Paper Mache Dream Thread - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Travadinho, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

There are 2 points to this thread:

1) To discuss all things related to King Gizzy. This can include anything from new releases, live shows and touring, interviews, music videos, side projects/spin-offs (lookin at you, Murlocs!), fun facts, or just express your love for this prolific group.

2) To expose these fellas to those who aren't aware of their music. A band that has put out 10 albums, a couple of EPs, and several awesome music videos since 2012 (while also managing a small independent label) certainly merits recognition.

If people are interested in this thread, I'll update it now and then with various tidbits.

I'll just kick it off with a fun little fact. These cats are only about 23-24 or so. Here's an interview with Kenny when he was 16:

The Skateboard Shop

It's remarkable to think they've established such a high level of output at such a young age. And their sound is quite diverse to boot. They're absolutely brimming with creative energy. I'm excited to see what they can do in the future!

2. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Just saw that KG has released 2 new albums this year--I'll be curious to see what others think before taking the plunge.

3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

A solid band in need of some editing.

Nonagon Infinity is their high-water mark. For now

CrombyMouse likes this.
  4. Travadinho

I disagree (with both statements). Edit them down and they lose something that's setting them apart from other bands at the moment.

And NI is good, but Flying Microtonal Banana is really good. Maybe better. But, we're just sharing our opinions :)

bzfgt likes this.
  5. Travadinho

Why not just listen and judge for yourself? I'd start with I'm in your mind fuzz, probably. Their latest release, I feel, may not be (definitely isn't) the best starting point.

6. Django

Django Forum Resident

The king gizzard album I enjoy most is paper mache dream balloon.

7. Travadinho

That's a really solid album. I love 'cold cadaver' and 'most of what I like'

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've got four of their albums so far. The only question is: which pressing to buy? The varieties of colored vinyl editions is seemingly endless. Oh well, it's nice to have options!

9. Travadinho

I've gone with CDs myself, except for Quarters (which is vinyl only). I've invest too much into CDs to go vinyl, though I've picked up the rare one or 2.

They do have some cool looking vinyl though. And they tend to sell out fast.

10. Travadinho

notesofachord likes this.
  11. Travadinho

Here's some info about side/related projects:

The Murlocs are probably the most well-known band associated with King Gizzy. Ambrose Kenny-Smith (Gizzy's harmonica player - he's a REALLY good singer!) and Cook Craig (one of Gizzy's guitarists) are overlapping members. Their music is really good bluesy, soulful rock (check out 'Loopholes', 'Young Blindness', and 'Old Locomotive'). These guys rock:

Also, Cook Craig goes by an alias Pipe-Eye, which is responsible for some pretty good stuff as well. I'm not sure how's I'd describe the sound (kinda crazy, but catchy), but it's really good:

Laugh About Life - Pipe-Eye (Full Album)

The thing about these guys (and King Gizzy's early work) is that everything they do is self-released and can be really hard to find without obliterating your wallet. Here's hoping they gain a little more popularity so that their output becomes a little more accessible.

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    bzfgt likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

13. Travadinho

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Honestly I wasn't digging the vomiting space android thing, but jazzy and tropicalia sounds nice. I'll pick this new one up.

15. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

Flying Microtonal Banana is probably my AOTY so far

Travadinho likes this.
  16. Travadinho

I feel ya. I like the album, but it took time to grow on me. It has some really cool musical parts, but it isn't my fav. I respect the novelty and creativity of the project though.

I think I agree. Just the idea behind the album had me hooked. Here's hoping for a vol. 2!

17. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I preordered both of their 2017 albums and got their limited edition flightless coloured pressings, 2 of each.
    I'll be grabbing everything they release.

Finally a relatively new Aussie band I can get excited about and purchase, most of the new bands i discover cost me a fortune in shipping to the land of Oz.

Travadinho and Kevin j like this.
  18. Travadinho

Nice dude! Good to encounter other fans. I'm sure you saw my earlier post, but you should check out the Murlocs (in case you haven't heard them already). They have overlapping members with King Gizzy and they are really good. A little more radio-friendly, but they write great songs. Here's a track from each of their 3 albums:

Control Freak

Reassurance

19. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

Yeah it''s either FMB or Drunk by Thundercat right now. I would also like a v2. It's harder for me to throw on Murder of the Universe with all the spoken word parts. Haven't listened to the new collab album yet.

20. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Nonagon Infinity blew me away. Need to catch up with what's come since.

I love this band's attitude and their commitment to never standing still. A really exciting group.

21. Travadinho

Agreed. NI is a great album. I started off with I'm in your mind fuzz and was hooked from there. They have such a deep and varied catalog for such a young group. They'll inevitably slow down at some point. Putting out 5 albums in one year (if they manage to do this) is a tall drink of water, so I suspect they'll be relatively quieter over the next couple of years. I love their work ethic. And if you watch them in interviews, they all seem so positive and friendly:

22. Travadinho

Same here. I'm waiting on it to show up in my mailbox. I've recently gotten into the habit of not listening to a new release I really want until I get the physical copy. I find it kind of fun that way. By the time I got FMB, I'd already heard the whole thing from a streamed version.

23. Travadinho

Ahhhhh, sounds good live :uhhuh::

24. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I do the same, but with this latest album I listened to it and I have to say that I probably won't be buying it, just did nothing for me, which kind of shocked me because I was sure I'd love anything they released.
    I feel the same about the new Qotsa album too. I love the Gizzards and Queens but this new stuff isn't doing it for me.

25. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Yeah I've had a quick listen to The Murlocs, I'll have to have a deeper listen. There's SOO much good stuff coming out in the psych, space, stoner world that my pockets aren't deep enough to keep up.

michanes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.