Audio Note UK factory tour & life in the fast lane with Peter Qvortrup, article by Rafe Arnott

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not much ever gets written about Audio Note. Those of us hungry for information about them have discovered that on line there is little to learn (even from the AN website.) When I search for Audio Note gear, Google usually sends me directly to SteveHoffman.TV – Home of Audiophile Mastering Engineer Steve Hoffman which is crazy frustrating.

So this was a treat for me and I really enjoyed the article and video. Captures the spirit of Peter and Audio Note UK quite well. Some people call Audio Note users a cult. Not true, putting the music first is unusual, but it's how it should be. Notice Peter is always about the music, not the gear.

Some laugh at the little concern they have for testing by machine. I find it refreshing that each piece of gear made is tested by ear.

Be sure and watch the video as well!

Part-Time Audiophile Audio Note UK factory tours and Life in the fast lane with Peter Qvortrup

Thanks again, Rafe, for a great article.

2. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Nice to see Mr.Q enjoys Finnish vodka!

black sheriff likes this.
  3. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Really fantastic article. Thanks for sharing! I love seeing a listening room like Qvortrups: overflowing with music and a general feeling of vitality that many listening rooms lack.

Shiver likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good work, Rafe. An excellent article and masses of photos.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Those cabinets certainly look stout! Cool video with lots of people who seem to look pretty happy working for AN.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Nice work, Rafe!

AN seems like a team of people genuinely dedicated to the goal -- the best goal -- of making music come to life.

The fact that good coffee is readily available at all times, makes me consider seeking employment with them! :D

7. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I really enjoyed seeing the video and article as well. Really nice photographic work by Rafe. I think that my favourite part was when the Austrian factory and people were discussed. Very little known about them and it looks like a cool place to work!

8. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Thanks Rafe. Great article.

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

This makes me want the M6Phono and AN CD replay even more.

I just got back from CAS and the best two rooms had Audio Note digital front ends.

I quite liked seeing the speaker manufacturing - wish I could see more.

10. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Great article and video... I particularly enjoyed the Wes Anderson-esque intro at the beginning of the video.

11. Rob Hume

Rob Hume Forum Resident

Excellent Rafa. PQ is a great guy with his customers listening satisfaction always upper most in his mind!

12. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Steve,

Thanks so much for the very kind words, and I'm honoured by the positive response here on the forums to my writing, photographic, and film efforts.

Spending time with Peter is such a treat, and he is such an affable, intelligent, and hilarious gentleman I hoped my little movie would capture some of that spirit.

Everything at Audio Note UK is in service to the music, and as Steve said it is refreshing in this industry to be amongst a manufacturer who focuses so clearly – like a laser really – on the music, and sound rather than the gear. Having spent the time that I have in this business (which relatively speaking to many is not much), I can say that while measurements are important in a certain sense, ultimately they do not tell the whole story when it comes to the musicality of gear (far from it usually), and that I'm learning to trust my ears, and emotions during playback, and not what the spec sheet says.

Thanks again to everyone for the good vibes, and for checking out our website, it's the grassroots support of those on forums like Steve's that make what I do possible.

Cheers,

–Rafe Arnott
    Editor/Creative Director
    Part-Time Audiophile
    Part-Time Audiophile

13. Steve Hoffman

When I spent an evening with Peter Q here in Los Angeles, sitting across the dinner table from him I thought to myself "I could listen to him for hours" because he is that fascinating. And I did, but I held my own with him and we bonded on that memorable night.

Reading this article brought it all back. It's an honor to know such a dedicated guy. People like that are few and far between in our lives. We must cherish them.

bhazen, raferx and Rob Hume like this.
  14. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed the AN room! Of course, I guess it goes without saying that I am prejudiced...

One of the points we were trying to make was the beauty and synergy of an all Audio Note system (well except for the Technics tape deck).

15. Richard Austen

Hi John. My CAS show reports have all been submitted and now just waiting for them to come on the website.

I think some rooms would benefit from people understanding that quality sources and amplifiers actually matter. There are some speakers where you have to make a leap of faith that they might sound better IF they had quality amplifiers and redbook or turntable. And some of these rooms are using very very expensive gear and getting poor results. UHF magazine always touted the source first approach. The best speaker can't fix the passage of time. Speakers can't fix garbage in.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  16. Steve Hoffman

Richard, proofe ths!

Richard Austen likes this.
  17. marka

marka Forum Resident

Nice job. I really enjoyed it.

IanL likes this.
  18. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I have to say that I have been teased on some audio forums because my system is all Audio Note. I didn't choose an all Audio Note system for any other reason other than the fact that the music sounded better every time I added another AN component.

Other than that, the upside is amazing service. I have just emailed Peter/Emily Qvortrup. I was changing my cartridge and accidentally damaged a lead to my Io Gold cartridge. I sent an email to AN on Saturday from Vancouver on Saturday afternoon and received a response from Peter a few hours later!

I received some straight forward but excellent advice from Peter in the middle of the weekend! I am impressed! I'm shipping in my tonearm to fix my issue. Peter cares. Even if you prefer a different sound, it's hard not to be impressed!

19. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Rafe, one person I missed in your excellent video footage, Andy Grove, was he on holiday?

20. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

Finnish Liquorice Vodka no less! :) Peter

21. Peter Qvortrup

Peter Qvortrup Forum Resident

As I think Rafe can tell you there was not enough time to cram in time with Andy and the rest of the technical team, they have a great to say as you can imagine!
    I may invite Rafe over for a second installment next year in time fore the 2018 Munich show, who knows? Peter

Diskhound and Joe Spivey like this.
  22. Matthias

Matthias Member

Thank you very much for this invaluable report, Rafe!
    Especially the report on the speaker production/facility in Austria was completely new and very informative to me.

Big thanks from Germany,
    Matthias

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That sounds like a plan.

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Anybody in the Seattle area have an all-AN system with a digital source (CDP or DAC) ...?

25. Richard Austen

I would suggest making the trip to Soundhounds in Victoria BC. There is a ferry that goes from Seattle directly to Victoria and back. Phone or email ahead for opening hours and to have them setup what you want to hear. The only thing is if you stay overnight hotels are getting ridiculous.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.