Albums that are poignant cos they were the 'end of an era' for a group..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

This may be hard to define, but I'll try to explain what I mean. Are there any albums that have an added poignant effect when you hear them because the feel like the last gasp of the group (or of a particular phase of the group?).

An example for me that might explain things better is 'The Papas and the Mamas' , the 1968 LP by the Mamas and the Papas; it has this downbeat, more troubled quality that their earlier carefree work lacks, like you can hear the hippy ideal the band were birthed in curdle as the album goes on.. that and the fact it would be their last LP before splitting (leaving aside their pretty faceless 1971 reunion LP) gives the work this kind of pervading sadness throughout of giving up on a dream that is cumulatively affecting.

This make any sense? Any others of your own?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    majoyenrac, SinnerSaint, Sean and 6 others like this.
  2. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

The Beach Boys 20/20, at least for me because it was the end of their time with Capitol Records and I consider that by far their best period and have never really gotten into the 70s stuff.

3. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Songs like "These Are the Days of our Lives" and "The Show Must Go On" are much more poetic, knowingly foreboding and important than they were when the album initially came out (almost a year before Freddie passed).

mark renard, AndydD, Sordel and 14 others like this.
  4. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I'd go with Queen "Jazz". They put out some good songs after that, but lost their brilliance.

AndydD, Derek Slazenger and Laser Red like this.
  5. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

I agree on the act but I'd actually say People Like Us does it for me more than that album. Contractual obligatation - give us a record or else get sued. No Lou Adler. John not fully at the races creatively. John said in interview (video, Straight Shooter) that he said to the others during the sessions, look, our hearts aren't in this, it's just contractual but let's just leave what we had done as the 'legacy'. But People Like Us has this undercurrent of one last gasp, the fading dawn of a Prom Night where nobody wants to go home; the subliminal disappointment that still retains the promise of what might have been, but, "Now is the time, blow out the candle," etc.
    Debut aside, my favourite record of theirs.

JDeanB, agundy, audiomixer and 4 others like this.
  6. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

Very interesting perspective, thanks for your response.. have to admit I've not listened to the 1971 material in depth or for many years, but when I've heard it it always sounded to me as I say 'faceless' and little to do with their old sound.. is it true that Mama Cass is barely audible on it, and most/all of the female leads are Michelle? That for starters would be enough to rob it of a big part of the Ms and Ps signature sound.. have to admit I've always been curious about what these sessions were like, so your insight is appreciated.. I also wonder if there are any more photos of the group from 1971 other than the cover image..

7. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Definitely the final two Zeppelin songs on In Through The Out Door (All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl). Two of the most poignant and heartfelt songs the group ever wrote. Although they didn't know it, or intend it, they turned out to be their "swan songs". Even today when I listen to those last two tracks, the melancholy remains. The whole album, by and large, is like a bittersweet scrapbook and remains arguably the greatest example of a band going out on top. Poignancy defined in my book! Just spun the deluxe box vinyl of this the other day as a matter of fact. One of my all-time favorite albums that only continues to grow in stature as the years go by. At least for me. As do all their albums...

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground's Loaded.
    They're transitioning to a more traditional rock band. But they were worn out after 5 years of limited success, and with Moe Tucker gone it wasn't really a band anymore. Lou Reed's vocals are really hoarse and he had to let Doug Yule, who was pushing for more control, sing a few tunes.
    It's still a fine album.

9. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

"Let it Be" is the definitive album in this category. The Spectorized "Long and Winding Road" is as poignant as any song ever recorded. At least they went out on top, reviving one of their early compositions "One After 909", and trying to have fun in the studio: "For You Blue".

10. Einar Einarsson Kvaran

Einar Einarsson Kvaran King of his castle

Although neither is by a group, both of these were intended to mark the end of an era.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

There are a few more Henry Diltz shots from the cover session. Denny wears giant 'fly' shades in one. Michelle looks weary though is still smiling. Can't copy a link at present. As regards other ones, unsure. I often thought that myself about '71.

ajsmith likes this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'll go with In Through The Out Door by Led Zeppelin.They probably didn't know it at the time but the end was near and somehow you can feel it in this lp.The end of a titanic,epic, gargantuan run.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

First that came to mind was the Kink's Village Green (last album with Pete Quaife) and its back cover photo.
    [​IMG]

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Another example - Jethro Tull's Stormwatch, with a fair number of dark, depressing songs, finishing with the instrumental "Elegy" (written by David Palmer for his father), and it would be followed by the death of bassist John Glascock and then Ian's split with long time band members Palmer, John Evan and Barrie Barlow.

15. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

People like us has always been my favourite Mamas & Papas album , a very smooth and laid-back album which captures the end of an era very well, it also sits very nicely next to John Phillips' solo album from the previous year.
    Another favourite of mine with a similar laid-back / countrified feel (at least in some songs) is The Who by numbers , to me it also marked the end of an era , and I don't really care for what came afterwards

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    majoyenrac and CBS 65780 like this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Octave - the Moody Blues
    Chicago 13 - Chicago

Horse Brunsby likes this.
  17. CraigWilliams

CraigWilliams Forum Resident

The Who By Numbers. I think it's one of their best, but the wheels were spinning off. It was apparently an exhausting album to record, due to Pete's writer's block and personal issues, Roger's "anger at the world" (as Pete said) and Keith's continued bout with drug and alcohol abuse. It's a wonder it was even finished, much less be such an amazing and introspective album. But definitely poignant in retrospect, and the end of an era.

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Big Star Third aka Sister Lovers:

After original band member Chris Bell had already left Big Star after their first release, the end of the band seemed to loom overhead, or at least in the distance.

"Third" is a document of a brilliant band's final sessions, deeply evocative, sometimes emotionally raw and incredibly heart-wrenching at times.

To many, it's Alex Chilton at his finest, but it's also the sound of a once amazing band sadly splintering apart.

Radio KTmS and DTK like this.
  19. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

RATT- Reach for the sky, you really knew it was over as they were grabbing for straws here. Id say Dancing Undercover but that was suppose to be the one to break them big time and it didnt

Cooks420 likes this.
  20. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Let It Be - The Beatles
    Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits

21. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This came to my mind...with couple mentioned above

AndydD likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

XI (last with Terry Kath) might be the obvious choice, but XIV (last album for Columbia, and last album with all songs written or co-written by members of the band) has the most "end of an era" vibe for me.

Suncola and Horse Brunsby like this.
  23. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Santana - Milagro. It was the last album until Santana IV that sounded like a true band effort. Everything after that (with the exception of Shape Shifter) used the "young and hip guest star" formula that only worked well on Supernatural.

BwanaBob and strummer101 like this.
  24. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

DOkken Back for the Attack - the finally were achieving superstardom and like idiots couldnt get along and by the time the FLAME had died down on the album they were already broken up

Freebird and Cooks420 like this.
  25. Jazz was also the last Queen album to feature the "no synths!" disclaimer, and Freddie took up smoking after this point because he felt there was nowhere else to go with his natural voice, the '80s studio material showcasing a huskier approach that went perfectly with his new macho appearance (unfortunately, when combined with his existing vocal nodules, it also meant far less consistency in a live setting, where he'd often resort to flat out barking on the final Magic Tour especially).

seed_drill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.