The Who in concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dudley07726, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident Thread Starter

watched some Live Who today (Charlton 74, 77 Kilburn, 75 Texas). To me, they blow LZ away on live. Just fantastic. Except for JE, they were really entertaining on stage. Much more so than Zeppelin. After the Beatles, they're my favorite band. Really miss Moon. They were never the same afterwards and they knew it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I particularly like the 2014 release of Live at Leeds and the Isle of Wight 1970 performance of Tommy. I haven't listened to a whole lot of live Who outside of 1969 and 1970.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

thats a lot of who. got woodstock queued up.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

London Coliseum '69 (from that Kilburn DVD) is my favorite officially released Who concert video.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just saw the Who at Outside Lands, and compared to classic era Who, they are a shadow of what they were. That said, they blew every other band I saw at the festival away. Because of the song catalog and because they know how to rock. Even my brother, who is hardly the biggest Who fan (unlike me) thought they were the best. In fact, he said it first. Just a truly great live unit, even now with all the age, wear and tear. The Tommy sequence is practically a religious experience for me.

Who writes songs like that anymore?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    2141, Fullbug, bluemooze and 18 others like this.
  6. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Jaw-dropping good, even with the less-than-stellar lighting/video quality. The moment halfway through "Sparks" when Pete hits that huge E (?) chord blows me away every single time I watch it.

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

A friend of mine was able to take that London Coliseum '69 footage from the official dvd and at least put the footage altogether on a dvdr in it's correct concert order, which helps enhance the viewing pleasure a bit. But yes, once you are able to look past the rough audio & video quality, one is able to witness The Who at their true prime and there's nothing better than that!

8. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Tanglewood 1970

9. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

My only complaint about Tanglewood '70 is that they didn't play Summertime Blues & Shakin All Over! It's too short! But yes, more proof that the original line-up was the greatest live rock band of all time.

10. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

The best live band in history. I love their music but I've heard and seen few bands who's live stuff is so superior to their recordings.

11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Go and see Wilco.

12. wavethatflag

I went to Solid Sound this year, and as I type this, cannot easily count the amount of Wilco shows I've been to, although it's less than a dozen I think.

Wilco ain't the Who, although I really do like Wilco.

Edit: The first time I saw Wilco was at the Phoenix Concert Theatre in TO! You may appreciate that. I hear it's closed now.

13. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

With all due respect, I saw Wilco this summer and, while it was a great show, it did not come remotely close to what the WHO were able to achieve in a live setting....and I was only able to see them on the much-maligned 1989 tour!

14. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Best live rock band ever. Nobody even comes close.

15. wavethatflag

Wilco is really good. I have even referred to "Spiders/Kidsmoke" as their "Won't Get Fooled Again." And Kotche is probably the best rock 'n' roll drummer now performing (other than Charlie Watts).

But the Who, well, they broke the mold.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

young mans blues....damn!

kevin5brown and ash1 like this.
  17. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I agree with you about Wilco. I too have seen them several times, my favorite being a small club show on the Summerteeth tour, but as you said, the Who are/were on a whole different level.

Dave Hoos and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

In my (our) opinion of course. If someone likes Wilco more than the Who, I have not much to say about that.

Spazaru and Echoes71 like this.
  19. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

The Stones with Mick Taylor circa 1972-73 were probably the best live rock n roll band ever, but nothing beats The Who's Live at Leeds Complete!

20. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

You don't have to jump around and flail arms to be entertaining on stage, just sayin

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I agree with you completely, but The Who tapped into something entirely unique during their prime years. I have never really thought of the flailing and jumping as "putting on a show", though undoubtedly there are elements of showmanship there. To me, it's all an extension of the energy of their playing (combined with the volume and, of course, the songs), creating a rush for the listener (and performer!) that simply is exhilarating. Visually, they are my favorite live band, but I don't need to watch videos to get that rush----it comes through the music, first and foremost.

22. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were at least up there. The tapes from the Boston Tea Party, New Orleans and others from January 1970 to May 1970 when Peter left are remarkable. I was (and remain) shocked that PGFM is not more highly revered. The live versions of Rattlesnake Shake, Oh Well, Green Manalishi, Stranger Blues, Loving Kind and many others are immaculately played and sung.
    I won't try and pretend that visually, it's possible to beat the sight of The Who laying into Young Man Blues for example, but listening to concert tapes, Green Mac are way better than their records and deserve far more recognition.

23. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

What a great thread! I absolutely love The Who. I remember when i was a kid and i was watching tv and suddenly i catch the movie "The Kids Are Alright" in the part of Baba or Won't Get Fooled Again. In that time The Beatles were my favorite band (and they still are) and i knew the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, but when i saw that movie i felt the excitement that the band brings, i felt new, i felt that i was watching something that would change my life forever. It is a unique feeling that only The Who give me till today They were so fantastic, great songs, great show. What they made was art. Townshend is a genius ant the greatest guitar showman. Moon was the same, only he could play drums like him. Entwistle stand still but his fingers were running faster than Bolt. And only Roger Daltrey could sing songs like Baba O'Riley and Love Reign O'er Me. No one else. And those songs are hard to sing with that power.
    If The Beatles are my number 1, The Who are a close number 2.

Alert, JimSpark, Sluggy and 5 others like this.
  24. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

The Who were great, I wasn't alive during their Leeds prime but I saw them in 96 (Quad tour) and it was still incredible

In terms of best live bands ever, obviously The Who are among the tops, I'd throw Talking Heads in that mix, and I have to mention as an experience seeing Roger Waters The Wall Live in 2010 was worthy of best show mentioning even if much of that (as good as the show was) was due to the amazing spectacle of it all (I think that was the best show I ever saw).

25. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

John was entertaining the ears :o;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.