Hearing Loss device in Havana question (no politics)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cherrycherry, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was information in the news about some type of inaudible sonic device which has caused some hearing loss to a few US/Canadian diplomats stationed in Havana, Cuba.
    Canadian Diplomat in Cuba Joins US Officials in Suffering From Hearing Loss

I am curious to speculate exactly what type of device could it be? Outside the audible frequency range and affects the ear so that there is loss within the audible frequency range?
    I don't know much about hearing loss, nor do I know much more than the news articles as to what type of hearing loss: certain frequencies or across all audible frequencies? How much hearing loss did they experience? Fully deaf or going deaf? Is it permanent?

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Ultrasonic record cleaners

Robert C and showtaper like this.
  3. Cherrycherry

Is that likely?

I read a little more and infrasound or ultrasound may be likely, but, I haven heard of this type of thing before.
    I thought exposure to his amplitude sounds would cause hearing loss at those frequencies.

4. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

High frequency noise designed to melt the wax in your ears.

5. Cherrycherry

Frequencies above human hearing, say 25kHz-44kHz ?
    Aren't these frequencies in the realm of HIREZ music?
    Wouldn't listeners of HIREZ tracks be susceptible to hearing damage?

6. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Right now nobody outside of the CIA knows what is going on. I do know the high frequency component of HD tracks is of very low amplitude.

7. Cherrycherry

I think someone besides the CIA knows. But, we are left guessing.
    From the referenced news article:
    "
    A spokeswoman gave no more information. But a State Department official said someone placed an inaudible sonic device either inside or outside U.S. diplomatic residences in Havana.

The device caused hearing loss, headaches, sleeplessness and general disorientation, and forced several U.S. personnel to return home early."

8. Cherrycherry

If the high frequencies ,25-44kHz were amplified to 100dB or more, while we couldn't hear them, could they really damage our hearing?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

If I spiked your drink with flavorless poison would you still die?

10. Cherrycherry

Possibly. It would depend on the poison and the dosage, wouldn't it?

11. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

The age of fake news - who exactly knows if there's any merit to this story, or indeed what the motivations may be. I read it with interest because the mosquito device is successfully used as a deterrent over this side of the pond. In fact, I've heard it in action - 17khz blasted at you is deeply unpleasant.

One should also consider ototoxicity in this story...

Lucca90 and smilin ed like this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't think there is any chance of this being a fake story. It went unreported to media for a long time and details have been painfully slowly revealed despite pressure from the media to get details. I do find the ototoxic event idea very credible though. These people live in what is likely a nice neighborhood in an otherwise very pedestrian and frankly, a jungle environment. Use of quinine in bottled water there perhaps, and or pesticides being sprayed on bushes outside of their homes, both to combat mosquito and malaria. Mosquitoes are likely large enough in Cuba to pick-up small children and pets and carry them off to their nests... After a vacation on a particularly hot and wet few days in the outer banks and Ocracoke Island NC, I refered to the mosquitoes there as pterodactyl.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

4xoddic likes this.
  13. recordist

recordist Well-Known Member

Newswise, this is just terrible reporting. "Mysterious" / "apparently" / "a spokeswoman" / "a state Dept official" / "someone" /"either inside or outside" / "unclear" / "highest levels of its govt"...how would anyone ever fact-check this "report"? I was skeptical the moment a co-worker read it to me a few days ago.

Audio-wise, I think it's implausible that people would unknowingly lose their hearing from an "inaudible sonic device" (and as long as they have no idea what it is, why not a flavorless food additive or an odorless gas or an invisible ray?). LRAD (long range acoustic device) units are extremely LOUD, over 150 db, could make one lose their hearing, and can be heard through automobiles and buildings, but there's nothing silent about them. The infamous "brown note" which supposedly causes the affected to lose control of their bowels has been proven false. Prolonged infra-sound can cause brain damage in divers *underwater*, but generally no physical changes to humans out in the air.

Ultrasound above 120db can possibly cause hearing loss, and worse at higher levels.

But mainly the terrible reporting makes me doubt the whole thing.

Those guys didn't happen to go to a loud concert the night before, and sit right in front of the speakers, did they? Also not reported... o_O

smilin ed likes this.
  14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Messenger shot... :rolleyes:

-Bill

Rasputin, billnunan and Muzyck like this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

In Alaska the mosquito is considered the state bird; they get so large the FAA requires "N" (registration) numbers, navigation lights and transponders. At a distance often mistaken for helicopters. Now you know!

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The roar of their overpassing might deafen you. ;)
    -Bill

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Their shadow blocks out the midnight sun.

Ntotrar likes this.
  18. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Someone probably leveraging the techniques designed to indiscriminately torture sea mammals.

19. Cherrycherry

Admittedly, the story as reported sounds a bit unbelievable, yet, I thought that the news source, VOA, was not some yellow journalism source.
    Here is another recounting, with a US Spokewoman named.
    Hearing Loss of US Diplomats in Cuba Blamed on Covert Device

I understand the skepticism of the story. It sounds unplausible.
    Presuming the story was valid as published by a news organization owned and operated by the U.S. Government,
    I was more curious if an actual device existed, how would it work.
    Lots of audio enthusiasts here, risked asking about it.

20. recordist

(Ex?) Fox News anchor Heather Nauert is that US Spokeswoman.

Not too long ago, I had done a bunch of looking around regarding "sound as a weapon", thought it was a pretty interesting topic...I was kind of disappointed to find out that most of the stories were just hokum. Doesn't mean that I actually know anything about it, or that something new hasn't been invented/discovered since...

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

FYI, not that this has anything to do with the Cuba "incident". I doubt that was a weapon, but there are such non-lethal weapons. There are probably a few ways to use them as a lethal weapon as well if needed.

File:LRAD naval.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    -Bill

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Then there is this:

-Bill

23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I saw a weapon like this on Discoveries "Weapons impossible I think"
    A sonic canon.

24. recordist

Re VMADS:

"an unnerving non-lethal sensation of intense heat" Yeesh, they sure have the right wording down pat so some might approve of COOKING protesters with microwaves from a distance!

Well, "only" their outer 1/64 inch - how thick is an eardrum? an eyeball? Howbout someone who was unable to get out of the way, injured or unconscious?

This may be a "heat ray", but it gives me the CHILLS.

25. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I read this the day it came out and it sounded like BS...just like most stuff I read on the net.

JNTEX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.