Giles and his staff go overboard trying to do this at times? Yea, but it was done with a point and goal in mind. To make the remix DIFFERENT than what is commonly available. He was given that task by Universal and Apple. He will continue to be given the job until he chooses to bow out. He WANTS to tackle the White Album. Sales and positive reaction for 2017 Pepper all point that something will be done next year for the WA. Do folks want these projects halted because not every remix or process is to their liking? I sure hope not. Ron

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    zobalob, Rockinrob, TimR and 9 others like this.
  19. Morton LaBongo

I just looked this up and The Beatles at Abbey Road Show actually ran for almost two months. It is a pretty well-documented event. Quite a number of people had the opportunity to hear original Beatles master tapes:

July 18, 1983: EMI opened Abbey Road's #2 Studio to the public for a special program, "The Beatles at Abbey Road," presented three times per day for a limited period extending to Sept. 11. The tour included a two-hour multimedia presentation of The Beatles career and the playing of many unreleased tracks.

Allen J. Weiner, The Beatles Ultimate Recording Guide, p. 140.

Shaddam IV and Sgt Pepper like this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

I haven't.

lukpac and Onder like this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No one has.

Onder likes this.
  22. Ephi82

I don't care that they used new technology for the remix! The fact that there is technology now that can spectrally identify and then place George and John's guitars in different places in the soundstage is just amazing and incredibly musical to me. Think: they recorded the two guitars to one track, so it was hard to hear who was playing what.

Lennon used to de tune his d string so Mimi knew what he was playing, and Normal Smith used distinctively differently voiced mics on the two amplifiers towards the same end.

Nothing will ever change my love of the original recordings, but the remix and new technologies only allow another way to enjoy some of the best music made in my lifetime.

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

I don't think the remix actually has any examples of that, does it?

24. Sgt Pepper

Great info, many thanks.

25. Ephi82

Can't like this post enough!

Sgt Pepper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.