Selecting driver and inverter tubez

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davros19, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davros19

Davros19 New Member Thread Starter

Hi, I am starting a build of a pp amp that will use 4 EL 156 power tubes , in pp ul. My question is what would be a good driver tibe, and phase imverter? I already have 12bh7, 5964, 12Au7 and the Russian 6h30. I also have E80cc Phillips tubes onhand. I want to run the El156 at about 30w each, 60w per channel. Which of my onhamds best have the ruggedness to really drive the el156 . I have a quad of new testing Telefunken el-156 ready to go. I plan parallel 274b mesh Playes to provide power. Amy suggestions?

2. Davros19

That should be 5963

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Nice. I've always wanted to hear a 156 amp. Where did you come across those Teles???

What iron are you using? Power supply is going to have some say in this. I've seen a few schematics for 156 amps. From what I've read it's not a difficult tube to drive. Based on what I've read and seen I'd try the 12bh7 in the phase inverter spots then depending on what your sound goals are, the 12au7 if you want a more tubey less linear sound or the 6h30 for a cleaner sound. Though if I was giving this build a shot I'd probably use the e80cc just for the cool points.

4. Davros19

I picked up the Telefunkens from a seller in Germany, as for transformers, I'm looking for power with sufficient voltage and current ratong but so far have not found the right match. 600v and over 400 mA is hard to find.

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

Check these out. Should be able to get what you need.

Electra-Print.com Audio Transformers

Electra-Print will custom wind for you. A bit pricey but really nice iron.

Then there's EDCOR. They make a ton of different transformers to order. I think they are the best bang for the buck transformers around. I'd be surprised if you contacted them and they couldn't get you what you need.

EDCOR

Are you going to go tube rectified? Personally I think I'd tube rectified, with a decent size choke.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. Davros19

Actually , I planned on using 2 parallel eml 274b mesh plates. They will provide 600v and maybe 340 mA. I need more current, my choices are a third 274b, but can I parallel in a Telefunken rgn-1064? It's mesh plate , gives abput 70 more mA , and consumes only 1amp and less costly than another eml 274b. Thanks for the links! I hope when all is done to operate the amp at maybe 80-85%, to conserve tube life.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Davros19

I stumbled across a Hammond amp, 534 mA, 1 6.3 6 A heater leg. 400-0-400, but I need 2 heater legs, a bias tap, and 5V 5a for rectifier heaters,
    I'll try your suggestions.

8. Davros19

Use the ecc80 As driver or phase inverter? Or both? I definitely prefer rich , warm tubey sound, my music preference is hard rock ( AC/D.C. The Who, ZZ Top, queen ) I'm searching for power trans, I did find. Hammond thAt is 420-0-420, 534 mA , pricey but close to my needs. Btw, am using parallel 274b. Mesh rectifiiets

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

Parallel 274b tubes are beyond me. Those are direct heated rectifiers. Do you have a schematic you are following?

Hammond stuffs ok. I believe the iron and circuit design are the two biggest things that determine the sound of the amp, everything else comes in much further down the line. I'm currently learning all I can about the engineering of tube amps as I want to build my own take on the classic Mullard circuit. I've heard a few different transformers in similar layouts and the Electra-Print and EDCOR are the two I like from North America. I also like Tamura and Hashimoto and the Lundhal transformers are very nice. I'm not a big fan of the Hammonds I've heard. The other crazy popular brand is Tango and I think they are just really over priced. I won't mention two other transformer companies that are popular with the DIY community because I only heard really cheap ones from them but they sucked.

I'd use the ecc80 as the driver tube. They are super similar to the 12au7s but look cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.