Cleveland, OH - Record Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by V I Aboytes, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

W-O-W!!! I just went to "Jerry's Records" facebook page and look who posted in June, after Jerry announced that he was retiring ...

Mr. Bill Inglot (of "RHINO" fame), which, in my opinion, speaks volumes for Jerry! NICE ...

Bill Inglot Never could have done my job for the last 30 years without Jerry's records and more importantly....Jerry.
    June 12 at 1:47am

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. Chris C

"The Exchange" (almost all locations), used to be the best for finding great used CD's, but now, they know when a "good one" comes in and they price it too high, much like the recent "CD Exchange" stores did, before they went belly-up! "CD Exchange" would have $100 bucks on a Michael Stanley Band CD, I mean, come on!!!

3. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

What type of music do you listen to?

I mostly listen to 80s through current day British / alt rock / indie / college rock bands and I routinely find a decent amount of mint or near mint cds of those types of artists in the $1 section. More so in the Coventry location than in the Willoughby location since Coventry seems to have a higher ratio of customers who buy hip-hop and pop albums; thus, the used rock cds they receive are probably more likely to remain unsold if priced too high.

I could be that I just buy out all of their gems in the $1 section before you get a chance to see them. If that is the case, sorry!

4. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Every once in a while, I find some gems in Half Price Book's $2 cd section as well. This past weekend, I picked up around 10 mint $2 cds at the Mentor location - it looked like they had just marked a bunch of cds down to clearance from their regular prices before I went into the store that day.

5. Chris C

I like "all" types of music, mostly 40's through the late '80's and believe me, I have found many decent deals for a buck at "The Exchange" locations, but they are usually CD's the average person would never buy, like the soundtrack to "Midnight Express" or some "Big Band" CD. I'm talking about the regualr priced CD's, like when a Hoffman DCC pops in the door and they charge more than the disc is worthy of, especially in the condition that many of that type arrive in. They feel that it's justified to sell a DCC CD just because it says DCC on it, no matter what condition it's in and I call them out on that!

6. Chris C

There was a time at "Half Price Books" where I found a stone mint original vinyl copy of "Presenting The Ronettes" on PHILLES, for $4 bucks and I about crapped myself when I made it out the door, as I figured that I had to of just committed some sort of crime! Of course, the "REAL" crime, was that they probably paid the guy that brought that in there, a buck or two, which clearly was WRONG, as that album lists in Tim Neely's Goldmine Price Guide for around $250 dollars!

clhboa likes this.
  7. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Ahh, I see. I too am confused by their sometimes seemingly incoherent pricing strategy. Like I said, I will find mint cds by non-top 40, but indie buzz bands, in the $1 section. Then, I will find scratched-to-hell cds by top-40 artists for close to the same price a new copy sells for on Amazon. I guess the average customer really has different priorities than us when making purchases.

Chris C likes this.
  8. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

In HPB's defense, I highly doubt that either the HPB employee or the seller to HPB has ever even heard of Tim Neely's Goldmine Price Guide.

9. Chris C

Good for us as buyers is all I can say, if that's the case? By the way, not sure if you know it or not, but Mr. Tim Neely is a member of this fine forum and he often chimes in with very informative posts!

DorothyV likes this.
  10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I keep the Goldmine guides around for general discographical information but the price information is quaint and useless today.

11. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

I'll second A Separate Reality. Great selection for Classic Rock, Prog and Psych. Prices are very reasonable and, as it was said before, Gus knows his stuff. Last time there about a month ago I chatted with him about Grand Funk for about 15-20 minutes and walked out with 3-4 nice records.

I'll hit that place anytime I'm in the Cleveland area.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the 'buybacks' chain is the exact same way.

ridiculously high prices on anything even close to collectible.

BTW - the 'buybacks' store in boardman ohio is gone, unless they moved for the second time in 2 years, i think they folded up shop.

13. Chris C

Our Buybacks is also gone, not that I ever went there anymore. I believe that they are down to a few stores, one in Elyria and one in Dublin (Columbus).

14. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Buybacks in Elyria used to give me decent money for CD's and DVD's. Now they're about as bad as The Exchange have become again. A few penny's for almost anything. Pass.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there is still one in niles ohio too.

Chris C likes this.
  16. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I also really liked A Separate Reality, though I was a bit confused by the layout/org at first.

I am all about any store that has a strong selection of late 80s era/early 90s era college rock, and they did.

17. Chris C

Yesterday I took the drive up to "A Separate Reality" (honestly the stupidest name for a record store ever, by the way) and I can clearly see how fans of Prog and Classic Rock would find this store a true gem, as they have a TON of that stuff and pretty reasonably priced at that. He also has a lot of other genres, like jazz and soul albums, which are probably good for a new fan of those formats, but he didn't have too many "harder to find" titles or artists in those genres. I wish that he had a better selection of singles (45 rpm), than he does, as that is what I like to collect the most these days. Being just around the corner from Tremont, where my wife and I often dine, it makes for a fun record store stop, without having to drive all the way to Mentor (Record Den) or the Beachland Ballroom area (Blue Arrow Records), which both for us, are in the middle of nowhere, with nothing for my wife to do, while I shop.

18. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Chris, isn't there a newish shop in Tremont or in Ohio City that just opened? I keep hearing about it but can never seem to find it when I am there.

Had not heard of Record Den or Blue Arrow, so may have to venture there next trip.

19. Chris C

The only record stores that I'm aware of near Tremont are "A Separate Reality" and "The Loop", which is more a coffee shop that also sells some records. Each time I go to The Loop, it seems that they are slowly shrinking their inventory. Most of their CD's (and they used to have walls and walls of them), are now down to just a small amount downstairs.

20. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I went to HPB's clearance sale today at the Cuyahoga County fairgrounds. It literally took me four hours to skim the spines of all of the cds they had there - and, I skim titles way faster than the average person.

I ended up buying 27 cds at $1 each. I could have bought way more, but I forced myself to exercise self-restraint. Plus, there were probably about an additional 2-3 dozen titles that I really wanted, but ended up passing on due to the physical condition of the particular cds.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

HPB"s ?????

22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Half Price Books. I saw the ones near me were having a clearance sale but I forgot to go. It's still on, maybe I'll take a run down there. Did they have any records?

23. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

They do have records at the sale - I am not sure the price or how many, though. I didn't have time to look at that section. I just recall seeing other shoppers with records in their hands/carts.

24. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

@ Mentor HPB found a nice Beatles Songs, Pictures And Stories with the Cleveland Concert Sticker for $5.00. I went in once with a VG peeled stereo butcher cover without a record. I was offered a nickel! They said without a record it wouldn't sell but they always have to make an offer. I've sold a few items there for pennies, and returned to see what they are charging; ridiculous! I called them once on it, and they whined about the overhead, that people aren't buying like they use to, and they usually end up throwing it out. What a joke!

25. Lesbeat

Lesbeat Forum Resident

As for the Den, they sell collectible stuff on amazon. I am the eggman, goo goo g'joob, I am the Walrus! Records, man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.