SH Spotlight "Cecilia Ann" by the Pixies, yes, I wrote & recorded the song as The Surftones with my buddy Frosty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Well I dig the album now.

ampmods likes this.
  2. @Steve Hoffman : What's the artifact at the very end of the track at 2:20? Listening to this now for the first time at work and can't quite make it out. Amp? Drum sticks?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That's me throwing down my drum sticks.

4. Blisters on your fingers? Nice way to end it!

5. Steve Hoffman

Next up, the surround remix!

InStepWithTheStars and Aftermath like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You know, I'd do it! :laugh:

7. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Love the cut Cecilia Ann by the Pixies, had no idea it was your's Steve, very cool!
    Ya know, the Bambi Molesters from the Croatia do a nice cover on the tune as well on their album Dumb Loud Hollow Twang. Surftones rock!

Whoops! (Didn't read the whole thread. Already mentioned)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  8. Great story and song! Thanks for sharing! But ain't Gabriel Fauré's Sicilienne the inspiration behind the melody line instead of Éric Satie? When you mentionned that, I figured the word play would be from a sicilienne, I looked up Satie + sicilienne on Youtube and came upon Fauré's piece instead, and it does sound like it to me...

Gabriel Fauré - Sicilienne, for cello & piano, Op. 78

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Plan9 likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Satie, Fauré, all those German composers get mixed up in my mind..;)

I'll fix my OP..

Plan9 and ParloFax like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Hey, just got a giant check for CECILIA ANN.

What's up? A new Pixies Box Set or something? Reissue? Anyone know? Something must be up..

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I don't think anything has changed since last September, has it been used in any tv/movies lately
    Are you bragging again Steve? ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  12. Steve Hoffman

My royalty check is up %300. Is that bragging? Nah, I'm just curious as to the reason why.

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Streaming perhaps? If the song has been featured in a playlist it may have gotten a bunch of hits.

Congratulations! :)

14. Steve Hoffman

Streaming? Hah, not a chance. No money there.

van1 likes this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I have a friend who's song ended up in a Wal-Mart playlist for about half of U.S. and he received a huge royalty check. Maybe something similar then.

16. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

That's great! One of my favourites from Bossanova, and I always wondered where it had came from. Cool to find out it was you. Did you ghostwrite any other songs, surf or not? It would be great to hear about it

17. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I've always loved the tune. Very impressed it was you behind the song.

Congrats!

J

18. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. It reached Spain. Impressive.

Jesus Jeronimo likes this.
  19. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Not only Spain....

...and quite elaborated!

20. Steve Hoffman

Nice.

21. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Seeing some of the outfit, i'm thinking more Genesis... :D

Steve, why not think for a B-side and release a 500-copies 45 7" for the forum? Think it will be sold out only on preorders...

22. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Indeed. Actually, one of the bands that it's linked in this thread is from Madrid!

J

23. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Finally got myself a copy of the Surf Legends CD as a little gift to myself for the holidays :) the sound quality is astounding, and it’s nice to finally hear your original version of “Cecilia Ann” after having read your story about it here so long ago. Just had a quick question about it!

I just finished ripping the disc on my PC, went to go hear Pipeline to hear what that anecdote in the liner notes was all about… I couldn’t find Pipeline! I’m looking, looking, looking… no Pipeline.

Heh. That’s weird. Pipeline is on the tracklist on the CD case! Track 8... well, the metadata EAC pulled from the internet tagged track 8 as “Intoxica” by the Revels. But I click it, and sure enough, it’s actually Pipeline.

So now I’m looking at the album’s entry on discogs and I can see there’s 2 versions of this disc - one with Pipeline as track 8, and another version with Intoxica as track 8. Shame it seems Pipeline was eventually removed as it seems that was really a highlight of the set. What’s the story behind this? A rights issue of some sort? I presume I got the “right” version of this CD, but now the completionist in me wants to find a copy with Intoxica as well!

24. Steve Hoffman

PIPELINE.

Rights struggle between Downey Music and Uni. Uni (very kindly) let us use it for three years and then we had to repress without it.

Uni let us use BOSS by the Rumblers as well. That's on there, right? Can't remember.

MrRom92 likes this.
  25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Ahhh I see. Interesting stuff. Yeah, seems Boss is track 6 on both versions. I bought on amazon and I imagine it’s totally up to chance whatever version a third-party seller might send you, so I’m glad I got the Pipeline one. I’d probably never have noticed had I received the other. Sounds sublime!