Bands Or Artists You Think Should Like More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently on a Jim Croce kick, so he may be added to my collection. Keeping an eye out for this one...

[​IMG]

Darryl

2. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

I could and have tried to like XTC.I just can't stand their voices.

3. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

Pearl Jam. I love the genre and own most albums from the other big grunge bands but only a few from Pearl Jam and they rarely makes it into my rotation.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Van Morrison
    Black Sabbath
    Bruce Springsteen

Not embarrassed one bit either, have tried more times than I can say..
    Bruce & band were great as host band at the opening of the R'N'R HOF Concert in Cleveland, OH.
    Van was better with Them, I know the Dylan connection with both of these two, saw them tour
    together also... they just don't do it for me at all. BS nothing.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

elvis costello....alas, i literally can't stand anything by him other than 'watching the detectives' and 'alison'.

and believe me, i have tried.

Kingsley Fats and DiabloG like this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

On the understanding this is about a band or soloist who, based on my liking similar bands, should be "in my wheelhouse"...

Love. I am a fan of pretty much every other West Coast act from that period. Yet when I put this band on, it's like what's the big deal? I must be missing something.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. Blues rock guitar based is perhaps my favorite genre. And SRV is for some the favorite of the genre. But to me it's meh, all derivative, nothing stylistically his own. So why listen to him? I don't.

The Commodores. I am a big fan of every other band in their funk soul genre, and I do find The Commodores listenable. But I never find myself putting them on. I'd much rather listen to pretty much anyone else.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Same here, except the only song I kinda like is I'm Not Going to Chelsea. It's funny, I like new wave (even if I gravitate towards synthier stuff), yet Elvis has never interested me at all.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

whatever ephemereal 'artist' Pitchfork has glommed on to for the next day or so. Invariably these unburdened-by genre-or-musical-skill post neo-ironic geniusi invariably 'change the game'

9. Oscar Peterson.
    I have around 300/400 albums of piano jazz and a dozen or so by Oscar but he just doesn't push my buttons. I won't be trying again. I sometimes hear the phrase 'I've learned to love artist X'. To me that sounds suspiciously like 'I've forced myself to like/love artist X'. I can't help but feel there's something fraudulent in that approach. I'm not going to love anything or anyone despite myself, and certainly not to garner hipster points with other people.
    I give everyone I listen to a chance, but if I have to keep coming back hoping for incremental insights into the music...well I got better things to do.

10. JoseUnidos

JoseUnidos Forum Resident

I've tried several times but I just can't get into the Grateful Dead. There's certainly elements of the band that I appreciate, like Garcia's vocals (and the guy could play); but I can't quite put my finger on what puts me off - is it the songwriting? Weir's vocals? The two drummers? Deadheads? I dunno. Maybe you just had to have been there.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. I've gone the other way with Costello. I preferred his earlier voice before he sought help to beef it up. It was unmistakably his own and I've always thought it was more than enough to carry his songs. It had that inbuilt sneer that was perfect for his material. He sounds overwrought at times with his later style. His lyrics may still be insightful but the music sounds dull, dull, dull. I lost interest after Brutal Youth. The collaboration with Bacharach was brilliant in parts, (how could it not be?).

Woozoom939 and Lost In The Flood like this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Earlier in the thread I replied King Crimson, but it seems I was listening to the wrong albums. Loving Larks Tongues in Aspic through Red at the moment. I decided to give them one more shot a few weeks ago, so I threw on Larks, took a hit and it clicked. Still don't dig the earlier stuff much, but who knows?

13. zen

zen Senior Member

My wife and I were just talking about this topic last night....
    We both mentioned: Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen.

14. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I feel I should like King Crimson more. I only have 4 albums-In The Court Of The Crimson King, Beat, Three Of A Perfect Pair and Discipline, and it seems like I'm missing out on a lot, but I just haven't had the energy to investigate more.

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just added Three Dog Night.

Darryl

17. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

First one that comes to mind for me is Smithereens. It's odd, because I love REM and Smithereens seem to be in the same vein but I just can't seem to get into them.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The next one I'm considering is...
    Elton John
    I've always enjoyed his music.

Darryl

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

OK, just added Elton John to the collection.
    Another one I'm considering is Linda Ronstadt.

Darryl

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently listening to this...

[​IMG]

Darryl

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Wilco is a band I just don't get...

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I try to avoid phrases like 'don't get'
    I prefer to say ' I haven't seen the light yet'
    Which implies that someday I may 'see the light'
    I always like to keep an open mind when discussing these things.
    Several artist in my collection I have added, because it took me several tries before I 'saw the light'
    You never know when it will click.

Darryl

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The latest one I'm listening to is Chicago. Time will tell.
    Currently listening to this...

[​IMG]

Darryl

24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Eric Clapton. I like blues based rock, I have a few Cream albums, and really like his recreation of Jimi's Voodoo Chile with Winwood (for example 2010 Crossroads guitar festival), but between 1968 and 2010, I have nothing with him. Maybe one other exception, he played with Dire Straits on a few cool live songs. I also notice he is a common find in used cd bins, maybe one of the most common. I think it comes down to I prefer his guitar playing to his voice.

25. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Lou Reed. I have some of his albums but, as the thread title says, I should like him more.

Bob Dylan. Legendary songwriter, but I don't like his voice and that ruins it for me.