Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

2. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

She (1984) - In a backward post-apocalyptic world, She aids two brothers' quest to rescue their kidnapped sister. Along the way, they battle orgiastic werewolves, a psychic communist, a tutu-wearing giant, a mad scientist, and gladiators before standing against the odds to defeat the evil Norks.

The Call of Cthulhu
    (2005) - a modern, silent, black & white tale of Lovecraft's most famous eldritch alien God

Robocop (1987) - This sci-fi retelling of Frankenstein was so violent it became the first X rated film without a sex scene. The bad guy is the dad from That 70s Show.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - This movie gets a lot of guff because of Keanu Reeve's (awful) acting, but look past him and you get a great Gary Oldman, Billy Campbell, and Richard Grant. Monica Belucci and Sadie Frost boobies! Tom Waits is in it as a cannibal! Anthony Hopkins is over-the-top, scene stealing, and awesome. Now, get past the great cast and you have 100% in-camera special effects. Cinematography that , instead of watching "a movie", you're watching the worlds most elaborate stage-play which happens to have been filmed. Even the score by Wojiach Kilar is a reference CD that will never leave my collection.

Rhapsody In Red and Ghostworld like this.
  3. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Robocop (1987) - A Movie You Love That No One Else Does? You are kidding, right?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's an odd one to pick: big hit in 1987 and still much beloved 30 years later.

"BS's Dracula" also is a weird pic: it sold a lot of tickets and got good reviews... :shrug:

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, it was rated "R". They cut out some violence to get it an "R"...

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This would never have caught my eye until yesterday.

Was reading an article in the most recent issue of New Mexico magazine, and they had a story on the author Jack Schaefer, who wrote Monte Walsh (along with Shane and many other westerns).

Schaefer had moved to New Mexico in 1954 and was deeply influenced by his experiences there - supposedly the character Monte Walsh was based on a teenage boy on the next ranch, Archie West.

I'll have to see if TCM will be showing this sometime - I thinked I've passed it over in the past.

8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Elektra - Not sure why this got such bad reviews. I love it.

S1M0NE - I may be the only person who has actually seen this. Really good performance by Al Pacino.

Cyborg - A B-level flick that I think manages to rise above. Love the synth score!

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I have S1M0NE in my collection. Watched it once and it was okay, didn't really love it, didn't really hate it. I guess I need to watch it again.

I saw Cyborg at the theater and it was okay. I enjoyed the sequel more, although it seemed to have nothing to do with the original.

10. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Tideland" by Terry Gilliam seems to draw a lot of ire, not least because of the interaction between the girl and the boy.
    I find it a beautiful, magical film well worth a revival (I got the BR from Britain.)

"A Bronx Tale", directed by Robert DeNiro from Chazz Palminteri's play.
    It's dismissed a lot as a sentimental vanity project, but if one accepts the idea that it is viewed as a childhood memory, it plays just like that. Warm and funny.

"The Rum Diary". Johnny Depp (older) plays Hunter S. Thompson (younger). Did this one even get a theatre release? If so, it vanished very quickly. A 'prequel' to "Fear and Loathing" with Giovanni Ribisi hilarious as the drunken bum who works with Thompson at the paper. It's not a 'big' film, nor a great one, but it has some excellent stuff in it.

"Two Deaths"...this is by Nicholas Roeg, done for the BBC in 1996, and released as a feature; it's an allegorical tale about nobleman and his housekeeper (Michael Gambon and Sonia Braga) in an unnamed country at war.
    The film is not everyone's cup of tea, but with poor reviews, it has more or less been forgotten. I have been looking for a re-issue of it for years to see if it still registers as strongly with me.

C.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The Rum Diary got a theatre release, albeit extremely limited I'd reckon- I think it only played at the Garneau Theatre here (Edmonton's designated "Art House" cinema), not in any of the big multiplexes or anything. Took my eventual wife to go see it on one of our first dates- HST is my favourite writer and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is one of my favourite films, so The Rum Diary sorta seemed like a no brainer at the time. I must admit me and the missus had a hard time staying awake through the film- how you can make a Hunter S Thompson adaptation starring Johnny Depp boring (in our opinions) I have no idea but those particular filmmakers managed to do it. The book is way better.

Mind ya, my wife hated Fear And Loathing... when I eventually showed it to her. Of course, she's never read the book or done any sort of illegal drug in her life so a lot of the references and whatnot were completely lost on her:laugh:...fair enough, I suppose. FALILV certainly isn't a film for everyone.

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My Stepmother is an Alien. :hide:

Rhapsody In Red and Michael like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

We saw it in the theater. I'm a Hunter nut, and heard how bad Fear and Loathing was. Ribisi was excellent. A little cartoonish in spots, but I thought it was pretty good.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

liked it!

15. Solitaire1

I liked it too.

Michael likes this.
  16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I can sit through it just for the novelty of seeing super-young Willow and Oz dating but it really doesn't hold up as a film.

Now THAT one holds up as a great film! I only have the Canadian DVD - when it first came out rumours were being spread that it was the only edition in the correct aspect ratio. The rumours were false.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My favorite Dracula film. :D

Claus LH likes this.
  18. Solitaire1

It's In The Bag starring Fred Allen.

The opening:

19. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

This movie's great.

20. Michael

that makes 3!

21. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Maybe 4, I've never seen it before, because of you guys I just ordered the DVD, you're killing me!

22. Michael

hopefully you will feel the same way after watching it...

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I saw Delusion. I liked it.

24. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I thought Bad Lieutenant was boring, but Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is one of my top 10 all-time favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.