Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Announced ! 01/27/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ninecats, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Keep it going.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

An album this old has no right to sound this good. So clear, instruments are rendered out in space perfectly; vocals are sublime; drums snappy but controlled; horns are, well, Chicago horns all heard loud and proud; bass is there. Hiss? What's that?

3. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I'm really sorry if this has been asked and answered before (I don't have time to go through 35 pages) but is this likely to be issued on vinyl and if so have any dates been announced?
    Thanks.

4. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Ed Hughes likes this.
  5. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked it for 10.00.
    Re; mix ..vocals /Instruments more clear. So far ..like it. Then again I love this album. No cd inner.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Finally purchased from Amazon last week for $11.79 and played twice this week. yeah more punch and less "muck" on this album. "Make Me Smile" jumps out as a big improvement-Kath's vocals, the horns, Seraphine's drums, Cetera's bass etc....

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I am waiting for the vinyl release of this. I saw a big full-page advertising on this Steve Wilson Remix on Chicago II in either Stereophile or Absolute Sound magazine.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The "A-Ha" moment for me was hearing the clarity of the shaker and tambourine in Make Me Smile.

Wingsfan2012 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But those have always had clarity...the only things on the track that did.

g.z. and JediJoker like this.
  11. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I would love to see what Wilson could do with "Chicago V"-

"A Hit By Varese" and "Dialogue" among others are begging for improved sonics!

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What's wrong with them? They always sounded great to me.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree...sure, a better mix could bring out improvements but I always thought V was one their better sounding albums from that pre-mid seventies period.

14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Just picked this disc up preowned at FYE and it definitely sounds great!

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

People are selling them on already.......

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

FYI to all interested parties: I just picked up a vinyl copy of the Wilson
    re-mix at my local Barnes & Noble store.
    B & N has it as an exclusive. Also - 10% off all vinyl at B & N this weekend. Looks to me like the discount is franchise-wide.

17. Headfone

P. S. Lacquers by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio.

180 gram. Faux-Columbia label.

Copy of original poster included.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I didn't even know this was out on vinyl!! Thanks for the info (I wish "they'd" put out his remix of Fragile on vinyl as well).

19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I would be interested in how this one sounds in comparison to the Rhino vinyl that was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at RTI

20. Headfone

Well, as I now have them both, give me a week or so to do a decent comparison, and I'll give you my opinion. I just got done listening to Sides 1 & 2 of the new one and, from strictly a cutting / pressing standpoint: dead quiet.

AudiophilePhil, SteelyNJ and John D. like this.
  21. Headfone

Yeah, I didn't either. It turned out to be one of those shopping trips that ended very suddenly.

22. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I'm also looking forward to hearing your comparison of the two vinyl versions, as well as to any differences you might find between the Wilson remix on vinyl vs. CD. FWIW, both of my Bellman-cut Chicago LPs (CTA and II) are also dead quiet and, in my opinion, VERY good.

Gardo, Myke and Headfone like this.
  23. Headfone

I'm most happy to oblige. However, can we do it this way: each of you give me two songs to compare and I'll try to do a decent job. Comparing the entire albums is too monumental and time consuming of a task. I can handle four songs, I think.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  24. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I'm sure you'll do a great job. I don't have any particular songs in mind but there always seems to be extra attention and criticism heaped on the "ballet" songs, so maybe start with "Make Me Smile" and a track from one of the other three album sides, like "Fancy Colours" or any other song you're fond of and very familiar with.

25. Headfone

I've loved the Bellman version for a long time. I can tell you in very general terms, it's mastered louder than Gray. I've been listening to Fancy Colours. On this particular song, EQ, across the spectrum is heightened on Bellman. Bellman's wind chimes border on shrillness (even distortion?) to my ears. But Bellman's bass in the organ/guitar section at section at the end is more satisfying to me than Wilson/Gray. So far, on Fancy Colours, I give a slight edge to Bellman. Just rocks a bit harder.

John D. and SteelyNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.