Flash Gordon (1980)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 17, 2017.

1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Anyone else love this film? I can watch it anytime. People either love it or hate it. Caught it on MGM last night.

Favorite things:

1) FLASH! AHHHHHH!
    2) Ornella Muti in that skimpy outfit as Princess Aura :drool:
    3) Melody Anderson in Dale Arden's wedding dress :righton:
    4) Max Von Sydow as Ming :righton:
    5) Peter Wyngarde as Klytus :cheers:

Forget...I could go on and on...this movie has everything.

My favorite little tidbit: When Ming is about to marry Dale, the spaceship outside flies by dragging a banner reading "All creatures will make merry"...followed by another one reading "Under pain of death"...too funny!

If you're a fan, what's your favorite moment/scene?

Thwacko, scobb, JayNYC and 6 others like this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Love it. Probably favorite part is the end battle with the Hawkmen and the that great Queen music.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I saw it in the theater the week it came out. One of the most memorable movie experiences of my life. I went out and bought the soundtrack immediately afterwards.

4. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Love this movie! The campy-ness, the soundtrack, the great cast, all of it.

I always liked the fight scene between Flash and Baron at the Prince Vultan's palace.

5. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Oh man, it's been many years since I watched it. It was a staple on HBO in the early eighties. I loved it, though I'm guessing I'd find it cheesy today.

My favorite scene? When Flash is challenged to stick his arm into that rock thing, knowing they're is some deadly biting creature somewhere inside. The other guy should have known you never challenge the star of the movie! :D

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Loved it when it was released at the theatre and used to watch it every time it was on HBO. The Hawkmen were my favorites and I also think the future James Bond (Timothy Dalton) and Max Von Sydow were both good in their roles. Queen's music, the directing, the outdated special effects and good use of color, the actors, and script all blend nicely into its campiness, giving it that old serial feel.

My teenage self at the time also had a thing for Melody Anderson.

(Maybe Flash Gordon can come back to Earth to Quarterback the New York Jets this season. ;) )

My favorite scene is the "flying into battle" scene in which the Hawkmen are flying with (flanking) Flash Gordon on his little flying speeder with Queen's music playing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    oxia, seed_drill and RK2249 like this.
  7. RK2249

All great moments above.

I love how Aura's pet is named Fellini (who was actually asked to direct the movie at one point, apparently).

Also love Ming's look during the wedding when the guy performing the ceremony asks "Do you promise not to blast her into space?"...to which he then adds "Until such time as you grow weary of her"

neo123 and Strummergas like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Love it! Like @neo123 I watched it on HBO every time it was on when I was a kid. I had the 45 for the Flash Theme with Football Fight on the flip side. Last year I found the soundtrack on 180 gram vinyl cheap and bought it although the packaging was a bit different. Also picked it up on BluRay. One of my all time childhood favorites.

And I never did see the movie Ted but a friend pointed this out. Love it!!

RK2249 likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

I also read somewhere that Sam Jone's voice was overdubbed by someone else. Not sure if that is true or not. Here is another funny Ted clip:

RK2249 likes this.
  10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Wow. I checked out Wikipedia, and this movie has an interesting history...

Fellini had the rights to Flash, but decided not to make it.

George Lucas tried to make a Flash movie in the 70s, but couldn't get the rights.

Nicolas Roeg was hired but wasn't happy with the movie and pulled out.

Sergio Leone was asked to direct, but didn't think the script was faithful to the comics.

Quite a list of directors for a campy B-flick!

11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Also, another Flash Gordon movie is supposedly in the works.

RK2249 likes this.
  12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

1. Any scene with Ornella Muti
    1a. Hawkman "Dive!!!"
    1b. Flash "playing football with Ming's guards
    1c. Death-match with 007
    1c. The end battle

I absolutely love this movie.

Love Queen's music.
    Love Timothy Dalton.
    Love Sam Jones.
    LOVE LOVED ORNELLA MUTI !

bluesbro, Strummergas and RK2249 like this.
  13. MikeInFla

Reboot I assume? Could never be as cool as this version!

RK2249 likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Absolutely love it. One of my favorite camp classics. As usual, the bad girl (Princess Aura) is always hotter than the good girl (Dale Arden).

The homage Ted (the Seth McFarlane movie) paid to Flash Gordon was great.

MikeInFla and RK2249 like this.
  15. RK2249

Yes. Supposedly Sam Jones was complaining about not being paid so he refused to come into the recording studio to loop the movie, so they got someone else.

16. RK2249

Yes, the stuff in Ted is great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    MikeInFla likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Just like the Queen song. That is all....

18. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

What a great film! We borrowed it from a video library at our local corner shop when I was little and I remember writing about it on Monday morning when we had to write up what we did at the weekend. I think my mum still had that diary. I drew a picture of the spaceship they landed in too! I used to get freaked out by the arm dipping bit and I still get nervous even though I know how it goes. The football scene is great fun and the music is epic on a level only queen could ever pull off. But the absolute favourite for me is just about every scene Brian blessed is in! Any fans should Chen out his book, absolute pandemonium, as it has a great chapter about the making of the film. Even better, get the audiobook so you can get the full majesty of him booming "GORDON'S ALIVE!!!" several times. It's pure gold

Texastoyz, MikeInFla and RK2249 like this.
  19. Have it on laserdisc! Saw it in the theaters for 1$ in 1985ish...the whole audience sang along to the theme song.. Great times

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My grandmother took me to see it when I was in First Grade, and I think it caused her to go deaf.

RK2249 and Grunge Master like this.
  21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I remember being about 5 and watching it. I loved the music, and I remember at one point some guy gets thrown onto some spikes, and his eyes pop out or something.

RK2249 likes this.
  22. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yeah, its good cheesy comic book fun.

RK2249 likes this.
  23. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Saw it on the recommendation of an older cousin by written letter (how times have changed!).

Saw it in the theater in a double feature after Robin Williams's Popeye (might have been a "sneak in" double feature?).

Favorite scene not yet mentioned: The fight with Timothy Dalton on the tilting disc with spikes coming up and the void off the edges.

Have and loved the soundtrack (on vinyl of course, back then and all) and overdubbed on a Sanyo cassette deck (the kind found in school rooms) the scene where he says "Flash Gordon - quarterback New York Jets" with "Giants!"

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

RK2249 likes this.