My PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium Preamplifier just died...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rob Jenkins, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Jenkins

Rob Jenkins Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just switched it on this morning and - nothing. I've only had it since March :cry:

It made a slight noise when I turned the power on (but just the usual noise it always makes i.e. of an electrical component coming to life) and then it just died. I've changed the fuse in the power supply, but nothing.

I'm thinking maybe I turned the preamp on with the power amp already on. Would that be enough to kill it though? I always turn the volume right down before powering up and the PrimaLune auto mutes for a minute...

Guess I'll have to speak to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they can sort me out, but I could do without this hassle.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Keep us updated on how the dealer treats you. I am thinking of a PL. did you buy thru Upscale Audio?

3. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I am curious about this too, since I also own a PL Dialogue preamp. I doubt that you powering on your amp had anything to do with it.

timind likes this.
  4. Rob Jenkins

Hi, no, I'm in the UK so bought it from a distributor here. I was actually thinking of emailing Kevin Deal as he seems to know the product inside out.

5. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Kevin would know since he is Prima Luna here in the US.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Unlikely the power up sequence caused the problem. The proper sequence is designed to protect the power amp. Good luck with the amp.

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

One of my amps is a Decware Troii Jr. It had been on for a couple of days. I decided to turn it off early in the afternoon, a few weeks back.

I went to turn it back on, a few hours later. I flipped the power switch and nothing. No tubes lighting up. No starting up sounds, just nothing.

I pulled out the fuse and it appeared to be OK. But I put a meter on the fuse to check it and the fuse was still intact.

This amp is in pristine condition, what gives?

The only thing that I can think of is the power switch went south?

I really doubt that there is anything significantly wrong with the amplifier, just one of those stupid, irritating things that come with ownership of tube amplifiers.

Manimal and timind like this.
  8. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

None the less far far easier to diagnose and fix in a hand wired decware than in a big solid state gadget. No contest an that account. Hope both of your issues are only small. I have a vintage sovtek mig 60 guitar amp out of commission right now lol. Ive got other amps so its been sitting but hey, that makes three of us.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Rob Jenkins

Ok, so I've just read the manual. I've only changed the fuse on the plug, looks like I need to change the mains fuse:

No output. Power is on, but power LED is off and tubes do not light up. Mains fuse is out. Replace fuse as per instructions on page 11.

Mains Fuse: The mains fuse is located on the rear of the preamplifier, just below the power cord socket (see picture on this page). The fuse rating is 1 x Littelfuse® 213 Series 1A Slo-Blo® 5 x 20 mm fuse for 100-120VAC and Littelfuse® 213 Series 0.5A Slo-Blo® 5 x 20 mm fuse for 200-240VAC. Replace with the same type and value fuse! The fuse holder can be snapped out using a small slotted flat blade screwdriver.

Now I just need to work out where I can get a 'Littelfuse® 213 Series 0.5A Slo-Blo® 5 x 20 mm fuse' or equivalent similar. (I'm no electronics expert...)

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Check for a second, internal fuse on the heater supply.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If you changed the one near the power cord, you likely have changed the mains fuse. It should be about a 2a fuse. The .5a fuse is most likely a HT fuse. Either would cause no sound to be produced but only the mains fuse would cause all power indicator lights to not work.
    -Bill

12. Rob Jenkins

Panic over :D

I got hold of the recommended 0.5A 5mm x 20mm glass fuse today and it's done the trick.

I've made a note of the correct power on / off sequence to try and help prevent future blowouts.

Manimal, strymeow and octaneTom like this.
  13. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Prima Luna designs their fuses to go easily in order to save transformers...at least that was the case with their integrated that I had...said so they in the manual.

14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Great. Another amp I'm looking at is Decware

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Despite this stupid thing not powering up, I really like Decware products.

I bought mine used so this particular aspect of ownership does not apply to me but they have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. How do you beat that?

I also have their 3.9-watt Mini Torii and their tube phono preamp.

All are excellent products.

16. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

My Prologue 2 is 10 years old now, nothing has gone wrong

17. technotim

technotim New Member

To Rob-

I wish you the best with your "prima luna". I work for a small sales/repair shop in so-cal, and we have had our share of Prima Luna products in our shop.

Customer service and warranty repair from the US distributor (Kevin Deal and Upscale Audio) is very inconsistent despite what you read online about them. Ive spoken to many of their "ex-customers" over the years and its quite sad to hear the stories.

If its any consolation, be glad your dealer is in the UK.

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

What are the “biggie” issues you run into with PL?

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my Rogue...twice. In both cases, it was the bridge rectifier. Replacing it fixed the problem.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Dude joined here and made one post filled with grammatical errors and slagging PrimaLuna. I wouldn't let that person touch a Crosley if I owned one.

technotim and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Just replace the mains fuse first

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.