David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I saw a full page ad about the album on one of my fave music magazines back in the day.
    Loved the cover sleeve already. Bought the album immediately. Glad the music underneath is so great as well.

Myke likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I had been filling in holes earlier in 2008, in my Floyd / Gilmour / Waters collections, and somehow got wind of the Best Buy Exclusive, and pre ordered it immediately.
    I remember it arriving when it was getting dark earlier, and the leaves on the ground were crunchy, and people were burning wood around my apartment. I always associate most of David's solo work with Autumn.

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Some believe it is just coincidence that Dave & Roger only wear black t shirts

[​IMG]

Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Wanted to take my kid but was concerned that it would reviewed by high times

5. Myke

?

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  6. Myke

7. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

The European vinyl of "Gdansk" is something special. I hope to pick up the US version to compare the two, which I also hear is spectacular.

And I saw the Japanese Blu-spec box for "Pompeii" listed on Amazon.co.uk earlier today.

Dog Ear, Phillip Walch and Myke like this.
  8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Yes glad I didn't take him! Was like a smokers convention in there, I ended up goin solo as my wife didn't want to see the surrogate band. My impression of the show and I guess this is the better place to put them was that I didn't need to go especially and probably since I saw gilmour last year which was the far better concert vs event. I understand people go to see the show and to sing along and that's how the bread gets buttered but that's tragic considering the quality of Rogers latest work which I find to be terrific. Oh well it's most likely the last time I will see him "perform" and I did get fantastic seats that were released and reduced significantly but really it was a literal victory lap for mr waters who pranced about stage and pressed the flesh with the crowd at the end.

mando_dan likes this.
  9. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Amazon offers the Japanese box at very high price - Live at Pompeii (Deluxe Version) [2Blu-spec CD2 + 2Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Music .
    I prefer to order this box-set on the Japanese website - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-31083 .
    Or 2 CD Version [Blu-spec CD2] - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-31087
    The Deluxe Version includes 2 BD, but the version BD - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SIXP-33 - is specified the region A.

wwright likes this.
  10. Myke

These are always Region Free, so everyone can enjoy them. If you're referencing Amazon, they never get the details right.

Billy Infinity and zinan like this.
  11. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Thanks! For me it is very important information.

Myke likes this.
  12. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I saw him at MSG as well with an old college friend. It was fantastic. And I'm taking my father to see Roger at the Garden!! Can't wait!

jumpinjulian and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Myke

You're welcome. I know the frustration of buying discs I couldn't play. Remedied that by buying a region-free DVD player. It was 2008.

14. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Always good to save a few yen - many thanks!

15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

My DVD player supports all regions, but my BD player limits playing by region C

Myke likes this.
  16. Myke

Understood. My Oppo 103 is locked to ' A.' :tiphat: The region free DVD player is amongst the 3 different players I have.

17. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I've got Rattle that Lock on right now. Can't wait for the release of this show. It should be great. Girl in the Yellow Dress just finished. Love that track. :) I remember when On an Island came out, and I was just so disappointed by it. (I did see night 2 at Radio City Music Hall - which was incredible) Anyways, I felt pretty much the same way when Rattle that Lock first came out. And then about 6 months ago, I was thinking about the show I saw in MSG (which was also great) and I realized that I had no right to judge it as a Pink Floyd album. That I was doing myself a disservice by doing so. It's a Gilmour album! And when I finally just listened to it as that, I realized just how magical it really is. Took me a long time see that!

Anyways, really can't wait for the release of this!!

18. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I love that box. Gdansk is a lifer for me. If there was a vinyl box that will remain in our collection for life, it is that.

Dog Ear and wwright like this.
  19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

80 bucks for the vinyl at Amazon US.

wwright likes this.
  20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]
    dave's infamous pedalboard mirror
    (allows him to see the visual cues on big screen behind him)

snkcube, Billy Infinity, CBC and 10 others like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

[​IMG]

Looking at the runtimes from the forthcoming official release (courtesy of A Fleeting Glimpse Forum) and comparing to the runtimes of the audience recording of the second night (which seems to be the main source for the film, as I've yet to see a live clip taken from the first night), I see that David has done some very smart edits to fit all the music into 2 CDs:
    • Gaps between the songs were shortened in pretty much all the tracks;
    • Guitar solo from "Fat Old Sun" was cut about 10 to 20 seconds (unless he played a shorter version on Night #1);
    • Band introductions were cut (David messed them up at Night #2 anyway :D);
    • "The Girl In The Yellow Dress" was axed (fortunately);
    • "Rick is dead" speech was cut (unfortunately);
    • Encore break was cut (as expected);
    On the positive side, we'll get full versions of pretty much all songs (shame about "Fat Old Sun"), including the almighty "Sorrow" :)

Bring on the set, can't wait!

22. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

I preordered the vinyl from Amazon over the weekend. I'm looking forward to this. I'm also hoping David adds some tri state area shows to the calendar this year.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I don't see any of this as being negative at all other than missing a few seconds from Fat Old Sun and that's more of a so what? to me. Can't wait for the cinema screening!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  24. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Me as well, the first 'concert at the cinema' event I've done. Plus I have the deluxe version ordered. Here David, just take my money! :agree:

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Who said anything about being negative, Ron? I even called them "smart edits". Shame about "Fat Old Sun", but it would always be a challenge to fit all that 2nd set plus encores into one disc.

Believe me, you cannot be more excited than me about this ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.