Sgt Pepper Not Voted Best Album Shock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Could never figure out how they come up with that top 50, I guess it's a mix of the RYM rating and number of ratings, altho some with fewer ratings rate highly on the list.

2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

In 2016 Apple did some internal polling.

And then in 2017, Apple did some more internal polling...

Revolver, there's always 2066!

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have somewhere between 30 and 35 of the LPs, being old enough to know most of them. Obviously the list is very classic-rock heavy but I would rather listen to Different Class by Pulp, Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello or any '60s or '70s Genesis or Moody Blues than many of them. For starters ...

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  4. Do you really believe that?

5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

It is a first-person statement: "Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl than to be with another man." is the first line.

I'm over 55. My parents were pretty cool and bought us a few Beatles albums (Second Album, Help!, Revolver, SPLHCB, Yellow Submarine, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road and Let It Be). I didn't hear "Run for Your Life" until I bought the record in the early eighties, and I was disgusted by it right away.

I grew up in the sixties and seventies in Cambridge, Massachusetts. During the time I went from a boy to a teenager, this type of lyric went from a bit off-color ("sick humor") to way, way beyond the line. I don't give a damn what Lennon's intent was. I was raised to believe that anyone female over 16 was a woman, not a little girl, and that hitting women was one of the worst things a man could do, period. I don't care that the girls sang along. Girls and women can be as stupid as boys and men.

Whenever I queue up this album, I skip the last song.

6. Putnam39

Putnam39 Well-Known Member

And you state subjectives as if they were fact

7. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

@jon9091 your point would be valid if you got your facts right. The first top 5 was posted in 2015. The second top 5 was were the the votes for this poll were posted. People who get their kicks knocking something that others enjoy have several names that can be applies to them. None of them are flattering.

The reason I am going to run a poll were voters can post up to 20 choices is in the hope that artists/bands that didn`t figure in the 50 may have a chance to do so. How so? Many people posted more than 5 choices and those bands/artists figured in their choices*. This idea may not work but I will have enjoyed compiling it, as I hope others will enjoy reading and discusing it. Those trolls can go and feck themselves.

*A implistic analogy, so it goes.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My facts are fine, thank you.
    I didn't say the polls were started at the same time. The original poll was started in 2015, and is still an open thread that people were contributing to as of May 2017. Then the second thread was started in July 2017. Now, we have two threads with the exact same title. The point... not many people contributed to the second, because we already have that poll. Since you were the one who decided to tally the second poll, and post the results...perhaps you should have included the first as well.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Aftermath and richierichie like this.
  9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Absolutely

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. richierichie

That you pointed out that the second top was 5 currently still running was correct but had you bothered to check you would have found that the second top 5 was the source for thr poll results. It is also still being contributed to but I posted on that thread that I would be taking no more votes.

I do not wish for this to become a `tit for tat` exchange, I say this before I go any further. Had I been aware of the other thread I would have contacted the OP to ask permission to use that thread`s results also, as I did with the OP of the thread I used. Using BOTH THREADS to collate the votes would have been a great idea. However that bird has flown.

I also stated that I was collating this poll for fun, it was practise for the larger poll I plan to carry out. You have to be aware that those two threads were simply asking for `Your top 5 albums of all time` with no mention of a poll. The poll I plan to run will be the first `Greatest Album Poll` I am aware of since I joined this forum in 2013.

I know I am repeating myself but why are people coming on this thread and complaining. Has it caused you some distress and/or pain? Get a bloody life and start enjoying it!

11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think Sgt. Pepper's wins the "poll" of what album has gotten the most attention, a new remix, and a Major Product Offering...upon the occasion and celebration of its 50th anniversary.

Perhaps other...newer or older albums...may...one of these days...win such a "poll".

The other albums can still aspire to such an honor.

12. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

What I state is only my opinion, yes. Same as you, which is fine.

13. Still, knowing that every bit of pop culture from 50 years ago is still discussed today ad infinitum? Or, is it because of your dislike for Radiohead?

14. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Do you mean as in...."Progressive Rock"....

I mean the intricate, complicated, detailed, beautiful......

as in.....

What a snowflake is.

Remember...those who might call someone a 'snowflake'...don't really know what they're saying. It's a compliment to that 'snowflake'...because of the unbelievable beauty of their construction. And of course...the opposite of 'snowflake' could be....coal dust soot, incinerator smoke...black and opaque...nasty to the eye and senses. I like to point that out who derogatorily call someone a snowflake and it's puts them in their place. Of course...I'm going to assume your being facetious/jokingly...and realize the blunder of those who are 'serious'. ;)

And what's funny about some other posts too.....

Someone mentioned jokingly, of course, about the diversity of 50s , 60s and 70s music. Funny how true it is..but I get the idea they think not. Mmmmmm....

psychtrailmix likes this.
  15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

How could Oasis have ever been the biggest band in the world if they didn't even make this poll?

16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

No mention of Never Mind the Bollocks... yet Nevermind is present?? This is really the same old titles just re-shuffled around. I've still yet to meet anyone who actually listens to Patti Smith's Horses on any kind of semi-regular basis.

17. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

You've just met 4 of them.

strummer101, RogerB and mj_patrick like this.
  18. richierichie

`Bollocks` was bubbling under. when I phoned Mr Rotten for a comment he replied "Bollocks", then added "Never mind".

Aftermath and mj_patrick like this.
  19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I didn't. I'd love to hear why it's one of the best albums of all time, actually.

20. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

:laugh:

21. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Well do you see any mid-90's albums on it :)

BadJack likes this.
  22. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

That one certainly should. PAC&J is a stone cold CLASSIC.

qm1ceveb likes this.
  23. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

That would be because they aren't even close to the biggest band, silly! That's just a troll thread.

24. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Not sure what all the hubbub is about this poll. Sure there's a few albums here and there that I would have added or removed but overall it looks like a pretty good list.

Just shows you how many members here have GREAT taste in music.

qm1ceveb likes this.
  25. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

Now THAT is a good album.
    A very talented man in or out of the music scene. Such an inventive composer, lyricist and arranger/producer. Just another unsung talent like Andrew Gold....and...I am quite sure there are and were many others.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.