The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Nice table. There's a restored one done with cherry for sale right now on one of the sites, looks very nice ...

[​IMG]

Archguy, tank64, Funky54 and 10 others like this.
  2. My non humming Project RPM10. Table is original version of this model and now several years old but all I need at this stage. Finish is excellent and build quality high, problems, nil. Have fitted one belt in that time and I do remove the platter about once a year and lightly lube the bearing with Project oil.
    The table sits on a stand spiked through carpet onto concrete. I'm no light weight but can jump up and down next to it without causing a ripple of concern.

Currently running a Dynavector XX-2 in the Project arm and a Hana SL in the Wand arm. Just waiting for an AT33mono cartridge to arrive. Original premise was to fit this to the Wand but its combo with the Hana is sounding so good that it could be the XX-2 that gets replaced.
    The Hana is a pretty light cart and I had to add a 2gm weight to the head shell to get within my preferred tracking force. For those of eagle eye at the time of these photos
    the arm was running without the weight.
    Only downside of the Hana for me is the lack of a threaded body so it gets to be a rather tricky operation fitting the cart, weight and extra long screws which must be done with the stylus guard off. Having an easy dis-mountable unipivot arm is a lot of help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eis01, Archguy, vinnn and 28 others like this.
  3. Davey

And a couple pictures of my Clearaudio Avantgarde, sporting a Concept MC with Soundsmith boron/line contact retip (cartridge came courtesy of the hardware for sale forum here). It's a beautiful table, with two polished 20mm slabs of clear acrylic sandwiching an aluminum plate, 40mm thick acrylic platter riding on a ceramic magnetic bearing, Satisfy carbon fibre tonearm, and isolated motor in a heavy machined housing. I'm building a base for it right now of three 16" x 20" tempered glass cutting boards with a thin layer of clear silicone adhesive between each for damping, then felt pads on the bottom, not sure yet how it will turn out, but not much money invested since the cutting boards only cost about $10 each ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spinning in the pictures above, Coldharbourstores Wilderness from earlier this year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Oh.My.Gawd. It's like my Marantz TT-15, only much, much more betterer. Drool-a-liscious. BOOM!

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Davey

Yea, it's pretty fun. It's a Dec 2008 build, but in mint condition, hardly used, picked it up for only $1100 without cartridge. It's like a $4000 table now, really nice. Love it :)

snorker likes this.
  6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

My Technics SL-1200G, with a Clearaudio Concept MC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Beautiful 'table and a great cartridge. I'm using one repurposed from a Concept turntable on my SL-1200G. I wonder if it sounds any different after the Soundsmith re-tip.

8. Davey

No idea really, I've never heard the stock one, but the retip is pretty similar so I doubt it sounds too much different. The incentive for me was the aluminum/magnesium/ceramic body, boron cantilever and line contact stylus, and the nice price. The seller didn't try it out after getting it back from Soundsmith, so hard to know if it changed much. Hopefully it's comparable to a new one.

9. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Me like very very much! Can you kindly snap a pic of the other arms back side? I'd like to see its configuration please.

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Cart was a steal - sealed and unused for $125. You're right about the cover - it's a PITA.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Ikea cutting boards = Swedish plinth! Too cool!

Mad shadows likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Good to see you here, Mister Pig!

~ aka "beatcomber"

14. Best I can do as I can't get around the back of the table.
    Check out the installation videos on the Wand website that should give you a good look at the arm.

The Wand Data

[​IMG]

Gavinyl, PhilBiker, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  15. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Thank you! So how does that tone arm sound in comparison to the Pro Ject tone arm that came with the table?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I'm sure it is. The line contact stylus and boron cantilever are a winning combination, particularly for reducing inner groove distortion.

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I bought an unopened M57EJ for $50. I'm watching for an unused HE stylus but it's been a while with no luck. I'll settle for an ED at this point.

18. Davey

You're right, that's one of the reasons I wanted it, I'm kind of partial to that type of cantilever and stylus at the moment, in fact I have three of them in use, this Clearaudio Concept MC, Benz Micro Wood SL, and Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. This one is the newest of the bunch, and likely falls somewhere between the Benz and AT. My main table right now is the modified Thorens 320 with the Benz Wood (shown with old Benz Glider earlier in thread), but I'll probably move the Clearaudio to that spot because I want to modify the tonearm on the Thorens to allow some azimuth adjustment, so it may get the Benz, not sure yet, may just leave it with the Concept and get some hours on it. It does seem to fit with the table.

19. Difficult to say much at this stage as I'm still fine turning the Wand and the arms are running different cartridges and different cables. As well the Wand's phono cable is RCA to XLR into the phono stage which is another possible point of difference. I've been so used to the more conventional set up procedure of the Project arm that I'm having to do some rethinking dealing with a unipivot .
    Suffice to say that at this very early stage the Wand/Hana combo is loosing little, if anything, to the Project/Dyna.

Slippers-on likes this.
  20. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Your presentation of your table and cartridge is absolutely stunning! The pics are as good as pics could be and the turntable is magnificent, thanks for sharing with everyone, wish I had one of those, oh yes!!

H8SLKC and PhilBiker like this.
  21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

How do you like the Benz Micro? I was considering one...maybe the Wood low output. How does it compare to the Concept?

22. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Vertere SG-1 Record Player with SG-1 tonearm:

[​IMG]

23. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

24. Davey

Wow!

OldSoul and Litejazz53 like this.
  25. Davey

I'm kind of a sucker for Benz, been using a series of their carts since the mid 90s, so can't be very impartial, I love that somewhat romantic sound, and the Wood has a lot of it. I haven't compared the Benz and Clearaudio in the same system yet, let alone the same table, so way too early to tell. To be honest, I'd be happy to only have the Benz Wood, it's just about perfect for me, but having more than one system necessitates some budgetary compromises :)

I'll try to post some words when I do get around to a meaningful comparison.

Wow, that's a very kind thing to say, thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures :)

Litejazz53 and snorker like this.