Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Never heard of it. Looked it up - it's going straight to video in the US...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah ..just got the DVD (no blu).

3. alexpop

Correct that's where I seen the poster at the IMAX cinema.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I know this movie doesn't have mainstream ambitions, but it looks so damn amazing:

Deuce66 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

"Loving Vincent": The good reviews and the novelty of being a hand-painted film may overcome the handicap of the chick-flick title.

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Oh so true. As a parent of young children, it is guaranteed, we will take them to virtually all of these if one has not been out in a while. The only way to mess it up is to release 2 or 3 at the same time, or to do what Monster Trucks did. That movie fit more of a tween crowd, and had questionable content for little ones.

Just make it appealing to 7 year olds, make it so parents can stand it, and watch the money roll in.

McLover likes this.
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Here's a good article on why Hollywood is concerned that some fairly big blockbuster sequels did not earn as much as expected, which has sent studio profits spiraling downward:

The biggest culprits this summer were Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and Paramount’s “Transformers: The Last Knight,” both of which saw a big drop in domestic returns compared to previous installments in their respective franchises.

“Pirates 5” became the first film in that series to gross less than $200 million domestically — just $171 million, a mere 21 percent of its global total. “Transformers 5” fared even worse, making just $129.5 million despite having no wide-release competition when it opened in late June. By comparison, the last installment in the series, 2014’s “Age of Extinction,” made nearly double that with $245 million.

And while Paramount’s “Baywatch” performed OK overseas, the $69 million comedy only made $58 million in the U.S. This result, combined with that of “Pirates 5,” contributed to the lowest Memorial Day Weekend numbers since 1999.

Hollywood's Summer of Dog Days: Box Office Down 12 Percent

There is a silver lining: a handful of films, like the hit action film Baby Driver (not a sequel, a remake, or a comic book movie) just passed $100 million domestic, which is a huge amount of money for a film that only cost $30M to make.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

This has been a poor summer for movies.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Is it possible the studios will reconsider pulling the trigger on the big tentpole sequel comic book / franchise flick after this summer's bombs?

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

someone will probably get the idea to have JLA and the Avengers battle each other, refereed by Godzilla

Old Rusty likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Shhhh. You might give them ideas!

:shh:

13. Vidiot

Marvel's still making money. A lot of WB execs' heads are gonna be on the block when Justice League is released in November.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If it bombs. With Wonder Woman onboard, I suspect it's gonna do just fine. But, we'll see...

15. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I saw it on first week..and just a few days ago! very good.:oops::love::love::love::winkgrin::winkgrin::disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust:lol!

16. Vidiot

It's gonna be a gamble. But I have every expectation that Joss Whedon will be able to take the plane out of a nosedive, bring it around, and avoid a crash landing.

17. alexpop

BTW..it was excellent.

18. alexpop

JL will do ok( picture/ theme will be dark). Thor :Ragnarok will clean up at the box office.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I know people seem to view all of the "DC Universe" flicks other than "WW" as failures, but they weren't. "MoS", "BvS" and "Suicide Squad" all made money - not as much as WB wanted, but it's not like they stiffed...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Justice league won't be huge bomb , but it's way over budget..
    too many things have changed Joss inflecting his humor which is old
    now.. Won't make this good movie .. It's really too much to put in the screen..
    I enjoyed wb dc cartoon 90's and 2000's and direct to dvd movies
    which have more depth better acting than any live action version wb tries
    to do.. I say it will be big disappointment ticket and brand sales..
    oh well..

MikaelaArsenault and shokhead like this.
  21. Vidiot

And here's another article on the films that have already either bombed or were industry disappointments in 2017. The films include:

Transformers: The Last Knight
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    The Great Wall
    The Mummy
    Monster Trucks
    The Promise

Bear in mind these are not necessarily films that tanked -- they just made a lot less money than expected, sometimes to the point where they'll be lucky to break even.

Big-budget movies that took a faceplant in 2017

benjaminhuf and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Suicide Squad actually outperformed expectations at the box office for WB.

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Watching the trailer to "valerian ...," I thought to myself, that looks really awful. not surprised it didn't do well.

24. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Security (it says 2016 in the end credits)

A team of shopping mall security guards (including Antonio Banderas) without guns have to protect a girl sheltering from a gang of contract killers (lead by Ben Kingsley).

It’s one of those set in America movies that is obviously shot in Eastern Europe (in this case Bulgaria) because it’s cheaper or there’s a tax thing going on. This was dispiritingly generic and banal. I wonder if anyone thought it was anything more than a piece of crap while making it. It’s generic space filler that has no artistic reason to exist. Being uninspired and clichéd etc doesn’t mean it has to be a bad film, but this has been made without flair or style or much obvious effort. The script is rote garbage and the production is by the numbers. The word ‘passion’ does not spring to mind. This is a movie assembled by accountants. I can imagine a team of producers on set deliberately blanding down anything with a pulse that would have made the film interesting or distinctive. It’s too low-budget and small to excite as an action movie and not well enough crafted to work as a tight claustrophobic thriller. The setup of also far too long winded considering how little story there is. It’s not complicated stuff and yet it takes about half an hour for the carnage to begin. Mediocrity permeates the whole movie in every nook and cranny.

I knew I was wasting my time so after about an hour I hit x6 to get it over with. I have no regrets skipping over the climax. My only regret is that I wasted that previous hour on this worthless crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.