The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

It's entirely possible that your system has way too much midrange. Or your system might be great and you just prefer the sound of smiley EQ.

Nothing wrong with that. But make no mistake, it's one of those two options if you like the MFSL Beatles records.

JP Christian likes this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My comments were a statement of personal observation, not defending anyone's argument. The MFSL Beatles set had excess high frequency equalisation added due to MFSL's head honcho (at that time) having accident caused high frequency loss. According to Stan Ricker, who was forced to master them brighter than he wanted. A good system will still allow you to like those MFSL albums, despite their verifiable brightness. A bad system will simply say - too bright, hurts my ears. It was one of the unexpected turns my journey into HiFi took as I improved my system many years ago.

JP Christian likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Give the new PEPPER 2017 mix vinyl a spin tonight than maybe the 2014 mono PEPPER vinyl after.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Someone posted recently that the soundcheck function on iTunes when burning the CD helps it sound less harsh.

5. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I don't have recording the Beatles to hand at the moment, the piano and acoustic guitar on the intro to Lovely Rita where they locked together on the same track and de-mixed? If so it's changed the whole character of the intro and not for the better IMO.

6. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Is there something wrong with you?

7. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Just returned from my hols, playing the CD stereo remix and after chilling in Ibiza what a great way to end my hols, reference quality audio pumping from my headphones, (wife is watching Big Brother :mad:).

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

But then I'd have to go and buy a turntable and, for me, if you'll pardon the cliche, that ship has sailed....

9. Sgt Pepper

In which way?

Second-hand good quality turntables are abundant now!

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I think you are confusing personal attacks with criticism of the product.

The gorts did not ban the latter.

If they did, this forum would be utterly pointless, don't you think?

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Never to late.;)

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  12. Sgt Pepper

Ah right, me saying that the remix is as good as it gets and yours that it was was too loud was just your opinion.
    Well, my opinion is Giles did another fantastic release.

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Burning or ripping?

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

C'mon man - it's time to stop the repeated hyperbole, or I suspect this thread will be permanently shut . It's NOT ever going to be reference quality, but it's still a reasonably good recording. Especially not the CD version. Not even on the Stax or Beyerdynamic headphones I have. It's maximized. It's not horrible, however.

Tim Müller and swedgin like this.
  15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I feel like a damn school teacher. Guys please stop the bickering. And it doesn't help when members "like" a bickering/goading post either. What's the point of doing that? The thread was locked because of the bickering and back-and-forth crap that was ruining the thread. To everyone: It's OK to have a negative opinion and post your thoughts. Threads aren't closed for that reason. And it's also OK to challenge someone's opinion. It's never OK to personally insult a fellow member. And I would suggest it's just poor taste to call out engineers and producers, especially when they can't defend themselves or their decisions. Ron

16. Sgt Pepper

I agree, picked up an excellent Project P2 a short while ago, it sounds fantastic with the Ortofon 510 MKII. Makes Pepper sing, excuse the pun.;)

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I expressed a positive opinion about a You Tube review, which I felt encapsulated very eloquently my views on the stereo remix.

I wasn't aware of you or your opinions when I did so.

I am baffled as to why you are taking offence.

lukpac likes this.
  18. Sgt Pepper

What hyperbole?

19. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

All Sgt. Pepper has been doing is spouting the same hyperbole over and over and over, arrogantly asserting his position and insulting those who dislike the remix.

My posts have been direct responses to this ridiculousness.

Perhaps removing him from the thread would solve that problem.

Tim Müller and bobcat like this.
  20. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

IMHO, the CD really really is. Dreadful beyond words. But so what, nobody really cares when others disagree with them.

lance b, Tim Müller and bobcat like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The soundcheck option in iTunes does not in anyway affect the sound other than what a volume knob does. But the mastered for iTunes version is slightly better than the cd. Still nowhere near as good as the vinyl though.

Gila likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Remember the 20th anniversary SPLHCB cd release it was a huge deal.

This 50th anniversary is such a revelation to me in sound. I like all the pepper releases before 2017 but this release is pretty cool

If someone doesn't like the new mix at least it's another alternative of listening to SPLHCB. IMHO :D

DmitriKaramazov and Sgt Pepper like this.
  23. Sgt Pepper

I forgot to add that there are some real bargains on HiFi Wigwam if you are in the UK.

24. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

This makes sense. If you don't list your gear, nobody knows where you're coming from.
    I listed my modest equipment (doubtless giving the audiophiles a quiet snigger) and I have several times referred to the age of my ears (which, coincidentally are the same age as myself - over 70.)
    Maybe it's my loss of high-frequency stuff, and maybe it's because I never owned a sub-woofer until a few months ago and I am gone a bit bass crazy, but I can hold my head up high and say: I really like the new Sgt Pepper remix.

25. Sgt Pepper

Playing it again while downing a few Vodka/ Tonics now mate. Life is good and this mix complements it.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.